Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Chat With Steve Perryman Sunday!

Options
  • 16-02-2010 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭

I was lucky enough to sit down and have a conversation with the legend that is Steve Perryman last Sunday, here in Wexford Ireland.

As many of you will know, he is the Director Of Football at Exeter, and was over putting links in place with The Wexford Youths!

I managed to catch up with him before a training session as was able to actually sit down and have a real chat with him, it was of course an honer!

Anyway, I thought I would share a couple of the things he said that you might be interested in.

His favourite manager at Spurs was Keith Burkenshaw - He said of course Bill Nick was a legend but he was very young when was still there and only had a few months with him, and was really just quite in ore of him!

Favorote players were Jimmy Greaves, who he still thinks is one of the best players who ever played the game. Pat Jennings, he also liked Alan Gilzean and also told me they are doing a documentary film on his life that he will be taking part in!

Okay, now for his thoughts on current Spurs, some may not like it, but this is what was said.

JJ, what does he do??, yep that is what he said.

Hudd, to lightweight!

Team in General, he said he was at Wolves and he said there was nothing coming from the team, OR the sidelines, no imagination in midfield (and he knows MF!), very disappointing.

As for top 4, not really sure with this team!

Anyway, we chatted about other stuff, but not specifically about Spurs, so no need to share - as I said it was an honer, and he signed my Holston shirt, and my Chelsea Spurs Carling Cup program.

Oh he did say he was going to get Pat Jennings over to Wexford, so hopefully I can meet up with him also

Real gentleman, proper legend!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

John W wrote: »
    I was lucky enough to sit down and have a conversation with the legend that is Steve Perryman last Sunday, here in Wexford Ireland.

As many of you will know, he is the Director Of Football at Exeter, and was over putting links in place with The Wexford Youths!

I managed to catch up with him before a training session as was able to actually sit down and have a real chat with him, it was of course an honer!

Anyway, I thought I would share a couple of the things he said that you might be interested in.

His favourite manager at Spurs was Keith Burkenshaw - He said of course Bill Nick was a legend but he was very young when was still there and only had a few months with him, and was really just quite in ore of him!

Favorote players were Jimmy Greaves, who he still thinks is one of the best players who ever played the game. Pat Jennings, he also liked Alan Gilzean and also told me they are doing a documentary film on his life that he will be taking part in!

Okay, now for his thoughts on current Spurs, some may not like it, but this is what was said.

JJ, what does he do??, yep that is what he said.

Hudd, to lightweight!

Team in General, he said he was at Wolves and he said there was nothing coming from the team, OR the sidelines, no imagination in midfield (and he knows MF!), very disappointing.

As for top 4, not really sure with this team!

Anyway, we chatted about other stuff, but not specifically about Spurs, so no need to share - as I said it was an honer, and he signed my Holston shirt, and my Chelsea Spurs Carling Cup program.

Oh he did say he was going to get Pat Jennings over to Wexford, so hopefully I can meet up with him also

Real gentleman, proper legend!!

(honour)

it's good to see ex players being honest about the team - we met pat jennings after the spurs hull game last season and he basically said it was a mess with ramos - which it was really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Some pictures of Steve at Ferrycarrig in the gallery here

http://www.wexfordyouthsfc.ie/media2010.html

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

I met him myself a good few years ago in the Haringey Irish Centre after a game and completely agree with John W that the man is a complete and genuine old school gent.

At the same function was Stephen Carr and when we spoke to him, he just looked at us like we were something he'd stepped in.

Shows the difference in the generations, I guess.

The other player from Perryman's time I met was big Pat and once again a true gent. Such a shame these types are not in the game anymore.

Advertisement