Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connolly to Ballsbridge

• 16-02-2010 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭

Hi every1,

i need to get to AIB bankcentre in ballsbridge thursday from cork and i know how to get as far as connolly station but no clue from there.

Would really appreciate if people could offer some advice on the fastest way to get to this building from connolly.

I tried over 10times to ring reception but no one ever picks up so would be great if any1 here could help?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭rednik

Just jump on the Dart in Connolly and get off at Sandymount and you have a walk of less than 10 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

I would think that the fastest route from Heuston Station would be by bus:

92 bus from Heuston Station to Nassau Street and then any of 4, 4a, 5, 7, 7a, 8 to AIB Bank Centre directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

thanks red, sounds simple enough so. Any idea which direction i should set off in once at sandymount. Is the building near the RDS by any chance so as to have landmark to gauge by?

KC, Do all those buses actually stop outside aib centre ya? that wouldbe brillant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭rednik

Yep walk towards the RDS and the AIB is directly across the road from the front entrance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭glanman

make sure you get the southbound dart, should say bray or something on it. About 4 or 5 stops.

That said, I presume you are getting the train to Hueston so it could be easier to get off on o connell street and get a 4 or 7 on the clearys side of o connell street, get off then straight outside AIB, its across the road from the RDS, about 20 mins journey and no walk to get lost on:)

viper006 wrote: »
    KC, Do all those buses actually stop outside aib centre ya? that wouldbe brillant

They stop opposite the RDS - just before the Horse Show House which is a 2 to 3 minute walk to the AIB Centre further on along the main road.

Far easier than going to Connolly.

In fact get off the 92 at the bottom of Grafton Street just beyond the main gate to Trinity College and the 4, 4a, 5, 7, 7a all go from the same stop!

Bus times for the 92 are at:
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/92/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

you can also get a Luas from Heuston to O Connel st and get the 4 / 4a / 7 from there, I imagine it'd be quicker than waiting for a 92 if just missed one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I try both first. While via Connolly is longer it's all by rail.

JHMEG wrote: »
    I try both first. While via Connolly is longer it's all by rail.

Why should that make any difference?

The 92 is consistently faster than the LUAS to the city centre as it has a bus lane along the entire north quays, and the bus option avoids two long walks:
    1) LUAS to platform 6 or 7 at Connolly
    2) DART to AIB

With due respect I would almost stake my house on the bus being easier and faster.

• Advertisement

KC61 wrote: »
    Why should that make any difference?
    Rail is usually faster than road (you should know that). On that single basis alone I wouldn't rule it out without trying it first.

1) LUAS to platform 6 or 7 at Connolly
    Sneaky. It's to platform 5 when going southbound. A much shorter walk.

Rail is usually faster than road (you should know that). On that single basis alone I wouldn't rule it out without trying it first.

Usually but not always - and certainly not from Heuston to the city centre. There are still two longish walks involved in the LUAS/DART route (particularly from Sandymount DART station to the bankcentre) whereas the bus offers a seamless connection from Heuston to AIB.

Sneaky. It's to platform 5 when going southbound. A much shorter walk.

That depends on the time of day.

For much of the day southbound DART services operate from platform 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The OP is coming from Cork, I presume for the day. He's hardly in a position to try it out beforehand!

Personally I'd go with a bus from O'connell st / College green over DART from Connelly. I reckon its a lot faster and bus stop is less than 20 seconds walk from the main entrance to AIB. You get off at the Toyota garage with the lake in front of it

OP, if you feel you'd like to make the journey by all-rail, it's doable. It's also doable to avoid any rail contact after Heuston. It's down to personal preference really.

Mine would be LUAS, then bus to RDS, simply because you'd see AIB from the bus.

(Double post cos I'm on a mobile) Just make sure to get an all-day bus&luas ticket at the LUAS ticket machines in Heuston. Best value and no fidgeting with change. Also gives you options in case of something going awry.

thanks very much for all the tips..very handy to know regardless. I tink i prob go with the luas/bus to oconnell st and bus it from there on the 4/4a/7 if ive picked it up correctly as be good to physically be close to the centre when off the bus as dont have a clue of the surrounding area of ballsbridge..thanks again everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

viper006 wrote: »
    thanks very much for all the tips..very handy to know regardless. I tink i prob go with the luas/bus to oconnell st and bus it from there on the 4/4a/7 if ive picked it up correctly as be good to physically be close to the centre when off the bus as dont have a clue of the surrounding area of ballsbridge..thanks again everyone
    Just make sure to get the 4/4a/7 from the stop on O'Connell Bridge, much closer than the stop on O'Connell St, which is wayy off at the Parnell Sq end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

They stop opposite the RDS - just before the Horse Show House which is a 2 to 3 minute walk to the AIB Centre further on along the main road.

Far easier than going to Connolly.

In fact get off the 92 at the bottom of Grafton Street just beyond the main gate to Trinity College and the 4, 4a, 5, 7, 7a all go from the same stop!

Bus times for the 92 are at:
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/92/

I'd agree 92 is quicker on the way out, but due to the ridiculous lack of stops on the 4/4a/7 inbound in City Centre, it's awkward to get on a 92 back to Heuston without walking either
    1. The length of O'Con St
    2. Most of pearse street/college green
    3. The canal from Mount St to Wilton Terrace
    4. The length of Nassau St

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Going back get off the 5/4/4a/7/8 at Green's Bookshop after Merrion Square, walk up Nassau Street left onto Dawson Street, first bus stop there is served by the 92, 5 minute walk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭steve-o

You get off at the Toyota garage with the lake in front of it
    It's now a vacant building with a cesspit in front of it. Not the best landmark anymore :)

Advertisement