Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guys and Chick Litt.

Options
  • 16-02-2010 2:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭

It began when my girlfriend and I moved in together back in college - a Cosmo she left lying around here, a Cecilia Ahern there. At first it was slow to develop.

But it wasn't long before the darling, although nigglingly silly, reading material of the modern 23 year old white female began to permeate my life.

I'd get home from college by myself, and all I'd think of was how things were going to turn out between Rosie and Alex... I'd titter along with the girls of "Where Rainbows End" with a hot cocoa... and wonder, did 10 tips for bigger hair apply to men too?

I suppose it was a sort of sisterly comfort. But I do admit I once turned down a night down the pub to finish "I Never Fancied Him Anyway"

So guys, would you ever read your girlfriends chick litt? Would you judge your mates for doing so?

And girls, would you care if they stole your Cosmo?

Is it acceptable for a guy to read his other half's chick litt? 54 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    37%
    Karl HungusKorvanicagrizzlyNiall09fulhamfanincorkmoonflowerwill1977K4tNothingMandimple_smileshivvybanRed_MarauderMidnight_EGhappyfridayBDRBonitoBluesBerryDublin ChickForest MasterGaunty 20 votes
    Only if his other half is called Frank
    62%
    Stephensicklesuper_furryomahaidmathieyoucancallmealm5ex9oqjawdg2ipajodublinbillymitchellAlessandraGLaDOSAsmodeanXavi6dr.bollockoWazdakkaAnonoBoychin_grinAldebaranzac8DevilsBreath 34 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

LGB Forum --->

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I can't read my girlfriends 'chick litt'. :(

who knows what shes reading?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

But I do admit I once turned down a night down the pub to finish "I Never Fancied Him Anyway"

Was this before or after you handed your testicles to your girlfriend on a plate?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

clit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

Wait, what the hell is chick litt?

Are there two Ts in literature these days?

My answer to the poll question is, if it deteriorates one's ability to spell and hence abbreviate properly, then no, it's not acceptable.

ptch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

You are so yesterday honey. Thats the hot new thing right now, I read it in Vouge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

So guys, would you ever read your girlfriends chick litt?
    And girls, would you care if they stole your Cosmo?

Was in town the other day, so decided I'll treat myself and splash out on a copy of Vogue.
    That's me barred from Easons for the foreseeable future...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

You know the way sometimes you say two words and first letter on each is swapped.

Would be well embarrassing to go into Eason's (Waterstone's Brummy ;)) and ask where the 'Lhick Clit' section is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Never, and I tend to keep it that way too...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

It's not acceptable if the drivel she's reading is called something such as 'I Never Fancied Him Anyway'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Would be well embarrassing to go into Eason's (Waterstone's Brummy ;)) and ask where the 'Lhick Clit' section is.
    A lot of fellas still wouldn't be able to find it though... ;) :pac:

I read The Time Traveler's Wife, was better than the movie.

Usually don't mind a good love story on film either, if it has a good script, I'll watch anything.

Favourite love story movie would be Frankie & Johnny, the Al Pacino and Michelle Ppffhheiereerrr one, not the Elvis one.

Also, who hasn't cried when Rob Lowe leaves Demi Moore in About Last Night and says it was a mistake to move in with her.

I'm welling up now ffs :(

• Registered Users Posts: 78,431 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I suppose it was a sort of sisterly comfort. But I do admit I once turned down a night down the pub to finish "I Never Fancied Him Anyway"

At the end of a night out, while waiting for a hackney, I realised I had Cauldron in my pocket and despite some young one in the queue trying to chat me up, I stuck with the guys trying to sink an aircraft carrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The-Rigger wrote: »
    clit?

I knew a Father CLINT Power....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

No
    One of the most intelligent guys I know, an English student, has publicly confessed his adoration for the Twilight series. They are not the most well written books around and literary snobs will of course look down upon them, but they serve a purpose and are light relief, relief which can be enjoyed by both women and men. I don't read chick lit however and hope to never feel the need do so. Give me Wuthering Heights anyday.

Edit: The answer is yes, and my friend would take anyone here in a fight fyi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

K4t wrote: »
    they serve a purpose and are light relief, relief which can be enjoyed by both women and men.
    Are we still talking about the clit?

K4t wrote: »
    they serve a purpose and are light relief, relief which can be enjoyed by both women and men.
    Dudess wrote: »
    Are we still talking about the clit?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Wouldnt read it myself. Not because I need to bolster my macho image (sculpting a gun as i type with one hand :D )but because I wouldnt find it remotely interesting. It would bore me to tears. In the same way that the majority of women wouldnt read Top Gear magazine or buy the latest issue of Custom PC. Yeah, its a stereotype but that doesnt make it untrue.

OP if you like it read away.

Ya puff! ;)

You know the way sometimes you say two words and first letter on each is swapped.

Spoonerisms.

http://en.pikiwedia.org/wiki/Spoonerism

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Don't read it myself but then again my girlfriend reads good books so the temptation wouldn't be there. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Dudess wrote: »
    A lot of fellas still wouldn't be able to find it though... ;) :pac:

as long as we found what we wanted it doesn't matter :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

You're a man Damnit...
    Act like it.

If you're going to read all this sensitive lovey dovey chick lit crap, then it better have pictures of naked women in it..

And even then, you should only be pretending to read it so that you can look at the pictures of naked women without you'r girlfriend knowing.

There are completely legitimate books where both genders can read,
    But if you are a man.. and start actually caring if X will get with Y after he cheated with Z's sister but it's ok because it was a midlife crisis.. ect..ect.. You are reading the wrong book!!
    And chances are, if you've gotten that far into it..
    You have The Ghey..

Oh and for all those guys that think Twilight is legitimate`Sci-fi or fantasy...

IT'S NOT!!

It's written for 13 year old girls.
    If you like it, I suggest you buy some tampax little lady, Because if you've never had a period before you are probably dangerously close to getting one soon.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Vaccuous masturbatorial drivel for pre-menopausal women?
    I'll stick with autotrader thanks.

How VERY dare you.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

So guys, would you ever read your girlfriends chick litt? Would you judge your mates for doing so?And girls, would you care if they stole your Cosmo?

Have done, only because I was in bed with the flu and didn't feel like getting up, the only thing within reaching distance was the OH's pile of crap. Weird thing is Cosmo and the likes are actually more interesting than the usual lads mags.

Far as I know those two were always there :rolleyes:;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

I'm welling up now ffs :(

lmfao! :D

i dunno how anyone reads chick lit. its woeful sh!te. SH!TE I TELLS YE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭3qsmavrod5twfe

I have one simple rule if my OH asks me to read something, and it goes like this.

Can the plot be summarised as "One woman's struggle to <whatever>". If so I'm not reading it.*

*N.B. As always there is an exception to the rule. The exception is that if <whatever> is "lay waste to a post-apocalyptic world with her cadre of highly sexed lesbian nude Heidi Klum look-a-likes" and it is a pop-up-book I might give that the 3 to 5 minutes it would require.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

No

My answer to the poll question is, if it deteriorates one's ability to spell and hence abbreviate properly, then no, it's not acceptable.
    Litt is in reference to the latin Litterae. Such as, one might be awarded an M.Litt.
    You know, Chick litt. being particularly high brow stuff, it deserves the latin.
    They are not the most well written books around and literary snobs will of course look down upon them, but they serve a purpose and are light relief, relief which can be enjoyed by both women and men.
    Exactly. I wouldn't consider myself dumb, but you don't have to be dumb to enjoy light entertainment... Posting in AH, for example!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Okay, okay.

I'll admit to it, I once read a Chick book :(

It was 2005 and I was living in Spain at the time and just fancyied something to read in English so as to give me a break from all the Spanish literature.

I had exhausted all the other books in the apartment and didn't fancy reading them twice, so stumbled across a book called 'Promises, Promises'* that a lass left after her visit, so decided to tackle that.

It started off slow and I'll admit, it was a tad embarrasing. I'd carefully hide the cover as I took it out on the train as it was a big picture of two engagement rings.

It was a thick book and I spent quite a bit of time reading it, got into it and all was great. Would Sarah** get to open her cafe and if so would it be a success? Would Jim and Anne get back together?

This however grew tiresome and my masculine side craved the ending and promised never to read another one of these books again, so I read on with much haste and some slight anticipation.

A week or so later, I go to the ending. It shocked me to say the least, my first experience with a Chick Lit and this was it.

I'm going to put a spoiler over the ending, just incase someone is reading this book at the moment:
    To be continued.

I wanted to rip that book apart with absolute fury.
    * Cannot think of name but was something like this.
    ** Characters names are made up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

I'm a girl and I hate everything to do with "chick lit". For the most part it stereotypes our gender as being obsessed with men and how badly they treat us. The constant need to discuss handbags and shoes just says we have little else going on in our brain. I often wonder if men realise that these books do not reflect the way every woman thinks and behaves..

Advertisement