Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jargon.

Options
  • 16-02-2010 10:24am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

I've read information on combos on a few sites and while some of the terminology is self explanatory theres still stuff that leave me scratching my head...

For example Bisons thread on shoryuken

c.jabx2 c.forward xx lk scissors

what the hell is crouching forward??? I assume its Crouching MK or something but still need clarification. The same would apply to c. short what does that mean?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

lazlo wrote: »
    I've read information on combos on a few sites and while some of the terminology is self explanatory theres still stuff that leave me scratching my head...

For example Bisons thread on shoryuken

c.jabx2 c.forward xx lk scissors

what the hell is crouching forward??? I assume its Crouching MK or something but still need clarification. The same would apply to c. short what does that mean?

c.forward is another way of saying crouching medium kick. Crouching short is another way of saying crouching weak kick.

If memory serves this terminology seemed to have creeped up in America around the release of CE. It lead to much annoyance to all of us who bought EGM for their 20 page SF2CE guide (imported american mags cost around 10 pounds in Easons, not fun).

there's a thread on this already, will try to dig it up for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭lazlo

Cheers Doom thats what I had assumed they meant but you know what they say about assumptions ... :p

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Yeah Americans have different terms for all the types of normal.

Light Punch = Jab
    Medium Punch = Strong
    Hard Punch = Fierce
    Light Kick = Short
    Medium Kick = Forward
    Hard Kick = Roundhouse

s. = Standing
    c. = Crouching
    cl. = Close
    ch. = Counterhit
    xx = Cancel

You might also see the word low being used in place of crouching.
    So the term low.short means crouching light kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Oh thank Christ. I've just been muddling through combo lists assuming I knew what they were talking about. This clears up a lot of confusion.
    Why oh why did they come up with a system like this?

Sairus wrote: »
    Oh thank Christ. I've just been muddling through combo lists assuming I knew what they were talking about. This clears up a lot of confusion.
    Why oh why did they come up with a system like this?

Dunno, to me the european system seems to make much more sense.

It's quicker to say "crouching strong" instead of "ducking medium punch" so maybe that was it. there's one less word to say with the american system, better for commentary :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Fairly certain some of the oldest instruction manuals that came with the games listed them as Jab, Strong, Fierce and Roundhouse. Can't remember if they had Short and Forward listed though. This would have been SNES WW and possibly printed on official WW/CE cabinets.

Fairly certain some of the oldest instruction manuals that came with the games listed them as Jab, Strong, Fierce and Roundhouse. Can't remember if they had Short and Forward listed though. This would have been SNES WW and possibly printed on official WW/CE cabinets.

I'm having trouble finding one of those little strip guide things that were on the cabinets... that'd sort this one right out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

there's one less word to say with the american system, better for commentary
    That's definitely a valid point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

ppl shud just use LP MP HP etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

well there repredentive of the move excuted by ryu/ken when the button was pressed inearly SFII era.

It's quite annoying, but understandable in informal circles.
    Sirlin using it in HDRemix is unforgivable though.

Dictator/boxer/claw annoy the hell outta me.

the "japanese" notation is based on a number pad.
    236+P = hadoken from the player 1 side.

jargon link: http://sonichurricane.com/articles/sfnotation.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

The whole jab/strong system etc actually makes more sense, imo

YES RLY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

http://iplaywinner.com/glossary/

Another list, with some interesting slang terms.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭lazlo

Ramza wrote: »

YES RLY

strong/hard/fierce all sound like the same **** to me though, thats where the confusion comes from. Whats wrong with 'Med' ar Avg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Ramza wrote: »

YES RLY

Oh but it doesn't. It does sound a whole hella lot better though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

I think it does but it's just my opinion. I know with most characters "Jab" will usually look like a jab, eh dont know about strong(maybe cause its not a job and not a fierce?), fierce is self explanatory, and like posted before, I guess fierce/hard etc are all the same

I think it's pretty much universally accepted, but some people prefer to post mp, hp etc. I guess it all boils down to preference

Advertisement