Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My eternal battle with ATI cards..

Options
  • 16-02-2010 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭

Every single PC I build I have problems with the ATI drivers..

Okay new machine and install of XP professional SP2.. I carefully upgrade to the .net framework 1, then 1.1, then 2 (yes I am paranoid).. then windows installer 3.1, which I believe should have already been in so called 'service pack 2' but apparently not..

Now the interesting bit, the ATI drivers install, I tried 9.X just to be on the safe side, seems to install fine, but the fan is going mad on the reboot and I notice, of course, that CCC.exe isn't loading, etc, no ATI icons in the tray..

I try downloading the latest ATI drivers, nope, I try installing .net framework 3.5, then the latest ATI drivers, nope. By now I should be an utter expert at this, but I almost want to give up before I try because I've been through this so many times before..

Any ideas? it should be straight forward enough, I don't want to reinstall windows again..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

Have you tried upgrading to service pack 3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You've not said what card

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Install the driver, don't install control center.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Thanks guys, its a 5770, I see ATI processes running in the task manager, but its not properly installed and I can't access the ATI catalyst centre.

I'll try SP3 this evening..

I just know, from past experience, the fan on the card is gonna go crazy if its left like this (its already reaching annoying levels)

I have a tangled history with ATI and .net framework and XP service pack installs

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭ttcomet

Have you tried install the ATI drivers via the command prompt?
    The "8-10_vista32_dd_ccc_wdm_emu_69564" will change to whatever version you are using.

ATI installs:
    * open a CMD-box with administrative privileges
    * go to your ATI drivers, probably in a location similar to this one:
    C:\ATI\SUPPORT\8-10_vista32_dd_ccc_wdm_emu_69564\
    * then go to the BIN (or BIN64 for Vista64) folder underneath
    * type this command:
    atisetup.exe -Install -Output screen

That seems to work for me. I made the mistake of switching to a saphire 5770 recently as it was getting great reviews, I will be going back to Nvidia the next time I get a new card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Jonny7 wrote: »
    Now the interesting bit, the ATI drivers install, I tried 9.X just to be on the safe side, seems to install fine, but the fan is going mad on the reboot and I notice, of course, that CCC.exe isn't loading, etc, no ATI icons in the tray..
    Is it a new PC? I had a problem similar to that and it turned out to be faulty ram making a mess of everything as I installed it. The computer would work ok for the most part but every so often would start acting weird. Memtest showed my ram was goosed, probably from day one even though I got a year and a half of use out of it before it became unbearable.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

If its a HD5*** and fresh drivers you'll almost certainly need Service Pack 3 and .NET Framework 3.5 to get it to play ball in XP. Newer releases of CCC need the most recent .NET version to work properly. Also bear in mind that if you've made a mess of the driver install you'll have to hard-purge them with an uninstall utility like ATi Uninstall or DriverSweeper before updating XP and reinstalling the drivers.

Thanks for all the advice, I have spent hours trying everything bar a total wipe and reinstall.

I've tried every type of ATI install, the system will NOT let ccc.exe or MOM.exe run, incredily the ATI installs dont actually let those files install (although it doesn't tell you this).. something v wrong with that

A quick look on the net show how many have this problem

I've solved this problem twice before, but now I am facing it twice again on two separate PC's.. its the same XP professional CD being used for both PC's.. everything installs fine but the machines either do not get past .net framework 2.0 and if one does, like this one, then it refuses to load ccc without that crippling error.. even though I have utterly emptied the PC of any possible ATI driver.. rolled back the .net.. cleaned the .net with a special program.. and so on and so forth

Anyway Ill keep trying, then will do full clean reinstall of OS at weekend
    thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Just install the basic drivers and use ATI Tray Tools, its much much better than the bloated Catalyst

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Jonny7 wrote: »
    its the same XP professional CD p

Did you or someone else make this XP CD?

• Advertisement

Fixed!.. apparently..

CD is windows pro official

I literally went into the ATI/support folder.. ccc folder/packages/apps/ccc

(where the bulk of the files are)

went into each folder (should be about 14 folders)

and manually clicked on each install file.. installing each one..

Basically I brute forced the install

Whatever was happening, even though I wiped every ATI file and registry entry.. the damn thing just wasn't installing properly.. so I did it very very manually.. got lucky I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Catalyst 10.2 is just out lol

good to hear you got it fixed

For full removal guide see the removal section here - http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_3.html

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Methinks that PC needs updating - sounds like you don't have the latest version of Microsoft Installer. Either that or the download was corrupt!

Advertisement