Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxing issue... Tax Back

Options
  • 16-02-2010 5:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I am nearing the end of my WHV, and i'm thinking about my tax situation, I was on to taxback.com, and the likes, but they're all charging a fee. I've no problem with this but if I could do the necessary paper work myself and save a few hundred quid then happy days. Has anyone here claimed taxback on their own, without agents?

As per usual thanks in advance for any assistance!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Yes, it's called a tax return and we do them every year. I paid H&R Block $30 to do it last year, which I claim back on this years return. Taxback.com are daylight robbery. There's nothing to stop you self filing and the ATO even let you download a software program to make it easier. Look at www.ato.gov.au

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Yeah it is extremely easy

do you want to claim before year end (i.e. leaving oz)

just fill out a tax claim (either a tax pack, or use etax) and a lot of it is automatic

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

hussey wrote: »
    do you want to claim before year end (i.e. leaving oz)...

I'll probably have to leave Oz just short of my full year, (due to work or lack thereof!) which ends in May, I understand that July is the end of the tax year, If, for example, I left in mid-March - Do I have to wait until the end of the tax year before I get my refund?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

DamoDLK wrote: »
    I'll probably have to leave Oz just short of my full year, (due to work or lack thereof!) which ends in May, I understand that July is the end of the tax year, If, for example, I left in mid-March - Do I have to wait until the end of the tax year before I get my refund?

Cheers

Nope you can apply when you leave, once you are sure you won't get back, just need to fill out a tax return with a 'leaving early' form, I actually did one for a friend of mine last week, so if you have any questions ask away

Link to leave early form
    etax link

what you do is fill out eTax 09, print it out and send it in to tax office, but cross out 2009 and write 2010 on it instead

• Registered Users Posts: 7,862 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Definately 100% do it yourself.

Also, if u were in one place for 6 months when u were workin then stick down "aussie resident for tax purposes". sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

just be weary - i put mine in before Christmas and they will not start processing applications again until april...something about a software upgrade - you're probably better off waiting until July and filling it in as normal using etax

FreeAnd.. wrote: »
    just be weary - i put mine in before Christmas and they will not start processing applications again until april...something about a software upgrade - you're probably better off waiting until July and filling it in as normal using etax

Well you see thats the very thing, i've never completed one down here before. Its all new to me! Cheers all the same tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

FreeAnd.. wrote: »

scratch that - just got it lodged into my account yesterday so the bullsh*ted me on the phone...not that Ill be complaining :)

- The only reason I suggested filling it in using eTax as normal (i.e. actually using the application to submit online) was that it usually only takes about a week or two to be processed and this is far quicker than submitting by post...As for all third party agencies e.g taxback...avoid at all costs, they will need the same information you will have to provide yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 29 smithy3000

hussey wrote: »
    Nope you can apply when you leave, once you are sure you won't get back, just need to fill out a tax return with a 'leaving early' form, I actually did one for a friend of mine last week, so if you have any questions ask away

Link to leave early form
    etax link

what you do is fill out eTax 09, print it out and send it in to tax office, but cross out 2009 and write 2010 on it instead

Hi i left oz a month and im trying to claim my tax back also, ive printed out the leave early form, after i fill that out do i have to fill out an etax form? ive downloaded etax program but it says invalid tax file number when i put in mine? im not sure why it says its invalid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Is it your first tax return in Australia? You have to have done at least 1 tax return in the last 5 years.

More info here

• Advertisement

smithy3000 wrote: »
    Hi i left oz a month and im trying to claim my tax back also, ive printed out the leave early form, after i fill that out do i have to fill out an etax form? ive downloaded etax program but it says invalid tax file number when i put in mine? im not sure why it says its invalid?

The TFN has to be issued before 30 May 2009, do you know when yours was issued?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Is there any time period you need to claim your tax in?

Worked in Australia 10 years ago and didn't claim back anything. I assume it's too late now but just wondering really :)

Thanks

Advertisement