Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My Couch to 5k

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Seems a rather big jump in time/distance compared to what you have been doing up to this. While as a once off it should give you confidence that your fitness level is increasing, I would be wary of trying to replicate it every week.

Conventional wisdom would suggest that one should only increase time/distance/speed by a maximum of 10% from week to week. At the moment you are gradually building strength and endurance, and require time for your body to recover/adapt from the strains of training.

You don’t want to overwhelm the recovery process such that you may not be fully recovered by the time you come to run again. Increase your long run gradually, over a period of weeks. Now is the time for you to build a solid foundation, not potentially suffer an overuse injury that may sideline you and put back your progression.

Good luck with your training.

Its something I am very much aware of alright, I'm aiming to go back to 5km today and on Thursday and then perhaps aim for 8km at the weekend as another long run and then back down to 5-6km again next week.

Fully understand comments regarding causing injury and thats something I don't want to happen so I am very much ensuring I'm resting and feeling ok enough before I run again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

good advice
    ^ +1. If you're increasing mileage, it's also a good idea to have a step back week, where you're total mileage and longest run is reduce, in order to allow the body to strengthen and recover. Still well done on the 12k and welcome to the world of the foolish runner. It's a fine line we tread between big gains and horrendous injuries. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Right so I figure I need some sort of goal to aim for, there's a 10km in Kilkenny at the bgeinning of May but I figure its too sort notice even if it is nice and handy to go to so after a good think I decided to aim for the half marathon in Dublin in September.

So myself and a friend have paid 20e and got our numbers and on the 18th September we hope to take part in the "Race Series 3 - Adidas Dublin Half-Marathon".

Plenty of time between now and then to train, my ultimate goal is do the full Dublin marathon :D (but not happening this year)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Are you doing the 5 mile and 10 mile too?

RayCun wrote: »
    Are you doing the 5 mile and 10 mile too?

Nope just the half

Cabaal wrote: »
    Right so I figure I need some sort of goal to aim for, there's a 10km in Kilkenny at the bgeinning of May but I figure its too sort notice even if it is nice and handy to go to so after a good think I decided to aim for the half marathon in Dublin in September.
    You have already run 12kms, so just do the same again, except when you hit the 10km mark, stop! The only person you are racing against is yourself (and any friends that you bring along!). Why don't you do the 10k, but just do it as part of your 1/2 marathon training? It'll give you a feel for what the race environment is like, and also give you an idea of what kind of shape you are in for the 1/2.

You have already run 12kms, so just do the same again, except when you hit the 10km mark, stop! The only person you are racing against is yourself (and any friends that you bring along!). Why don't you do the 10k, but just do it as part of your 1/2 marathon training? It'll give you a feel for what the race environment is like, and also give you an idea of what kind of shape you are in for the 1/2.

Yeah might do, those 10k races get alot of walkers right? Just don't want to be last when it takes me say 60-70min+ to finish the 10km :D

:pac::pac:

Lots of walkers. Try and take a look at the results from last year, and you'll get a picture of what the finish times should be like on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Yeah might do, those 10k races get alot of walkers right? Just don't want to be last when it takes me say 60-70min+ to finish the 10km :D

:pac::pac:

Nothing wrong with being last. I should know:rolleyes:. I get as enthusiastic a welcome as the front runners (though they may just be glad to be able to pack up at last:D:D)

Choose your races and your pace (which is astonishingly close to mine) won't be an issue. I find smaller "club " races leave me floundering while "fun run" type events make me feel Usain Boltish:D

Keep on running;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Nothing wrong with being last. I should know:rolleyes:. I get as enthusiastic a welcome as the front runners (though they may just be glad to be able to pack up at last:D:D)

Choose your races and your pace (which is astonishingly close to mine) won't be an issue. I find smaller "club " races leave me floundering while "fun run" type events make me feel Usain Boltish:D

Keep on running;)

I couldn't agree more with you. I found my frst few races very itimidating and really it's about confidence. The more races you take part in, the more confident you get and you take that into your training. Pick some "fun" races to start with and build up from there. Now I just need to take my own advice when I line up for my first half marathon in a few weeks :confused:

Good luck with your half marathon training and well done so far.

Distance: 5.02km
    Pace: 6min 47sec per km
    Time: 34min 3seconds

The run was so so to be honest, didn't get into the run right at all throughout which was frustrating also ran it too fast (least faster then I would have liked) so felt pretty tired compared to last few 5km's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭Fluffybums

How have you found the progress overall for the couch to 5k?

My own experience with it is mixed, I got to week three and then just kinda got annoyed with it so I just ran a 5km without it, have run several since and have been very happy with the outcomes of each.

I found the music used in the couch to 5km podcast meant I was trying to run to the beat so I was running too fast and killing myself and it also made the pains in my shins worse because of this. Having slowed down its helped alot and thats how I was able to do the 12km on Sunday.

Unless I don't have time this evening I'll be running another 5km this evening with luck as any pain since Sunday has gone away for the most part.

I'm guessing the swimming would help a good bit on rest days but again its more time to go into town and do it, I don't have the spare cash for gym which leaves the watershed in Kilkenny which I've been meaning to look at for sometime.....must take a look at it someday.

The couch to 5k is about right for me, if I was physically able to keep to the pace of the podcasts :o then they would be a problem, as I can't they make sure I run when I'm supposed to and walk only so long. If I hadn't had a podcast tonight I never would have jog/shuffled for 3 minutes. I'm not going any great distance, about 1.6miles I think but I am keeping it fairly consistant which I'll take until my legs can stand it. Sadly I think it would only take me twice as long to swim the same distance, but I suspect long years of swimming are why I'm suffering so much on the jog/shuffles - knees are way to wobbly.

I swim up at the Watershed twice a week, the pool and staff are very friendly and I've heard reports that the gym is well equipped and quite reasonable. If you are looking for somewhere flatter to run you could try the track there, you don't have to enter the building to access the track.....

Are you going to try the Stoneyford 10K?

Fluffybums wrote: »
    The couch to 5k is about right for me, if I was physically able to keep to the pace of the podcasts :o then they would be a problem, as I can't they make sure I run when I'm supposed to and walk only so long. If I hadn't had a podcast tonight I never would have jog/shuffled for 3 minutes. I'm not going any great distance, about 1.6miles I think but I am keeping it fairly consistant which I'll take until my legs can stand it.

I found it very hard going when I first started but keep it up, it killed me to do the 3min non-stop run but then only 3 weeks later I managed 5km non-stop. Its worth it and things will likely get better just think of the progress you've made since week one.
    Sadly I think it would only take me twice as long to swim the same distance, but I suspect long years of swimming are why I'm suffering so much on the jog/shuffles - knees are way to wobbly.

A number of evenings I came home and was in pain so much that I could barely get up the stairs, filled the bath with cold water and soaked my legs in it for 20min (not very pleasant experience)
    I swim up at the Watershed twice a week, the pool and staff are very friendly and I've heard reports that the gym is well equipped and quite reasonable. If you are looking for somewhere flatter to run you could try the track there, you don't have to enter the building to access the track.....

Will def have to take a look at it at some point see what its like, didn't know it even had a track or gym thought it was just a pool.
    Are you going to try the Stoneyford 10K?

Debating it at present, somebody on twitter suggested the Kilkenny 10km but thats way too soon so Stoneyford looks alot more do-able, gives me a more reasonable timeframe to work on preparing for it.

Did a 8km cycle this evening...nothing to far or to fast just enough to work up a sweat as I haven't cycled any distances in well over a year, legs are feeling pretty good now although abit tender.

Looking forward to my next 5km tomorrow evening :)

• Advertisement

Was due to do another 5km yesterday evening but decided to take an extra day of rest so I can arrange my days properly going forward, I'm aiming for:

- Long sun on Sunday
    - Two days off running with cycling or other excercises walking for example
    - 5km run on Wednesday
    - One day cycling or walking or something else
    - 5km run on Friday
    - One day cycling or walking or something else

Todays run

Distance: 5.01km
    Time: 35min 11sec
    Pace: 7min 1sec per km

Todays run...supposed to be 10km but was doing DIY this morning that had to be done and had a family BBQ this evening so wasn't free till 8pm, didn't have enough time to fit in 10km :(

Distance: 5.16km
    Time: 35min 7sec
    Pace: 6min 48sec per km

Felt pretty good throughout the run, no pain or discomfort at all which was great,

Yesterdays long run

Distance: 10.03km
    Time: 1hour 7min 43sec
    Pace: 6.45/km

Went much to fast throughout the long run and I need to cut it back abit, otherwise felt pretty good...right knee area isn't feeling the best so I'll need to watch that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭thelongfellow

So two months later whats the weight at???

Started back running myself today. Quit the cigs as well so lungs are still a bit screwed. Was running 10k no prob last year but started smoking again, got into a rut... Now can only go for 15 minutes before I HAVE to stop. Not good.

Aiming for half marathon on October bank holiday. 9 minute miles should get me in there just under the two hour mark. The fun starts here :D

On a side note... my Ipod earphones keep falling out of my ear whilst running. Any suggestions for decent earphones that can hook around the top of the ear?

• Advertisement

So two months later whats the weight at???

Not much of a change to be honest, I'm assuming fat has been replaced but muscle and as muscle weights more this likely explains this.
    Started back running myself today. Quit the cigs as well so lungs are still a bit screwed. Was running 10k no prob last year but started smoking again, got into a rut... Now can only go for 15 minutes before I HAVE to stop. Not good.

Sure try stay off the cigs and work at it, I couldn't do 1min constant running when I started now the longest I've done is 90min non-stop
    Aiming for half marathon on October bank holiday. 9 minute miles should get me in there just under the two hour mark. The fun starts here :D

Aiming for a half marathon as well, not worried about the time too much....just want to finish it first :)
    On a side note... my Ipod earphones keep falling out of my ear whilst running. Any suggestions for decent earphones that can hook around the top of the ear?

I have one's that loop of your ears and there's also a band that goes around the back of my head, got them years ago no idea who makes them....could never use the ipod headphones

Sundays Run:
    Distance: 10.89km
    Time: 1hour 14min 11sec
    Pace: 6:48/km

Yesterdays Run:
    Distance: 5.87km
    Time: 37min 16sec
    Pace: 6:20/km

Both runs were on a beach which appears to certainly make a difference as I have little to no discomfort in my legs afterwards which is nice

Yesterdays Run (07/05/2010)
    Distance: 10.02km
    Time: 63min 34sec
    Pace: 6:20/km

Since I've started one of my main goals was always 10miles, well today finally broke that target

Todays Run 09/05/10:
    Distance: 16.13 km
    Time: 1:44'01"
    Pace: 6'26"/km

Both legs are feeling it abit at the moment, will do abit of cycling tomorrow and then perhaps 8km on Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done on reaching the goal - lovely running!! Keep it up :)

claralara wrote: »
    Well done on reaching the goal - lovely running!! Keep it up :)

Thanks, I'm aiming now to cut down on the distance now and instead increase pace.

At the moment I'm managing 6.30-7.00 pace per km on a run, my next goal is to reduce this and perhaps aim for a 6km where I can maintain a 5.00/km pace.

So first run with this new goal is tomorrow or wednesday

Legs are abit iffy today after the run yesterday, not painful but there is discomfort when walking down stairs and stuff. I applied ice after the run yesterday and did excercises but will do the same again this evening.

I'll do perhaps a 12km run as a long run next Sunday then

Yesterdays Run (11/05/2010)
    Distance: 5.03km
    Time: 31min 07sec
    Pace: 6:11/km

Should have ideally taken two days rest after the 16km on Sunday as legs are really feeling it today, wasn't a good idea to try speeding up so soon. Think I'll stick to the bike for a few days for a change

It's very easy to get caught up in achieving results, like pushing longer distances, or faster times. From your first post, just a couple of months ago, you've gone from 2-3 miles to 10 miles, which is a great achievement. The body needs to adapt to new levels of exercise gradually, and needs to have periods of rest and recovery. Many of us have experienced long bouts of injury when we haven't paid attention to the tell-tale signs. Keep up the good work, but be ever watchful (sorry, don't mean to sound preachy, I have been that injured solider, and wouldn't wish it on others).

Clearly over did it last Sunday as shin splints are back so have taken a good few days off, just back from a 20mile cycle....could have done more but saddle was killing me towards mile 15 :(

Distance on Bike: 32km (20miles)
    Time: I think about 1 hour 10min

Took yesterday off and am aiming to do a 5km this evening, legs feel ALOT better after the cycle so I might alternative my Sundays with a 10-15km run or a 30-40km cycle...once I get the padding sorted for my saddle ;)

I found the cycle gave me a nice mix and a feeling of covering a great distance but still its pretty easy going so I'm not killing myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

when is tarted to read this tread i thought your times where rubbish because when i started to run again i could do 5k in 27 minutes without prior training besides football once a week but after reading the entire thread i think you have been doing really well and congrats..i still only run once a week i cant motivate myself to do it more regularly. i fins it very hard to understand hwo the weight isnt falling off you at this stage? do you eat/drink alot? any tips on how to motivate myself to get out more? you are doing really well and keep it up. i cycle also but as with running this is only once a fortnight at present. how do you find time to do chores/garndeing and work full time? do you have kids?

Yesterdays Run (18/05/10):
    Distance: 5.03km
    Time: 33min 17sec
    Pace: 6:37/km

After a good few days breaks I have to say I don't feel too bad after yesterdays run, legs aren't killing me anywhere near as much so its obvious I need to be more careful in future and not to over do it

Took it easy enough throughout the run didn't push myself too much

when is tarted to read this tread i thought your times where rubbish because when i started to run again i could do 5k in 27 minutes without prior training besides football once a week

See thats the thing I'm prior activity before running was walking a few times a week if I had the time, your were playing football which entails alot more activity so you were likely fitter then I was when I first started.
    but after reading the entire thread i think you have been doing really well and congrats.

Thanks, I'm getting to my goal bit by bit
    .i still only run once a week i cant motivate myself to do it more regularly.

Second I get home I go out running, I find it easier to get it over and done with before I even sit down ton watch any TV, have something to eat etc
    i fins it very hard to understand hwo the weight isnt falling off you at this stage? do you eat/drink alot?

I believe I'm eating the same now as I did before I started running but thats something I'm going to continue to monitor
    any tips on how to motivate myself to get out more?

As above create a routine and stick to it, as much as it may suck to get up early on a Sunday as well to do a long run its worth doing and it sets you up for the rest of the day.
    how do you find time to do chores/garndeing and work full time? do you have kids?

No kids, I just about get time to do everything else but then I don't watch much tv so that gives me time to get the other things done :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Good stuff Cabaal. I should probably follow your example and do some cycling. Within 7 months of starting running I ended up injured and had to have 5-6 weeks out.
    Really at this stage you shouldn't worry about times (or other people's perceptions of what a good 5k time is) but I don't think you are? As you say we all start from a different base and it's bloody hard work when you're starting at the lower end but it is worth it (and worth not overdoing it and risking injury). The long term outcomes are the important thing.

littlebug wrote: »
    Good stuff Cabaal. I should probably follow your example and do some cycling. Within 7 months of starting running I ended up injured and had to have 5-6 weeks out.
    Really at this stage you shouldn't worry about times (or other people's perceptions of what a good 5k time is) but I don't think you are? As you say we all start from a different base and it's bloody hard work when you're starting at the lower end but it is worth it (and worth not overdoing it and risking injury). The long term outcomes are the important thing.

My aim is to concentrate on times but at the same time to not overdo it too much so I'm going to mix cycling alot more into my routine, should give me a nice balance and improve my overall fitness

May 20th Run
    Distance: 2.23km
    Time: 16min 14sec
    Pace: 7.00/km

Felt like crap, sluggish as hell and ended up walking home

May 22nd Run:
    Distance: 8.69km
    Time: 56min 54sec
    Pace: 6.32/km

Felt much better then last run, very little pain from shins so looks like they've healed..most of the route was pretty flat

May 23rd Run:
    Distance: 8.01km
    Time: 51min 58sec
    Pace: 6.29/km

Hilly route and really got into it although felt tired after the 5km mark, no pain in my shins today which is great

Normally don't do two runs in a row but just wantedt to get out for a run, might do a cycle this evening

May 25th Run:
    Distance: 10.02km
    Time: 1hour 3min 46sec
    Pace: 6:21/km

Felt pretty good throughout. damn it was warm!

Next run today :)

May 27th Run:
    Pace: 5:56/km
    Time: 29min 50sec

First 5km run under 30min also first run where my average pace was under 6:00/km, felt tired

should have waited longer after eating

May 30th Run:
    Distance: 7.06km
    Time: 43min 9sec
    Pace: 6:06/km

Had to cut my run short as had to head off to a BBQ :)
    Had planned on a 30km cycle on Sunday or yesterday but didn't get the chance.

• Advertisement

No run today for me but I did do a cycle as it seems to help my legs recover from running

June 1st Cycle:
    Distance: 30.2km
    Time: Approx 1hr 15min

June 2nd Run:
    Distance: 5.01km
    Time: 29min 37sec
    Pace: 5:54/km

June 4th Cycle:
    Distance: 31.5km
    Time: 1hour 23min

Wind was against me for the first 15km and also ALOT of hills but got a boost of energy for the second 15km and made up some good time.

Slow 10km now on Sunday as I doubt I'll get time tomorrow

June 6th Run:
    Distance: 10.63km
    Pace: 6:25/km
    Time: 1hour, 8min 21sec

Felt very tired after the 10km, the run was supposed to be 5km but decided to go further towards the end of the 5km.

June 8th Run:
    Pace: 6:07/km
    Time: 30min 41sec

Didn't feel right until about 4km, need to think about form more I think..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Fair play Cabaal.
    I've been doing the C25K for the last nine weeks and am on the last week of it now.
    Been sticking to it religiously.
    I am doing a 5K run on Sunday to finish the programme and am hoping to come in in 31 minutes or less.
    I come from a similiar background of very little physical activity so am delighted to have gotten this far. After this I plan to train for 10K.
    Can I ask how you got to the 10K distances? Did you do the C25K then another programme or did you just keep tacking on distance?

kippy wrote: »
    Fair play Cabaal.
    I've been doing the C25K for the last nine weeks and am on the last week of it now.
    Been sticking to it religiously.
    I am doing a 5K run on Sunday to finish the programme and am hoping to come in in 31 minutes or less.
    I come from a similiar background of very little physical activity so am delighted to have gotten this far. After this I plan to train for 10K.
    Can I ask how you got to the 10K distances? Did you do the C25K then another programme or did you just keep tacking on distance?

I started doing the C5K but then I got annoyed with it so one day I just decided to run 5km non-stop and got on just fine, after a good few times of running 5km I decided to try 8km and then 10km.

At the time I had done 5km non-stop I as only on week three of C5K, I found the fast music on the podcasts I was listening to was counter productive and causing me to run too fast.

By slowing my pace I got rid of my shin splints and also was able to run 5km just fine :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Here's a novice 10k programme if you're looking for one.

June 10th Cycle:
    Distance: 34.8km
    Time: Approx 1hr 25min

Must be nearly time to start considering a 10k race, to take it to the next level. You're not going out to try and win, but to set yourself a personal baseline, to establish where you are right now and what direction you want to go in, in future (faster/longer/more enjoyable).

June 14th Run:
    Distance: 5.00km
    Time: 30min 31sec
    Pace: 6:05/km

June 17th Cycle:
    Distance: 25.08km
    Time: 1hour

• Advertisement
Advertisement