Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In which order should I play these RTS's?

Options
  • 16-02-2010 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

First, I need to say I'm not looking for an online competitive RTS just yet. I'm looking for one that's mainly story driven.

I really liked the AoE series. Which are probably the last ones I really played to completion. I have a few options for what I should play next.

What order should I play these in and which should I avoid like the plague?

Command & Conquer - Tiberium Wars
    Command & Conquer - Red Alert 3
    Company of Heroes (Opposing Fronts, Tales of Valor)
    Demigod
    Helldorado
    Lost Empire Immortals
    Sins of a Solar Empire- Trinity
    Star Trek Legacy
    Stormrise
    Supreme Commander
    Tom Clancy's Endwar
    UFO: Afterlight
    UFO: Extraterrestrials
    Warhammer 40K- Dawn of War II
    World in Conflict (+ Soviet Assault)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

world in conflict + company of heroes definitely, supreme commander is... enjoyable. I havent played it online which is where I think it would really shine, but in single player while it's not an altogether unpleasant way to spend an evening it is kinda .. i dunno, lifeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

world in conflict + company of heroes definitely, supreme commander is... enjoyable. I havent played it online which is where I think it would really shine, but in single player while it's not an altogether unpleasant way to spend an evening it is kinda .. i dunno, lifeless.

In offline skirmish mode does World in Conflict or Company of Heroes allow for building bases? (like in Warcraft or Starcraft) I've played a bit of World in Conflict, but the lack of a centralized base to spawn units from kind of put me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Play CoH last because it will make all the other games seem inferior if you don't.
    Yes, there is base building but resource gathering is based on map control.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I still say that World in Conflict is better the Company of Heroes. Yes it lacks the base building elements, but its combat is 2nd to none imo. Sins of a Solar Empire is also good, but its a 4x game, so it can be quite a long term investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

if you are story driven then World in Conflict or try and get your hands on Homeworld
    Stromrise is supposed to be a right stinker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Reverse order!

Company Of Heroes definitely my pick for first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I'd definitely put world in conflict first if you're looking for a single player game, the competitive multi player is excellent but massive have always had a way with storytelling and mission design. Their previous series ground control, was lauded for the single player too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Demigod
    Helldorado
    Lost Empire Immortals
    Star Trek Legacy
    Stormrise
    Supreme Commander
    Tom Clancy's Endwar
    UFO: Afterlight
    UFO: Extraterrestrials
    World in Conflict (+ Soviet Assault)

Tom Clancy's Endwar
    Demigod
    World in Conflict (+ Soviet Assault
    Supreme Commander

Dont bother with stormrise,its awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Homeworld if you can find it! Best storyline in any RTS I've ever played

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Homeworld if you can find it! Best storyline in any RTS I've ever played

Yeah, absolutely, it's from back from when relic were concerned about plot and writing and settings and all that nonsensical stuff that gets thrown right out the window in their more modern games; in favour of SPACE MARINES shooting at VARIOUS RACES OF ALIENS.

• Advertisement
Advertisement