Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Indexing

Options
  • 16-02-2010 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm developing a site at the moment and it has a number of user profiles with a calendar function for each user. Google is picking the site up recently and is indexing a page for every date for every month for every user. Each profile has a main page and that is the most important really, and I don't think these calendar pages really need to be indexed by google, and I definitely do not want them appearing in google above the main page.

How would I fix this? Somehow disable indexing on the calendar pages perhaps?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

jimmybeige wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm developing a site at the moment and it has a number of user profiles with a calendar function for each user. Google is picking the site up recently and is indexing a page for every date for every month for every user. Each profile has a main page and that is the most important really, and I don't think these calendar pages really need to be indexed by google, and I definitely do not want them appearing in google above the main page.

How would I fix this? Somehow disable indexing on the calendar pages perhaps?

yep - see here for example (first link on google for "stop google indexing"..)
    http://www.antezeta.com/blog/avoid-search-engine-indexing

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭jimmybeige

The calendar uses a file called calendar.php. There are htaccess rewrites for all user profiles accessing this file at an address something like username/calendar.htm. It's just a simple rewrite to calendar.php.

Would I just prevent the calendar.php file from being indexed in the robot.txt file? I wouldn't have to add a seperate disallow for every username1/calendar.htm, username2/calendar.htm etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 paul.mcguinness

Place robots.txt file on the root directory of the server & put this inside it:

User-agent: *
    Disallow: /calendar.php

(assuming calendar.php is on the root, if not amend the path accordingly)

Google will actually penalize you for having links with no relevant content. querystring's etc should be used with care

Advertisement