Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

birthday ideas for men

• 16-02-2010 9:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hi guys,

Was wondering if anyone has any suggestions about what I could do for my boyfriend for his birthday, its coming up in March.

We'll do the whole meal thing with his family but was wondering if anyone can has any suggestions if we like went away for the the day. Cant go away for weekend cos i work six days a week and would still like to do something that he'll really enjoy.

He says its grand and we'll celebrate it on March the 14th so I'm definitely looking for other ideas :p:)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

March 14th is Steak and BJ day. :)

However I'm assuming that you want some more substantive advice.
    Buying for men is easy. You have 3 options, food (including alcohol), clothes, gizmos.

If it's food then cheap and quantity rather then quality is generally the order of the day. We all love a good meal in a good restruant and a good bottle of wine but for a birthday we want and need beer and pizza and LOTS of it - somewhere noisy and bright and lively. If you know of a pub that serves a good pizza then thats your first solution.

Clothes - difficult really. Women tend to buy stuff that they THINK a man will like or (worse yet) buy stuff that they think will make the man look better. Wrong wrong wrong. If you want to buy him clothes then get his six ugly t-shirts. He can always use them to polish the car.

Gizmos and gadgits. Now yer talking. Find the most usless thing and chrome it. Add a little lead to give it substantial weight. Add sharp bits...and then motorise it. Or a Leatherman multitool.

So there ya have it. Get him a Siouxsie Sioux t-shirt, a swiss army knife and let him loose in a pizza hut with a hip flask full of whiskey.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭force majeure

Let us see now... as you have pretty good points laid out above I stick to the other ideas... If he is in to DIY well take him along to Woodies for the afternoon and let him loose... if he likes movies get him a box-set, mind you it helps to know what kind off films he likes. Lastly if [as most guys are] he is a petrol head you can always get him an voucher from Halfords to cover a sound-system. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

edvedfan...can you give us something more to go on here...i.e. age (especially if significant i.e. 30th etc) budget, interests, what he has already etc etc

some off the top of head suggestions:

1. Flying lesson (Weston airdrome if Dublin is close by to you)
    2. Gizmos such as netbook/ipod thingy/camera/wii etc etc
    3. Meal out with close friends- you pay...
    4. Meal for the two of you in a top restaurant (Chapter 1, Shelbourne hotel (& overnight stay)
    5. Spa day for the two of you...

give us a bit more to go on, & we'll keep coming back to give you ideas..........:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

edvedfan wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Was wondering if anyone has any suggestions about what I could do for my boyfriend for his birthday, its coming up in March.

We'll do the whole meal thing with his family but was wondering if anyone can has any suggestions if we like went away for the the day. Cant go away for weekend cos i work six days a week and would still like to do something that he'll really enjoy.

He says its grand and we'll celebrate it on March the 14th so I'm definitely looking for other ideas :p:)

Thanks
    If your boyfriend follows a rugby/soccer team maybe match tickets would be an idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Any gigs coming up with bands he likes? My missus got me a flying lesson last year and I loved it, will do another one myself when i can afford it again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

OldGoat wrote: »
    March 14th is Steak and BJ day. :)

I think that disserves a thread in ah here and tll and all stickyed so every one knows :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

just give him a night to remember and he'll be more than happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Last year as a pressie I got a spa treatmeant and man did I love it.

Another in Bellinter House in Meath left me gaga for hours

Bellinter is fairly expensive but runs special offers

http://www.bellinterhouse.com/spa-hotel-meath

http://www.laspatherapiemalahide.ie/

A meal afterwards and you have it cracked

Check out places closer to you and you might get a special deal or offers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 edvedfan

okay thanks a million guys :)

he gonna be twenty four and supports newcastle. I presume he rather go see a match with the lads so maybe i could organise that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

he gonna be twenty four and supports newcastle. I presume he rather go see a match with the lads so maybe i could organise that

No problem getting a ticket for St. James Park at the moment.:P

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 252 ✭✭viclemronny

You might find something here:

Great Days Out

They do all sorts of things like flying, bungee jumps, sky-diving, you an drive a tank. There should be something there that most would enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

This chap is a lucky bloke in fairness.

Advertisement