Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soft brakes?

• 16-02-2010 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hi, I got a ford fiesta a while ago, my first car ever, and my accompanying driver pointed out the brakes are very soft. You have to push them in a lot before it slows the car, whereas her car starts to slow when the pedal is pushed in a tiny bit. Is this normal? When I was taking driving lessons my instructor said it was just becuase his car had a bigger engine that the brakes were different. (also a fiesta) I'm just wondering in case there is a problem (the car was in great condition, low milage, and fully serviced)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

My first car was a Fiesta zetec and the brakes were rubbish enough I always thought

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭AzureAuto

If the service history doesnt incude a brake fluid change in a least the last two years, that would be the best place to start Over time, brake fluid absorbs water from the air and causes the brake pedal to become "spongy". 40E would cover the labur and new fluid for a Fiesta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Also make sure rear shoes (if fitted) are adjusted correctly, cause if they are not they will cause excessive travel on the brake pedal, making it feel spongy as you say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

They may just need to be bled. Air in the lines will give you spongy brakes as it compresses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

if you are at all concerned , a brake overhaul wont cost the earth and will put your mind at rest.Your local back street garage should be able to do this quite reasonably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

As mentioned, probably just needs new fluid.

Apart from that, it could be partly due to worn pads that result in more pedal travel before any contact is made with the discs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Mr.David wrote: »
    As mentioned, probably just needs new fluid.

Apart from that, it could be partly due to worn pads that result in more pedal travel before any contact is made with the discs.

Worn pads wont result in more pedal travel unless there is a problem with a partially seized caliper or someting like that. Poor adjustment of rear brake shoes if fitted could be causing it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The brakes used to be crap in my Fiesta, especially the handbrake - then the rear brakes failed the NCT. The self-adjusters on the rear drums had seized, got that sorted out and braking was much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

mickdw wrote: »
    Worn pads wont result in more pedal travel unless there is a problem with a partially seized caliper or someting like that. Poor adjustment of rear brake shoes if fitted could be causing it too.

Meant to say unevenly worn pads i.e. pads with a taper wear issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jamie-b

Thanks for the replies. I guess my question is how should it feel when you put in the brake? If you put in the brake a tiny bit can you feel your own car slow? My mams reckons they are much softer than hers but my dad and driving instructor said they're fine. (no one else has driven it and I have never driven another car so I don't know if they're fine or "soft")

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

listen to your driving instructer....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Brake pedals have different sensitivity in different cars. But if you have trouble with the handbrake (lots of travel or not stopping the car easily on steep hills) you probably have the same problem as I did. It was an easy fix, no new parts or anything.

Advertisement