Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Porto -v- Arsenal

• 16-02-2010 11:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭

FC-Porto.png-V-Arsenal-logo.jpg

Looking forward to a decent game in this one.
    We hammered them 4-0 at the Emirates last year and then lost 2-0 at the Dragao, although we sent out a youth team.

At a guess:

Almunlol

Sagna
    Vermaelen
    Gallas
    Clichy

Fab
    Song
    Diaby

Walcott
    Bendtner
    Nasri

Arshavin is injured and there is concerns over Song, which I'm more worried about tbh, so if Song doesn't play I'd imagine Denilson will go in instead of him.

Wenger seems to love playing Walcott in big games so I'd imagine he'll start. He is more suited to the open nature of CL games though and playing Rosicky ahead of him would force us far too narrow with Nasri as our other winger.
    We should have Eduardo back from injury for this one though.

I'd be very happy with a score draw.

Going to go with 2-2.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Gallas and Song didn't train so it'll probably be Denilson and Campbell in to replace them. I'd be a little surprised if Le Boss preferred Walcott over Rosicky for this one. Theo has the pace to hurt Porto but Rosicky has the experience and the form for a tricky away tie like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I'd be very happy with a draw. Know little about this current Porto side, but like always they have a number of players who will threaten any side, including Falcao. The media seem to be treating it as a formality, but it's going to be a tougher game than people expect imo.

For all I've said above I still want to see Song and Gallas rested though regardless. PL should be the priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

I'm expecting a close game but us to ultimately come out on top. Bender to score in a 1-0 or 2-1 win to the Gunners.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/arsenal-without-five-for-porto-trip-446444.html

Arsenal are without five first-team regulars for the Champions League trip to Porto.

Defender William Gallas (back), midfielder Alex Song (knee) and Andrey Arshavin (hamstring) were all absent from the 18-man squad which left Luton Airport this afternoon, as were goalkeeper Manuel Almunia :) and striker Eduardo (hamstring).

Veteran former captain Sol Campbell could be set for a first European appearance for the Gunners since the 2006 Champions League final defeat by Barcelona in Paris, while forward Carlos Vela returns from a knee injury.

Robin van Persie (ankle) and Johan Djourou (knee) are both long-term absentees.

Team (from): Fabianski, Clichy, Vermaelen, Campbell, Eboue, Nasri, Denilson, Fabregas, Diaby, Walcott, Bendtner, Mannone, Sagna, Silvestre, Traore, Vela, Ramsey, Rosicky.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Gonna be tricky now, even without Al.

I'd take a draw for sure.

• Advertisement

Going by the squad, I think he'll go with this:

Fabianski

Sagna
    Campbell
    Vermaelen
    Clichy

Nasri
    Denilson
    Cesc
    Diaby

Walcott / Rosicky / Vela

Bendtner

Subs: Vito Mannone, Carlos Vela, Aaron Ramsey, Tomas Rosicky, Emmanuel Eboue, Mikael Silvestre, Armand Traore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

the incredible Hulk is back for Porto tomorrow night

ill go for a 1-2 Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Paleface

I'm going for a 1-1. A lot of injuries and I expect Porto to score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Headshot wrote: »
    the incredible Hulk is back for Porto tomorrow night

ill go for a 1-2 Arsenal

Sure these European games are all he has to look forward to, and considering Porto haven't played in Europe in a few months I'm hoping he'll be rusty.

I wonder will Fabianski or Mannone get the nod. I'd imagine Fabianski but neither fill me with confidence.

I'd be a little surprised if Le Boss preferred Walcott over Rosicky for this one. Theo has the pace to hurt Porto but Rosicky has the experience and the form for a tricky away tie like this.

I'd prefer Rosicky to play ahead of Theo. But Wenger seems to like Theo in the bigger games.

Last year against United he was injured and his first start back was against United.

This year his first start back after a lengthy injury lay off was against Chelsea.

He just seems to put Walcott in in the bigger games...

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »
    I'd prefer Rosicky to play ahead of Theo. But Wenger seems to like Theo in the bigger games.

Last year against United he was injured and his first start back was against United.

This year his first start back after a lengthy injury lay off was against Chelsea.

He just seems to put Walcott in in the bigger games...

I reckon he's trying to build his confidence by playing him in these big games. So far it hasn't worked. Unfortunately with Theo he's either very good or crap, there's no in between. I hope he starts though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Roaster wrote: »
    I reckon he's trying to build his confidence by playing him in these big games. So far it hasn't worked. Unfortunately with Theo he's either very good or crap, there's no in between. I hope he starts though.

I think he needs a run of injury free games, he has showed glimpses of brilliance when he's had that before so, I'm fairly confident he will again!

So can we expect to see something like:

Fabianski

Sagna
    Vermaelen
    Campbell
    Clichy

Fab
    Denilson
    Diaby

Walcott/Rosicky
    Bendtner
    Nasri

Campbell playing really worries me. He's done alright in the FA Cup games and the other chances he's gotten. But I think European football might be one step to much for Sol, I'd imagine they'll tell Hulk to target him.

Frisbee wrote: »
    So can we expect to see something like:

Fabianski

Sagna
    Vermaelen
    Campbell
    Clichy

Fab
    Denilson
    Diaby

Walcott/Rosicky
    Bendtner
    Nasri

Campbell playing really worries me. He's done alright in the FA Cup games and the other chances he's gotten. But I think European football might be one step to much for Sol, I'd imagine they'll tell Hulk to target him.

Denilson playing worries me more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

jasonorr wrote: »
    Denilson playing worries me more.

Yeah me too. I hope to see some composure, they'll probably come flying out of the blocks at us, its so important we dont concede early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Before rading the injury news I would have settled for a score draw. Now I'll grab it with two hands!

Fabianski, Sagna, Campbell, Vermaelen, Clichy, Denilson, Fab, Diaby, Nasri, Rosicky, Bendtner.

Fabianski

Sagna
    Vermaelen
    Campbell
    Clichy

Fab
    Denilson
    Diaby

Rosicky
    Bendtner
    Nasri

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

images1833273_SolCampell.jpg VS 425.the.incredible.hulk.033108.jpg

Let the battle begin !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Wenger making some very valid points about the media "brain washing" the fans in itv4 interview (which it seems is now on ntl:confused:)

edit: Sousa's english is shocking considering he's a pundit...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

PORTO (4-3-3): Helton; Fucile, Rolando, Bruno Alves, Alvaro Pereira; Ruben Micael, Fernando, Raul Meireles; Varela, Falcao, Hulk.

ARSENAL (4-3-3): Fabianski; Sagna, Campbell, Vermaelen, Clichy; Diaby, Denilson, Cesc Fabregas; Rosicky, Bendtner, Nasri

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Hope Rosicky can get in a few decent crosses tonite, Helton has looked dodgy from crosses in the past. Bendtner and Diaby need to get in amongst him

great to have RTE back

bloody love them

Eamo and Ronnie, the perfect team

Helton is a very poor keeper imo. how he's managed to stay on as Porto #1 is beyond me. It's not just like Almunia where he's imploded this season, I don't think I've ever seen him have a decent game.

We need to test him early and often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Everyone is talking about Hulk for some reason, but seem to be forgetting how good Falcao has become this season (20 goals already in all competitions according to wiki). The player to watch tonight imo considering Hulk (according to many reports) isn't match fit.

Holy God Falcao raped Campbell for pace there, great recovering tackle though!

Jayzus there all over us...

what a tackle by sol there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

and again could be 2-0 to Porto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭patrickc

cmon the gunners:)

have two wee bets on

1-2

and walcott to score, for the craic

but wtf campbell.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭paul150

Shaky start :O dont want another liege

• Advertisement

great run by nasri...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Porto scores

Oh sweet Jesus...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

We need a new keeper.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Wow that was horrible :o

FFS Fabianski come on like...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭paul150

we are blessed with world class goalkeepers

How many times have I said that Fabianski is Almunia Mk II, ridiculous!

amacachi wrote: »
    We need a new keeper.

without doubt, but Almunia would have saved that without a doubt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

when is wenger gonna buy a decent keeper? seriously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Fúckin hell, loltastic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Truly cringeworthy Fabianski.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Bring John Lukic out of retirement please :(

Mr Alan wrote: »
    when is wenger gonna buy a decent keeper? seriously

Never, we already have 3 world class ones*

*Wenger's view

would we better with Mannone on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

That was shocking and it was like clichy wasn't even there he could be in for a torrid night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Shocking mistake. Could cost them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Shocking howler

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

patrickc wrote: »
    would we better with Mannone on?

Think we might be better with Eboue in goal :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

There wasn't even that much pace on the ball in and it wasn't particularly close to the near post either. shocking misjudgement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Terrible positioning but didn't need to fumble it into the goal. Double fail

• Advertisement
Advertisement