Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Servicing boats

• 16-02-2010 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hoping someone can help me out with this query. I'm a newby boat owner wondering how often it should be serviced? Boat details are
    Built:2003
    Inboard engine - 193 HP or thereabouts
    1400 hours
    Nexan 1800SR

Do we need to get this serviced annually or can we get away with less often?

all replies gratefully received

Claymation

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

Unfortunately it really needs to be done annually.

I've never heard of Nexan, would it me a Maxum?
    If it is actually a Maxum sports boat, then it's probably a mercruiser or Volvo 4.3 V6

Also If it's on an outdrive, (as opposed to a propeller shaft) then that will have to be serviced as well.
    Additionally if it is an outdrive and it's left in the water at a berth or a mooring, then the sacrificial anodes on the outdrive will also have to be changed. And the bellows checked over.

Used engine oil is corrosive and its best to change it every year unless the boat has really done very little hours over the season. So your at least looking at an oil and filter change.

The outdrive (if fitted) will need gear oil and a general check over and as I mentioned, possibly new anodes.

The marine environment is harsh and it's probably a false economy to skimp on maintenance.

P.S. 1400 hours in seven years seems very high. Most leisure boats would average less than 100/year and many a lot less. Could that be 140 hours?

Mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Claymation

Thanks for that, Mark - much appreciated. I'd have to check with the other owners as to some of the detail you referred to as I've only just signed up to this gig.

It's not left in the water over the winter, so that should help but it seems like we're better off biting the bullet on annual servicing.

thanks again

Adrian

Claymation wrote: »
    Thanks for that, Mark - much appreciated. I'd have to check with the other owners as to some of the detail you referred to as I've only just signed up to this gig.

It's not left in the water over the winter, so that should help but it seems like we're better off biting the bullet on annual servicing.

thanks again

Adrian

No bother, I've had sports boats/sports cruisers for years, and always maintained them myself so if you need any advise or pointers, give me a shout.
    I'm in Waterford, where are you?

Edit: have a look at clubpowerboat.ie
    there is a lot of really good guys over there who would be happy to answer any question, no matter how basic it may seem to you.
    I spend more time over there than I do here (same user name) and we always welcome new members, and after all it's just a forum... like any other

Mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Claymation

The boat is indeed a Maxum.

I'm in Dublin, boat berthed in Dun Laoghaire. I'll check out that clubpowerboat.ie - sounds good.

Would you have any idea what it would cost to get serviced? Or know anyone that you'd be happy to recommend?

thanks

Adrian

Claymation wrote: »
    The boat is indeed a Maxum.

Would you have any idea what it would cost to get serviced? Or know anyone that you'd be happy to recommend?

thanks

Adrian

Not sure about the cost as I've always done my own work.
    Guessing, parts cost at,
    €20/30 for engine oil,
    €35 for oil filter, (yeah, I know, thats marine prices for ya!)
    €60/70 for anodes if it needs them (Mercruiser outdrive, don't know about Volvo)
    €60 for Gear oil for the outdrive (again thats for a mercruiser (Bravo), 3 liters at €20/liter) Volvo may be different.

+ labour:(

Martin Salmon at MGM in Dunlaoghaire have a good rep.http://www.mgmboats.com/Boat_Services/Boatyard_and_Service_Dept/Boatyard_and_Service_Dept.html
    But I'm sure there are plenty of others, maybe ask at the marina office.

Maxum are a good boat, Built by Brunswick in the US They were positioned, price wise, between Searay and Bayliner, (by the same manufacturer)

A friend used to own a 21sc cuddy cabin, with the mercruiser 4.3 v6, and it was a fine machine. did about 43 knots flat out.

You should try and do a power boat course. As well as being an essential safety measure it will give you a good bit of confidence when your learning the ropes.

Get hold of a pair of skis and a wake board:D
    And a cooler box for the tinnies:cool:
    And have a blast...Roll on the summer:)

Mark.

• Advertisement
Advertisement