Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayonnaise alternative - Any suggestions

Options
  • 16-02-2010 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to lose a bit of weight folks, and I was hoping to come up with a sandwich spread thats lighter than mayo.

Dry sambos are are a bit too blah!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I always make sure that there is tomato in the sambo - makes it 'wetter'.
    And I use relish - Ballymaloe or the like, it's pretty low in calories. And nice with a bit of hang :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Apparently natural yoghurt is meant to be a good substitute. I suppose it depends on what you make it with.

If you are mixing it through coleslaw or tuna salad instead of mayo I'd imagine it would work quite well. But on a plain hang sanger? not sure about that! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

hummus? its good for you and tastes better too.

you can make your own really easily :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I've not come across anything that does the job as well as the extra low fat mayo you can get. Still fattening but nowhere near as bad as the main stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I use the low fat mayo also... however I did go through a phase of putting pickles on my sandwich. That would work.

What about cream/cottage cheese?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Yeah - I use gherkins too. Oh mustard is pretty low fat. I like the French's American mustard. AFAIK there really aren't that many calories in it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Sleepy wrote: »
    I've not come across anything that does the job as well as the extra low fat mayo you can get. Still fattening but nowhere near as bad as the main stuff.

Blasphemous! Those light mayo's are revolting, real mayo is one thing I doubt I'll ever fully get out of my diet, just too delicious. Makes everything taste better.

I started using cottage cheese in my wraps, adds some moisture and means I use alot less mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

olaola wrote: »
    Yeah - I use gherkins too. Oh mustard is pretty low fat. I like the French's American mustard. AFAIK there really aren't that many calories in it at all.

Mayo and dijon mustard with finely chopped gherkins in a salt beef or pastrami sandwich. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Sleepy wrote: »
    Some brands have low and then extra low. They are usually diluted with water and thickened up with starch or gelatine. So they are fine on cold sambos, once heated it melts and is like normal mayo with a splash of water on it -mank!

I use salad cream which is basically mayo + vinegar, has more of a sting to it and is lower in fat. Also there is low fat salad cream.

If you are trying to lose weight I would personally be more worried about the bread itself. I use iceberg leafs as wraps.

French's mustard is good & low in fat. Many other deli mustards have huge amounts of fat in them so becareful. Tesco were doing a hotdog mustard very similar to frenchs but my local tesco no longer have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Pesto, hummus, cottage cheese

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

èGG whites and vinegar!

I've started using olive oil with crushed garlic as a sandwich ingredient, nice with lettuce and tomatoes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

rubadub wrote: »
    I use salad cream which is basically mayo + vinegar, has more of a sting to it and is lower in fat. Also there is low fat salad cream.

Before I cut out all sambos, I used salad cream.
    Less cals per 100g (less than low fat mayo)
    Stronger flavour, so you tend to use less, which reduces cals further

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

Thanks for those suggestions boys and girls, much appreciated.

Advertisement