Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OUTRAGE! British imperialists Drilling For Falkland Oil.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I never said the population has to leave. Just as if the North of Ireland was handed back to Ireland tomorrow i wouldn't expect any population that sees themselves as British to leave. Obviously if there was a handover it would have to be under terms to protect the lives of people who have established a living there.

The British didn't care about the inhabitants of Diego Garcia when they acquired that from the French and gave it to the US to set up military bases. But not before depopulating the area by force of over 2000 locals who had been living there close to 200 years. These double standards seem to exist all over the world and it's strange that only these powerful nations get away with it.

And what i said is true. It is just a short version of what you can read in any history book. The British didn't want to go to war with a joint Spanish and French alliance over the islands so they were happy to not occupy the island then. The Spanish had occupied it and when they left Argentina shouldn't it be assumed the island which is only miles off the coast become part of the newly independent Argentina as it was ruled under the same Spanish colonial rule?

Because Spanish imperialism is OK, and British imperialism isn't. Right. I think if the thread really is just going to revolve around that, it's not worth leaving it open.

amused,
    Scofflaw

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement