Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

commute from athlone to sligo?!

Options
  • 16-02-2010 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi

After a long while looking for work I have been offered a job in Sligo.
    I was wondering if anyone is travelling across everyday or if you have done in the past?
    Is it a tough commute?
    Its only a 3 month contract so I would prefer to travel each
    day as opposed to leasing out an appartment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭mandz

I would say so... You would have to get from Athlone to N4 (which I would presume would require you to drive to Edgesworthstown) and then I think you're looking at about an hour and a half drive down. You should have a look on Daft, there may be places that are been let on a short term basis. If you house share you don't have to sign a lease, perhaps a short term tenancy agreement (if at all). Once you give your notice you can go. I'd say it would be a pretty tough commute every day, at least to Dublin people have the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Its not really a good commute. I got a job in Sligo a few years ago. I am from Athlone, and drove up and down a few evenings a week for training. Its about an 1hr 40 through Roscommon, Tulsk, Boyle.
    Its a bad road, and the good stretchs regularly have gardai checkpoints so no real area to make up time.

I was on a six month contract, and ending up moving up to Sligo. Its a great town, with lots going on. I ended up there for 14 months. And I would go back again.
    My advice is to try and rent a room up there.
    If you want to be back in athlone you can always go back midweek for a night to break up the week.
    But to commute up and down every day would be a nightmare. I actually drove up on Sunday, I wouldn't do it daily.

Try move up there and give it a chance. Loads of stuff to do to stay busy. Knocknarea, Surfing lessons in Strandhill, walking and cycling in strandhill and rosses point.

By the way which side of Athlone are you. If you out the ballymahon road (Glasson/Ballykeeran) etc a bit it may be better to use the longford way. better road (although Athlone to Longford has its fair share of bad road too) but a bit longer from my experience.
    Hope this is helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 queenbeeuty

Thanks for the replies,they are geniuinely really helpful.

I was having a look at Daft and it is relatively cheap to rent a room down there so that may be an option!

@boredatwork82,im renting on the Roscommon side of Athlone,so I'd
    have to go through Boyle,but my home house is out in Glasson and i may be moving back there in the near future so the Longford road would be handy,I also used to work in Longford so I know that road better!
    Thanks for the advice about Sligo itself,you make it sound like a lovely place to live:)

The other reason I'm hesitant to rent a room is because the company that
    I'll be working for have a branch in Athlone and I could possibly be transferred there in the future.

So its abit of a conundrum to say the least but I reckon I'll give it ago
    for awhile and see how I get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

I have always stayed in rented accomadation, because I was struggling to get a permanent position. Most room rental is fairly informal. 1 months notice ( or 1 week, depending on how you pay) is all thats required to leave most places. I only ever signed a contract on a room once, and the landlady was grand, as long as I gave her the months notice. As long as you are honest people don't mind.
    Most people don't care if someone stays for a month or 3 months or a year as long as they get some money in the door!

As for where to live in Sligo. I will leave that up to more informed people.
    Anyways Best of Luck with the new job and hopefully you can get back to Athlone, although Sligo is not a bad alternative at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

yea, its a crazy commute.. not the distance.. just the road.. unless the money was great its not worth it.

You'd spend 100 euro on fuel in a week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Blonde27

Hi there, i commute from Carrick on Shannon to Athlone-you would be looking at 1 hour and 45 minutes to get to Sligo-you best best is go to Boyle. However these roads can be bad enough in the winter. I have had to stay in Athlon quite a bit over last few weeks due to weather

Advertisement