Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My Couch to 5k

• 16-02-2010 9:06am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So for years I've always tried to keep reasonable fit and keep the weight down,

I used to cycle to work every day and I'd clock up between 10-16km a day due to the route I'd take, however just under 2 years ago and I moved and now I have to drive to work (35mile commute).

So now I try keep keep somewhat fit by walking atleast 2-4 times a week on average on a 4.7km route, as time goes on though I'd like to do more and in a faster time.

Yesterday I started day one week one of couch to 5k so should be interesting to see how it turns out.

My first aim is run 5km solid then upto 10k and take it from there,
    6 foot, just under 15 stone at present....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Best of luck with your goals. take it easy at the start, ease yourself in gradually, follow the program and in a few months you won't recognise yourself.

Will keep a eye on your progress:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Best of luck with the goal Cabaal. Even if you currently have no ambitions to race, or enter races, it's a good idea to sign up for one anyway, as it'll help with the motivation and give you something to aim for. http://www.racepix.com/Race-Calendar/ has a pretty complete calendar. There are a number of decent mass-participation events over the next few months.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd see doing a race as far off but certainly a goal down the line,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Best of luck Cabaal. You will be amazed with how quickly you see improvements when following that plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Good luck cabaal.

The key is to take it nice and handy for a while,no sense pushing yourself to hard too early....enjoy it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Yep best of luck with the training Cabaal. The main thing is to enjoy it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

First did my second day of week 1 of couch to 5k this evening, 4.7km in total is the route I took, have to honestly say I didn't find it as hard as lasttime..wasn't as nackered and didn't end up with a painfull stitch in my side like lasttime.

Really looking forward to my third run on Friday, I'm very aware of not pushing myself too much as I don't want to end up not being able to do this and starting all over again

Started Week Two Day 1 of the Couch to 5k lastnight, my legs and feet really felt it afterwards, none the less I continue on and I'm actually looking forward to my next run tomorrow (Tuesday).

Overall maybe I'm imagining it but I feel abit better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭farmerval

Well done Cabaal, I'm at the same stage, have done two week two sessions, will do two more this week and start week three next weekend. It's not as hard as I expected, (I'm 45 and quite overweight, and never been a runner) Keep us posted on your progress.

So got sick on Wednesday so no running on Thurday, Friday or Saturday.

Attempted a run today but almost killed myself, overall I'm really annoyed as I was due to start week 3 of couch to 5k today :(

• Advertisement

Went to the Dr Monday. have a chest infection and on a course of antibiotics I'm out of breath if I even go up and down the stairs a few times :mad:

This is really setting me back but I'm determent not to let it stop me,

Antibiotics are finished Sunday so will head back walking on Monday perhaps and take it slow and build things back up keeping check as I go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Melia

Hi Cabaal,

Hope you're feeling better. Did you get back to Couch To 5K? I'm just starting off myself, so I'm having a nose through everyone's logs!

Melia, I started back Saturday properly again and I'm very happy with my progress.

I tried running last Monday (8th) with my old shoes which I used for all my other runs upto now and the shinsplints really killed me also my knees were killing me, so I ended up walking most of the way.

So during the week I ordered a pair of Nike LunarGlide+ from prodirectrunning.com (they got very good reviews from what I had found when I did abit of research), I picked them up from the courier on Saturday morning and went for a run on Saturday evening

Saturday's Run was:
    2.88miles
    time of 41.57
    Pace of 14.34 per mile

After the run felt no pain in my shins or knees so very impressed with the new shoes, felt so good I went for another run lastnight,

Sundays Run was:
    3.10miles
    time: 44.05
    pace of 14.13 per mile

This morning I feel a bit of pain in my shins as I pushed myself that little bit more last night and really yesterday should have been a rest day.

None the less I'm half tempted go for another run tonight but I think its best to wait till Wednesday so I can get back into my proper routine of three runs a week (Sunday. Wed, Fri)

Because of the chest infection and lack of running for 2 weeks I restarted week 2 of the couch to 5k but I might start week 3 on Wednesday now.

Hi Cabaal, switching to a different set of runners won't 'cure' your shin-splints (or knee issues for that matter), but they can prevent them from reoccurring. If you are already suffering from shin-splints, the typical route is ice, elevation, compression, rest, blah, blah, blah.

You have to be careful with shin-splints, as sometimes the pain fades as soon as you start running (after the first mile or so). This doesn't mean they've gone away. Additionally, most people would never buy a pair of shoes without trying them on. You have to consider gait/fit/support/cushioning/weight/etc. The recommended route is to visit a running shop that will perform a gait analysis,and suggest a range of running shoes based on your gait.

Hi Cabaal, switching to a different set of runners won't 'cure' your shin-splints (or knee issues for that matter), but they can prevent them from reoccurring. If you are already suffering from shin-splints, the typical route is ice, elevation, compression, rest, blah, blah, blah.

I certainly realise that they are still there alright but perhaps not as prominant, in relation to help with them while I haven't done ice I do go with as cold a water as I have available after the run.

I don't have anything for compression, is this recommended?
    You have to be careful with shin-splints, as sometimes the pain fades as soon as you start running (after the first mile or so).

I've experienced this before with my other shoes, first mile or so would be awful painful but about 2miles in I'd be fine. Monday 8th however they didn't go away so I ended up walking home.

While its very early days I haven't experienced them while running yet with the newer shoes.

My older runners were unsuitable for running as they were not designed for it...they are just hiding runners so they have little to no give in them with they hit a surface when compared to the Nike's

Additionally, most people would never buy a pair of shoes without trying them on. You have to consider gait/fit/support/cushioning/weight/etc. The recommended route is to visit a running shop that will perform a gait analysis,and suggest a range of running shoes based on your gait.

fair enough you got me there :)
    I was aware of this however I didn't want the hassel of going to a shop etc just yet, I did look at guides online in relation to working out gait and pronation and I did purchase the new shoes based on these results....while obviously not as accurate I figured better then nothing

Maybe it was a cop out, I guess I may look at the shop route next time around.

Cabaal wrote: »
    I certainly realise that they are still there alright but perhaps not as prominant, in relation to help with them while I haven't done ice I do go with as cold a water as I have available after the run.

I don't have anything for compression, is this recommended?
    I bought the cheapest bag of sweet-corn you can find in Dunnes Stores. It's perfect for icing (just remember never to eat it!). Just chuck it back in the freezer when you're done. There are various other ways of doing this, but for €1 (with a near-infinite number of re-uses) it's great value for money. :)

Your local chemist (or LIDL on occasion) sell support bandages (usually around €10). Throw it onto the shin(s) after icing, and leave it on.

It typically takes weeks (not days) to get over shin-splints. Stick to grass for a while. Run circuits in a park (the bigger the park the better) and consider some calf and shin strengthening exercises.

I bought the cheapest bag of sweet-corn you can find in Dunnes Stores. It's perfect for icing (just remember never to eat it!). Just chuck it back in the freezer when you're done. There are various other ways of doing this, but for €1 (with a near-infinite number of re-uses) it's great value for money. :)

Simple but affective, must pick something up in Lidl and make sure Mrs Cabaal doesn't open and cook them :D
    Your local chemist (or LIDL on occasion) sell support bandages (usually around €10). Throw it onto the shin(s) after icing, and leave it on.

I'll keep an eye out for them
    It typically takes weeks (not days) to get over shin-splints. Stick to grass for a while. Run circuits in a park (the bigger the park the better) and consider some calf and shin strengthening exercises.

I can try for the grass but its not ideal, any suggestions for the exercises?

I used something similar to these. Everyone goes through shin splints at some point (if you're new to running). Sometimes they re-appear later, when you spend too much time on hard surfaces (e.g. concrete).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

Lots of information on shin splints here.

I also used to suffer badly with them until I changed shoes, since then I have found foam rolling really helps too and unlike rolling other parts of the body, the shins are not that painful to roll.

I used something similar to these. Everyone goes through shin splints at some point (if you're new to running). Sometimes they re-appear later, when you spend too much time on hard surfaces (e.g. concrete).

Thanks I'll take a look later
    Most of my running is on tarmac at present, though I may try to move to grass if I can
    Sub430 wrote: »
    Lots of information on shin splints here.

Thanks looks pretty detailed as well,
    I also used to suffer badly with them until I changed shoes, since then I have found foam rolling really helps too and unlike rolling other parts of the body, the shins are not that painful to roll.

Although its very early days I believe the news shoes have to atleast help a little compared to my old shoes, they are like walking on air by comparrison to the old one's :)

• Advertisement

Was going to go for a run last night but decided against it, instead took day of rest and will now start running again tonight, aiming for 5k, if I can I'll be running on grass

Ran just over 5.2km lastnight,
    Distance: 3.48miles
    Pace: 14.28 per mile
    Time: 50min 22sec

Started week three of the couchto5k podcast and on the second 3min run I really felt it as my route meant it was all uphill :eek:

None the less I carried on, shins are still at me abit have started the exercises though and they aren't as bad as they were previously but still distracting.

Might go for a sort 3km run this evening all on grass if I can, I tried on and off running on grass lastnight during the run and it certainly appeared to ease the pain to my shins

Did a run on grass this evening
    Time 20min 21sec
    pace: 13.31 per mile
    distance 1.51 miles

Shins hurt alot at the end, place I choose not the best perhaps found it very uneven but when I went back onto tarmac on the way home my shins really felt it :(

Filled the bath with cold water and put my legs into it for a good 20min afterward, they're still tender at the moment but no where near as bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Try to avoid running two days in a row - a day off after each run gives your legs a chance to recover.

Took a few days break to see if pains would reduce, they didn't by much :(

Went for a run lastnight
    Distance: 2.50 miles
    Time: 38min
    Pace: 15.17 per mile

Really hurt towards the end, things are not going great

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Have you been to physio or have you self diagnosed? Shin splints is a tough one because it's not technically an real injury, it's a generic term to describe problems in the shin area really.
    Stretching the calfs and self massage always helped me, anytime it got bad I'd ice it regurlarly and take some anti-inflammatories. You should be ok to keep running with them especially if you have grass to run on.

Been a while since I got shin splints.

If it's so bad you can't run you really should see someone about it, there are numerous things that can cause pain in your shins so unless you can find the root of the problem it will just keep coming back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Cabaal it took ages for my shins to settle when I started first. Even after a few months running I remember abandoning a few attempts at running as it got too painful. It eventually settled... I'm not sure why. Maybe a combination of better shoes and mixing the running surfaces. I avoid concrete altogether now and try to keep road running to only once or twice a week. Other than that I do as much as I can on wood trails and on a track once a week if I can.
    After a winter of running mostly on the treadmill they did re-appear when I started back on the road again which tells me it's more to do with the surface than anything.

Have you been to physio or have you self diagnosed?

Self diagnosed tbh
    Shin splints is a tough one because it's not technically an real injury, it's a generic term to describe problems in the shin area really.
    Stretching the calfs and self massage always helped me, anytime it got bad I'd ice it regurlarly and take some anti-inflammatories. You should be ok to keep running with them especially if you have grass to run on.

I put them in freezing water for a good 15min lastnight, it did help but it was very cold :pac: I also performed stretching and massaged the area and its alot better today compared to other days after a run

If it's so bad you can't run you really should see someone about it, there are numerous things that can cause pain in your shins so unless you can find the root of the problem it will just keep coming back.

I'm going to see how things go but if it doesn't clear up I'll arrange to see someone
    littlebug wrote: »
    Cabaal it took ages for my shins to settle when I started first. Even after a few months running I remember abandoning a few attempts at running as it got too painful. It eventually settled... I'm not sure why. Maybe a combination of better shoes and mixing the running surfaces. I avoid concrete altogether now and try to keep road running to only once or twice a week. Other than that I do as much as I can on wood trails and on a track once a week if I can.
    After a winter of running mostly on the treadmill they did re-appear when I started back on the road again which tells me it's more to do with the surface than anything.

Interesting alright, its still pretty much early days so I'll have to see how things progress

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm trying desperately not to give 'medical advice' here but icing once a day isn't really enough, you need to do it 2-3 times a day to have any benefit, you also need to stretch about every 6 hours. One of the best calf stretches you can do is off a step, stand on your bottom step with your heels hanging off, bring the hips forward and you should feel a really, really good stretch in the calves. There's a yoga pose as well that is brilliant but it's too hard to put into words. You need to hold the stretch for at least 15 seconds aswell.

• Advertisement

+++++++1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭Fluffybums

I've just completed the first week of the couch to 5k, program. I'm in my mid 40's overweight and have not done any running/jogging since my 20s. I have kept reasonably fit swimming, it has been my main form of exercise all my life to date.
    Last night I had really painful cramping pain down the outside of my shins, I think it is just muscle pain but was wondering as I have high arches in my feet and a tendency to roll my feet to the outside could this be the cause? I don't suppose the hilly route and uneven road helped.
    Does anyone know if the compression clothing in the form of tights/socks would help with the shin pain?
    I'm using Saucony running shoes I purchase a number of years ago the last time I thought I would start jogging/running but didn't so they are as new.

Can some one recommend a good shop in Kilkenny or Waterford to go to to get new shoes?

Sorry for all the questions, I really don't want to do more harm than good by starting running (well it's a slow jog when at the moment:o, I look more like an 80 year old running - and that would be insulting an 80 year old runnner!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭southofnowhere

As someone who is currently laid up and has suffered shin splints plenty of times I'd say forget about socks.

Of course go get gait analysis and a good pair of runners, but even with them you, like me, are a novice and carrying a bit of extra weight so concrete is to be avoided at all costs I feel.

Forgetting that (and over enthusiasm) led to my current demise. Also I would say forget hills too. You are only starting out and it's unnecessary pressure.

Got a park, pitch, fields or anything close by that will be kinder to your limbs?

Oh and one last bit of advice I also tended to ignore through stupidity, but will not be ignoring anymore - warm up properly and STRETCH.

Loads of vids on youtube if you need to look at different stretches and find what works for you.

Right I'm back,

So due to pain I took a two week rest...well last week wasn't by choice as I was working lates it meant I wasn't home till 10pm and wasn't in the mood to run.

Anyway it seems to have really helped me ALOT, I've decided to slow my stride by a fair bit for two reasons:
    - I felt I was over exerting/stretching myself on each stride
    - because I was doing the above I'd be wrecked

So on Monday evening I ran approx 3.5km non-stop at a much slow pace then I've done before and I felt great, very little discomfort and no pain the next day....sadly battery died on my iPod so have no stats for it.

However I did do a run on Friday 9th

Just over 5km or 3.50miles non-stop (prior to this I was start and stopping)
    Time: 43min 29sec
    Pace: 12.25per mile

Felt great afterwards and no pain the next day or today at all, ok I've dropped speed alot but I feel this is the best way as I can build towards increasing speed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Felt great afterwards and no pain the next day or today at all, ok I've dropped speed alot but I feel this is the best way as I can build towards increasing speed
    Don't worry about pace now, it will come with time. Couch to 5k is all about slowly getting your body used to the stresses and strains of running really.

Don't worry about pace now, it will come with time. Couch to 5k is all about slowly getting your body used to the stresses and strains of running really.

Yeah I've decided I'm not concerned about speed and its more about distance and getting used to it all, speed comes later :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭southofnowhere

Glad to hear pain is gone, fair play on the sensible approach and best of luck.

So ran this evening
    Distance: 3.38miles or 5.43km
    Pace: 11.27 mile or 7min 7sec km
    Time: 38min 40sec

Little pain in right shin but not too bad, felt pretty good for most of it and towards the end felt I could have run another 2 or so km but didn't want to push it.

One of these days I must run on a flat route because my route is somewhat hilly, be interesting to see how I'd do :)

Distance: 5.96km
    Pace: 7.27
    Time: 44min 26sec

Not far off 6km and stopped about two-three times during the run, getting really sick of the hills on my route so I'm looking for an alternative flat(ish) route I can run to get a better idea of distance that I can do.

Felt minor pain around my left shin during the first 2km of the run but it faded, got home did stretches and put ice against it and it was fine after that....seems to be ok this morning as well.

Right shin seems to be fine,

So after having my Trek 7.1 FX sitting in my house this past year that I haven't used I decided I might do a small bit of cycling on my running rest days, would there be any potential problems doing this?

So after having my Trek 7.1 FX sitting in my house this past year that I haven't used I decided I might do a small bit of cycling on my running rest days, would there be any potential problems doing this?
    No. In fact it should aid recovery, as it's non load-bearing (doesn't apply the same stresses to your body, and employs some different muscles). If you're cycling hard though, it may contribute to increased tiredness, so just watch out for signs of over-training. Like the running, start easy and build up (or in my case, keep it easy!).

BTW: Great progress on the running. If you want to run further, run slower. The longer you're out there, the more calories you burn. Go visit interesting places. Bring a portable camera. win-win-win-win!

• Advertisement

Distance: 6.28km
    Pace: 7min 23sec per km
    Time: 46.04

Went abit faster then I wanted to during this shouldn't have done that as can feel it in my shins now, need to maintain my form as well as I've found it helped reduce the pain.

Going to aim to reduce speed next run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Have you tried icing your shins at all?I had a bad shin phase a few weeks ago and started icing regularly.... not just after a run but a few times a day. If I was going to be on the sofa with the laptop at all I had the frozen peas out and feet up :) so maybe 3-4 times a day for 10-20 mins each time. I think it really helped.

/hobbles off to freezer/

littlebug wrote: »
    Have you tried icing your shins at all?I had a bad shin phase a few weeks ago and started icing regularly.... not just after a run but a few times a day. If I was going to be on the sofa with the laptop at all I had the frozen peas out and feet up :) so maybe 3-4 times a day for 10-20 mins each time. I think it really helped.

/hobbles off to freezer/

I have my bag of pea's from Lidi as previously suggested and I apply it after each run, applying it a number of times throughout the day isn't very managable though due to work.

Might try to perhaps apply it twice a day, I'll need to ease off on the speed I think as I can really feel it this morning in my shins....thought I've felt worse in the past

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

Just started the Couch to 5k myself this week. Off the ciggies 2 weeks now too, and already the lungs are feeling better. I went to a place out in Bray and got fitted for proper running shoes and they felt good on the first run. Also getting back into the badminton and trying to do a bit of swimming too. Would love to have a go at the Galway half marathon at the end of August. Do ye think that's doable?

Good luck to all!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

DonalN wrote: »
    Just started the Couch to 5k myself this week. Off the ciggies 2 weeks now too, and already the lungs are feeling better. I went to a place out in Bray and got fitted for proper running shoes and they felt good on the first run. Also getting back into the badminton and trying to do a bit of swimming too. Would love to have a go at the Galway half marathon at the end of August. Do ye think that's doable?

You have to take up cycling too, so you can do a triathlon!

Half-marathon should definitely be possible. Find a training plan, keep the running consistent, but don't push it too much at the start. See if you can find some shorter races between now and the half so you have some shorter-term goals too.

Longest run yet and feel pretty good afterwards :)

Distance: 12.32km
    Time: 1hr 29min 59sec
    Pace: 7min 18sec per km

Will revert back to 5km's for the rest of the week with another long run next weekend

Legs hurt this evening even after to lots of ice applied :(

Hurts walking down the stairs, next run day is Tuesday will have to see how things go between now and then or I may move the next run day till Wednesday. Perhaps the long run was abit too soon....we'll see :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭Fluffybums

I've been swimming between run days and that has helped with the pain in the shins. Having forked out for running shoes, without the arch support (I have high arches so tend to roll out), i'm hoping the first day of week three will be a good bit less painful.

Fluffybums wrote: »
    I've been swimming between run days and that has helped with the pain in the shins. Having forked out for running shoes, without the arch support (I have high arches so tend to roll out), i'm hoping the first day of week three will be a good bit less painful.

How have you found the progress overall for the couch to 5k?

My own experience with it is mixed, I got to week three and then just kinda got annoyed with it so I just ran a 5km without it, have run several since and have been very happy with the outcomes of each.

I found the music used in the couch to 5km podcast meant I was trying to run to the beat so I was running too fast and killing myself and it also made the pains in my shins worse because of this. Having slowed down its helped alot and thats how I was able to do the 12km on Sunday.

Unless I don't have time this evening I'll be running another 5km this evening with luck as any pain since Sunday has gone away for the most part.

I'm guessing the swimming would help a good bit on rest days but again its more time to go into town and do it, I don't have the spare cash for gym which leaves the watershed in Kilkenny which I've been meaning to look at for sometime.....must take a look at it someday.

Longest run yet and feel pretty good afterwards :)

Distance: 12.32km
    Time: 1hr 29min 59sec
    Pace: 7min 18sec per km

Will revert back to 5km's for the rest of the week with another long run next weekend

Seems a rather big jump in time/distance compared to what you have been doing up to this. While as a once off it should give you confidence that your fitness level is increasing, I would be wary of trying to replicate it every week.

Conventional wisdom would suggest that one should only increase time/distance/speed by a maximum of 10% from week to week. At the moment you are gradually building strength and endurance, and require time for your body to recover/adapt from the strains of training.

You don’t want to overwhelm the recovery process such that you may not be fully recovered by the time you come to run again. Increase your long run gradually, over a period of weeks. Now is the time for you to build a solid foundation, not potentially suffer an overuse injury that may sideline you and put back your progression.

Good luck with your training.

• Advertisement
Advertisement