Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City allotments & locally-produced food - important to you?

Options
  • 16-02-2010 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Whether it’s for reasons of health or economy, there’s a growing interest in locally-produced food in the capital. More and more Dubliners are asking Dublin City Council for allotments to grow their own food. The popularity of farmer's markets also reflect people's ongoing desire for fresh, local produce.

The Draft Dublin City Development Plan, 2011-2017, supports the development of allotments, particularly on vacant sites in the city.

Over the next six years, what other measures would you like to see in Dublin to encourage people to grow their own food? Are there any measures or ideas you’d suggest to support the growth and sale of locally-produced food in Dublin's markets?

Is this an important issue for you, and for Dublin?

===
    Dublin City Council's 'Draft Development Plan, 2011-2017' is currently open for public consultation. The plan explains City Council strategy on everything from allotments and accommodation for artists to new cycle lanes, new neighbourhoods, green spaces and low rise buildings.

We’re encouraging Dubliners to look at the Draft Plan, discuss any issues on these boards and make a comment directly to Dublin City Council via the online submission form.

You can find out more at www.dublincitydevelopmentplan.ie, where there are videos, text summaries and an interactive map of Dublin in 2017. All feedback will be reviewed before the plan is adopted by the City Council at the end of the year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

If you want encourage people to take up the whole concept of growing their own food then allotments have got to be made more affordable and should be accessible, especially for people who may depend on public transport!

I was offered an allotment recently by Crumlin College as my name was on a list held by DCC. €200 per year.....and it was over 3 miles away :(
    Sorry but with all the wage levy's this year,mortage to pay,etc folks like me are finding it hard to make ends meet €200 for an allotment is too much!
    Also right outside my door there is some fantastic space which could be utilized for allotment growing!
    Will be making an official submission and thanks for allowing people to make submissions to the new upcoming City Plan :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Since you're asking, not important at all for me.

Not into gardening at all and whether food is locally produced or not makes little or no difference to me personally.

This is something that would be way down on my list of priorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Rehn

Great idea but it would help if you could get people who know about growing food plants etc to give talks on the subject and advice for those of us who dont knot the first thing about gardining

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

i would absolutely love one but as sundew said they would have to be a little cheaper, even 150/year wouldn't be so bad...
    i too would have to reach it on public transport...

would be lovely though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ciaranjbyrne

I have paid my deposit for the allotments in Crumlin, you could always try what i did. The allotments are 8M x 10M which is very big. I went half with a friend so it is only costing 100 a year which is very reasonable and we are going to share what we grow, it works out well as we can both do the work and get the benefits. Just a suggestion. As far as i know there are 40 places left (last week there was) for the allotments too, all you have to do is pop into pearse college and ask can you rent one and they will give you a form. very good value and size for 2 people splitting the money.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i try and buy local produced vegetables all the time, the difference in the price and the taste is unbelievable.

i would love my own allotment but as a complete novice i am put off by the commitment. if there was a scheme where you could get your little patch of ground but there were professional there to help and guide you along, may be a few talks or classes as well.

i would love that, and i would like an area for a bee hive as well

in a perfect world, i want hugh fearnley whittingstall there for a few months with his tips and advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

I have paid my deposit for the allotments in Crumlin, you could always try what i did. The allotments are 8M x 10M which is very big. I went half with a friend so it is only costing 100 a year which is very reasonable and we are going to share what we grow, it works out well as we can both do the work and get the benefits. Just a suggestion. As far as i know there are 40 places left (last week there was) for the allotments too, all you have to do is pop into pearse college and ask can you rent one and they will give you a form. very good value and size for 2 people splitting the money.

Ciaran: I ha actually considered that. I have been given a piece of rough ground on the apt complex where I live. It's not great as it's on an incline but will give it a shot. The allotment is very tempting but the distance for me may be the real problem :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 DCC Planning Secretariat

The closing date for receipt of submissions on the Draft Development Plan was last Friday, March 12th. We’d like to thank everyone who got involved in the discussion and especially those who posted replies or made submissions about the plan.

The next step is the preparation of a report on the submissions/observations received. This will be submitted to members of the City Council who will consider it until mid-August 2010. Any material amendments agreed to the Draft Plan will then be put on public display for four weeks. It is envisaged that this display will take place during September.

We’ll post notification of the dates closer to the time. In the meantime, keep an eye on www.dublincitydevelopmentplan.ie and www.dublincity.ie for updates on what’s happening.

Regards,
    The Development Plan Team

Advertisement