Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

which jazz bass??

• 16-02-2010 1:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭

Guys,

A simple question that I hope holds a simple answer

A lakland skyline Joe Osborn, or an American Deluxe Jazz bass...

I have looked into getting a Rick 4003, but finding them left handed is proving to be a pain in the arse.

I am really looking for something to work with my american P-bass. Something with a bit more growl/range of tone that will work well/better with effects like synth sounds and overdrives...

im a lefty too so options are limited... Also something of that shape, not mad about the warwick style/wood finish from a looks point of view...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I have never played a Lakland, but have read good reviews about them. Before you make up your mind, you might like to consider a G&L USA JB2.

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/USA/basses/JB2/index.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭yevveh

I'd second the G&L buzz, they seem like a great bass from reviews I've read. I reaaaaallly want to try an ASAT semi-hollow.

Personally I'm going for a Sandberg JM-5, Delano neck pup and Musicman style bridge humbucker. The bridge can be split into just a jazz as well. From reviews I've read you can get a great J, P and Stingray sound off it. Plus, it can be switched between active and passive. www.sandberg-guitars.de

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

Lakland are stunning bass guitars!!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭jarain

Another shout for the G&L, if your looking for growl they have it in spades. Fantastic basses. I have played Tributes and the American basses and both series are great, the Tribute Series in my opinion giving great vale for money.

I am a big fan of the Sandberg JM Series also, if you are looking to test one of them out they have a beautiful one in X-Music. Really good bass, a bit more versatile than the pure Jazz bass configuration.

If you're talking about the natural one with the block inlays, I ordered the 5-string version of that through X Music last month. They're expecting it by mid-March at the latest. /swoon

Also, I tried out a Sadowsky while I was in Sam Ash in New York and that was also a fantastic bass, though way expensive than the Sandberg iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Dude, www.xmusic.ie have a left handed Rick 4003 listed up on their site. http://www.xmusic.ie/RICKENBACKER-LEFTHANDED-4003-BASS-FIRE-GLOW-p-26104.html

mustiple post

Multiple post

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭jarain

yevveh wrote: »
    If you're talking about the natural one with the block inlays, I ordered the 5-string version of that through X Music last month. They're expecting it by mid-March at the latest. /swoon

Also, I tried out a Sadowsky while I was in Sam Ash in New York and that was also a fantastic bass, though way expensive than the Sandberg iirc.

Nice, yea that's the one. Was really impressed by it, serious piece of kit. I'd be interested to see what you think of it once you've had it for a bit.

jarain wrote: »
    Nice, yea that's the one. Was really impressed by it, serious piece of kit. I'd be interested to see what you think of it once you've had it for a bit.

Me too. I tried it out on one of the Bassman TV series in there, hopefully it sounds as good or better on my bassman at home :)

Incidentally, I didn't realise the OP was a lefty. All Sandberg stuff is handmade so you could easily order one if you were interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

The lefty thing is really such a pain. Was going to get a skyline, but they actually dont make it Lefty...

Ill go in to X-Music one of the days and ask about the G&L JB, but if im paying this much for a bass Ill have to get it in the right finish etc, which again makes things more difficult..

Ah Kev I didn't realise it was you! What's wrong with your Fender J? :P

Its me.. I was wondering why you didnt notice! I have a P, which is perfect for some songs, but for the songs with more effects Im looking for more of a range of tones. Just to compliment the other one really..

I only see signatures when I'm not signed in, 'novarock' isn't as much of a giveaway as your other forum name!

Well, the G&L and Sandberg I was talking about both seem to be able to get a good P, J and Musicman sounds according to reviews, and the Sandberg can go passive if effects sound better that way. I can't offer any more advice than that I'm afraid, I haven't played many more brands of bass.

how much did the sandberg set you back if you dont mind me asking? I can only count to four though... Also is yours one of the american ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

If you have the cash I'd say go for a Sandberg or maybe a Clover, those are hot! Both use Delanos which are really nice sounding pickups. I have a pair in my Jazz.

For the 5 string I'm expecting between 1800 and 2k, ain't the shop yet so I don't know exactly. for the 4 string I believe it's 1700 or 1800 in X Music, I'll let ya know next time I'm out. I'm told those prices include hardcases too.

They're all handmade in Germany as far as I'm aware, did you hear something about America? The price is pretty cheap for a brand like this as well, the Ricks and G&L's were all well above 2k in Musician anyway. By the way, if you go to the site, they do other basses than the JM, they have a PM as well which might make the transition easier ;)

Dord, did you put Delano's in a Fender or...? Glad to hear some more positive noise about them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

novarock wrote: »

Ill go in to X-Music one of the days and ask about the G&L JB, but if im paying this much for a bass Ill have to get it in the right finish etc, which again makes things more difficult..

X Music dont do G&L any more. At least not when I was last there looking to buy one.

BTW, one of the best range of tones available on any bass is on the G&L L 2000. If you want a choice of neck sizes you would have to get a USA one, as the Tribute only comes in 1.75" at the nut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

yevveh wrote: »
    For the 5 string I'm expecting between 1800 and 2k, ain't the shop yet so I don't know exactly. for the 4 string I believe it's 1700 or 1800 in X Music, I'll let ya know next time I'm out. I'm told those prices include hardcases too.

They're all handmade in Germany as far as I'm aware, did you hear something about America? The price is pretty cheap for a brand like this as well, the Ricks and G&L's were all well above 2k in Musician anyway. By the way, if you go to the site, they do other basses than the JM, they have a PM as well which might make the transition easier ;)

Dord, did you put Delano's in a Fender or...? Glad to hear some more positive noise about them :)

Nah, it's a bass I had Derrick Nelson put together for me. I sourced the parts and he did the work... I was a bit lazy/scared I'd screw it up. :o

It has an Audere JZ-3 preamp. Pretty cool!

sherwoodbody.jpg

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Own two Musicmans myself (a Sterling and A Singray) and I love there sounds. However if your looking for a flexible bass id seriously go for a G&L over anything. There spectacular basses that you can get sounding pretty close to a P a J and a Ray.

The fact you mentioned a Lakland and a Rickenbacker makes me think that it really isnt an issue but if your stuck for cash their tribute series of basses are also pretty dammed cheap for the amount of bass your getting if you cant afford a USA model.

My 2 cents....

• Advertisement

In a complete reversal - and after getting pissed off with the realisation that these companies would prefer not to be making left handed guitars - I have nearly decided on a 3EQ stingray.... What do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

novarock wrote: »
    In a complete reversal - and after getting pissed off with the realisation that these companies would prefer not to be making left handed guitars - I have nearly decided on a 3EQ stingray.... What do you think?
    Go for it...best basses EVER! (well not for everyone but god dam I love them)

Advertisement