Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MeeGo

Options
  • 16-02-2010 9:42am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭

I presume many people heard the announcement yesterday about Meamo and Moblin merging to form MeeGo. Basically Intel and Nokia want to consolidate their efforts for an OS that will run across a range of platforms from Mobile Phone, to Car's, to TV's and so on. Although a lot of N900 owners seen this as a bad thing as it ends the support for the current Maemo 5 OS, rumours are merging that Maemo 6 will be basically MeeGo 1 and will be available for the N900 but this has yet to be confirmed by Nokia or Intel.

I for one think it will be good. As things are going at the moment the n900 Maemo 5 community is quite strong and will continue to make improvements to the OS but I doubt Nokia will launch a device 2 months ago for 500 or 600 euro and then drop all support, especially since MeeGo has been on the cards for much longer than this. I know its Nokia and I know they can be short-sighted but I don't think they are to this extent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I think they have allot to prove... at the moment they appear to be outside of the key players... Apple, Google and Microsoft, even though they sell more phones, their future is tentative.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

If I remember correctly Nokia only have plans to release 1 Maemo or now possibly MeeGo handset in 2010 so it's not like there is going to be a rush of handsets replacing the n900 and killing of Maemo.

Truthfully though it will be interesting to see how well integrated the products across the different spectrums will do

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I read on meamo.org that there wiould be a meego device released later this year alright. I think that QT is a big thing for n900, a massive amount of Iphone apps are complete rubbish, simple one fuction programs that anybody could put together in a QT designer in a day, but with QT being in use so much accross the board we will see more usefull apps pop up on n900, weather they are written for meego, maemo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

So there's little point in getting an N900 now unless there is a guaranteed upgrade path for N900 users to this. Sure there is some Maemo development, but without a distinct phone based future it means there won't be lots of now Maemo phone apps.

I reckon meego will make an apperance on the n900, just not sure if it will be official. Even though, many meego apps (which are just maemo6 apps) will be easily ported to maemo5 if not directly available for them in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Even if these handsets don't sell in huge quantities, there will still be a decent community of users; provided the handsets are as good as everyone hopes. LG have been making great strides of late with their handset range and since they will be one of the first out the gate with a MeeGo handset, I reckon things are looking rosy for the foreseeable future.

Well heopfully they are better than that viewty offering. I had it less than a month. No phone pissed me off more that it.

Advertisement