Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get to Work

Options
  • 16-02-2010 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Money is very tight for me and my partner. It's getting so bad that I literally can't afford to get myself to work. It costs €65-70 for petrol and €70 for the bus, train & luas.

I am a civil servant and have applied for a transfer to a nearer location and I contacted the Employee Assistance officer who tried to help with my transfer and as it happens there is a vacancy near me but my boss wont "release me".

I am at home now as I can't get into work. My partner works in the opposite direction to me and also different hours. I have met with my boss over 3 times on this subject and he is well aware that I cannot get into work as I no longer have any money. He has wanted to contact my credit union on my behalf to help with loans and has also advised me to sell my car. Either of those situations I would not be comfortable with. Where I live, I need a car - it is a necessity not a luxury.

I have contacted HR and they said they cannot help me if my boss won't release me. I am a clerical officer and my current position is not incredibly difficult, any number of people could take over for me.

I am in a very awkward situation. I am willing and able to work, the nearer location would suit perfectly and I could be there in 20mins. I just don't have access to get to my present location.

I have tried citizens information but they cannot help me. I am not part of a union either although the application form is on its way out to me.

I am hoping that someone out there might have a helpful solution?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Well, unions in the public sector are powerful, so I'd definitely join the union.

Try NERA, the National Employment Rights Agency - they may have some suggestion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Go to your bosses' boss. Threaten to ring the radio if you do not get a transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Can you move?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

If they moved (assuming they're renting, not trapped in negative equity), wouldn't that then cost the OP's partner more money to get to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I honestly don't see what a union could do for you here OP. You took the job in the location it's in, chose to live somewhere inconvenient for the job's location and are looking for special treatment because of that tbh.

If the job's costing you money, leave and look for something else. Otherwise you're just going to have to find another way of working around this.

Can you sell your car and buy a cheaper one / one that's cheaper to run?

TBH, if you're missing work because of this, how long can you expect them to keep you on? Looking at it from your manager's position if he lets you leave he's no guarantee of getting a replacement for you, especially with the recruitment embargo on. This could be the only reason you still have a job as I know if my employees weren't showing up for work because of their own personal decisions I'd be firing them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 justplainme

How far away is your work? can you cycle?
    Also put up a notice at work and see if anyone lives out your direction that would be willing to car share and use each other's car alternate weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Could rent out a room in your house? You could get from 250 - 450 a month depending on location.

Could you get a lift half way from a coworker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Goesague

I am not part of a union either although the application form is on its way out to me.

Too mean to join a union! In my opinion you deserve everthing you get. You've been sponging off your fellow workers all along. I hope none of them give you a lift. I am not surprised your boss won't help. I am sure he does not like parasites.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Goesague wrote: »
    Too mean to join a union! In my opinion you deserve everthing you get. You've been sponging off your fellow workers all along. I hope none of them give you a lift. I am not surprised your boss won't help. I am sure he does not like parasites.

You're a really vile, nasty person. Banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I have contacted HR and they said they cannot help me if my boss won't release me.
    What's the reason, do you know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

OP, i'm finding it hard to understand how you can't afford €70 a month for a travelcard/petrol. Not saying I don't believe you..I just don't understand it. Is there nothing you can cut back on? Have you no savings? Can you re-structure a loan if you have one that is costing a lot to repay each month?

Why is this only becoming an issue now? If €70 for travel to work is breaking you, I can't see how much better off you'd be if you were working closer to home?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,600 ✭✭✭Speak Now

eth0_ wrote: »
    OP, i'm finding it hard to understand how you can't afford €70 a month for a travelcard/petrol. Not saying I don't believe you..I just don't understand it. Is there nothing you can cut back on? Have you no savings? Can you re-structure a loan if you have one that is costing a lot to repay each month?

Why is this only becoming an issue now? If €70 for travel to work is breaking you, I can't see how much better off you'd be if you were working closer to home?

I assummed he meant 70 per week :confused:
    A month would hardly be the straw that brakes the camel back as you say.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I can well understand why his/her manager won't release them- even before the recruitment embargo fewer than 1-in-6 posts in the civil service were filled, and with the embargo, it is certain that the person would not be replaced.

The norm in the civil service is you find someone in the location you want to go to- who wants to go where you are and you do a 'swap' via Personnel (this can be across different government departments). I remember seeing pages of people offering position swaps in the back of the CPSU and PSEU magazines (I haven't seen any magazines in the last year or two, but its well worth checking out).

What I don't really understand is why the 60-70 a week (I assume its a week) is such a problem all of a sudden? I fully appreciate the pension levy and the paycuts that came in on the first of January- but with all due respect- your cut in net cut in pay is not 60-70 a week (both cuts inclusive).

The unions manage swap systems for their staff- it really should be your first port of call. If your net take home pay is insufficient- you need to explore alternate income streams- being a civil servant does not exclude you from parttime jobs etc (as long as you declare the income and pay any taxes due as appropriate!!!).

I'm sorry for not being totally sympathetic- but bitching about the Employee Assistance Officer is not going to help your case- you need to be proactive, and take whatever steps are necessary to get (literally) where you want to go. You also need to be realistic- transfers can take months or even years in cases- it may take transferring into a different section in your current location as a stepping stone towards getting a move to another office- check out what your options are, and what logical moves you might make to get where you want to go.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Money is very tight for me and my partner. It's getting so bad that I literally can't afford to get myself to work. It costs €65-70 for petrol and €70 for the bus, train & luas.

I am a civil servant and have applied for a transfer to a nearer location and I contacted the Employee Assistance officer who tried to help with my transfer and as it happens there is a vacancy near me but my boss wont "release me".

I am at home now as I can't get into work. My partner works in the opposite direction to me and also different hours. I have met with my boss over 3 times on this subject and he is well aware that I cannot get into work as I no longer have any money. He has wanted to contact my credit union on my behalf to help with loans and has also advised me to sell my car. Either of those situations I would not be comfortable with. Where I live, I need a car - it is a necessity not a luxury.

I have contacted HR and they said they cannot help me if my boss won't release me. I am a clerical officer and my current position is not incredibly difficult, any number of people could take over for me.

I am in a very awkward situation. I am willing and able to work, the nearer location would suit perfectly and I could be there in 20mins. I just don't have access to get to my present location.

I have tried citizens information but they cannot help me. I am not part of a union either although the application form is on its way out to me.

I am hoping that someone out there might have a helpful solution?

You could sell the car! Then buy a cheap motorbike. I recommend a 250CC minimum and the insurance is dirt cheap also as well as the tax.

Your going to have to suffer the sale of your vehicle. You will find the loss of the car difficult in terms of rain shopping ( in particular DIY ) and more than 1 passengers but if it means keeping a good icome then it might be worth it.
    Has the missus got a car! Can you cope with one car.

A motorbike is cheap to run on insurance tax and petrol. They are very quick and there is no such thing as traffic. Cuts 70% off your journey time. That's also 40 - 50% less petrol sitting in traffic. The average large high 750cc + bike also run at 50 - 60 MPG. ( Miles per gallon. ) the average 50cc scooters do 122 - 144 mpg. Then you will find 125 cc that do an average of 100 mpg. Ideally you want a 250cc that will do over 85 - 95 MPG but buying this second and will prove hard to find.

Find the right insurance agent as some are more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

€70 for the bus, train & luas.

Have you looked into the taxsaver travel scheme? I know you still have to fork out initially, but you do get a considerable saving back. And just curious, how far do you live from work that public transport costs over €10 per day? I can only imagine that is if you buy each ticket as a one way fare, or have to travel quite a substantial distance?? If you get weekly/monthly tickets and apply for the tax relief it will make that much less.

Or as someone else suggested, what about putting a notice up for a car share? even if you picked someone up at the halfway point that would be a 25% saving for you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

eth0_ wrote: »

I would imagine it's only an issue now as public sector paycuts kicked in about 6 weeks ago.

Advertisement