Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Porto -v- Arsenal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Does the ref not have to blow, that is what I thought

He does blow :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

major bill wrote: »
    goalkeeper hands the ball to the ref, ref hands the ball to the porto player,porto player takes it straightaway while refs back was turned and without the whistle blowing, surely that cant be right as the ref was kinda assisting the goal:confused:

nothing wrong with that tho

its just a quick free kick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Does the ref not have to blow, that is what I thought

Pretty sure he's blown all game. Terrible performance

EDIT: bah beaten to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

major bill wrote: »
    goalkeeper hands the ball to the ref, ref hands the ball to the porto player,porto player takes it straightaway while refs back was turned and without the whistle blowing, surely that cant be right as the ref was kinda assisting the goal:confused:

Eh, have you not seen other matches when quick free kicks are taken? The ref's back is nearly always turned.

If quick free kicks weren't allowed in the game then they'd take them out altogether. Perfectly legal goal.

The ref handed the ball to the Porto player because it was their free kick.... Easy.

EDIT: Sorry, I sound like a dickhead. I just be tired.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Campbell's fault for the backpass

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Helix wrote: »
    nothing wrong with that tho

its just a quick free kick

just seems odd considering its in the box and the ref handed the ball to the player but nothing suprises me anymore in football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Paleface wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me when referees will allow a free kick to be taken quickly and when they won't??

Its the greyest of grey areas to me....

When the player asks for it.

All it takes is a nod or something. A little "we're taking it quick ref" will suffice.

What people forget is that the referee DOES NOT have to blow his whistle a second time. Once he blows for the foul/indiscretion the team who was awarded the free kick can take it at any time, unless the referee tells them to wait for a second whistle.

It's up to the defending team to get organised and stay awake. Expecting the referee to do something he is not obliged to do is stupidity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Paleface

Frisbee wrote: »
    If the ref says wait, you wait.

If he says nothing, chance your arm and take it quickly.

Thats just bending the rules. My question though is if there is an actual rule governing free kicks being taken quickly?

dfx- wrote: »
    Campbell's fault for the backpass

Joint effort. Bad ball to be giving back to the keeper though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Thats just bending the rules. My question though is if there is an actual rule governing free kicks being taken quickly?

Yes, you can take it quickly as long as the ref doesn't instruct you to wait.

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    Eh, have you not seen other matches when quick free kicks are taken? The ref's back is nearly always turned.

If quick free kicks weren't allowed in the game then they'd take them out altogether. Perfectly legal goal.

The ref handed the ball to the Porto player because it was their free kick.... Easy.

EDIT: Sorry, I sound like a dickhead. I just be tired.

not every quick free kick, if a refs not ready or looking at something else he will blow up for it to be retaken and in this case i think he should have blown up, i couldnt care if arsenal lose or not just thought decision was bad.

Want to see the replay for the pen to see if we have been robbed :(

Should've been a penalty to be fair. Definite contact. Unlucky really.

Des wrote: »
    When the player asks for it.

All it takes is a nod or something. A little "we're taking it quick ref" will suffice.

What people forget is that the referee DOES NOT have to blow his whistle a second time. Once he blows for the foul/indiscretion the team who was awarded the free kick can take it at any time, unless the referee tells them to wait for a second whistle.

It's up to the defending team to get organised and stay awake. Expecting the referee to do something he is not obliged to do is stupidity.

Again no real rule here. Seems to be totally up to the ref's discretion. If he got laid that morning your luck could be in!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

worth pointing out that des is a qualified ref.

That was sexy by Nasri.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    worth pointing out that des is a qualified ref.

LOI ref?? i wont believe him so:p:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Does appear to depend on the individual ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Vela on for Bendtner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

all we need for that video is background music and speed up the above video :D

not really. If the ref says wait for a whistle, wait, if not, its on. simples.

• Advertisement

I don't even support Arsenal but my heart nearly skips a beat all the time when a cross comes in for Fabianski to deal with .

Headshot wrote: »

all we need for that video is background music and speed up the above video :D

I was thinking more on the lines of keyboard cat. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Are Clichy & Sagna having a competition to see who can give the ball away the most times in the space of 90 minutes?

they've both gone backwards big time in the last 12 months. very strange.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    they've both gone backwards big time in the last 12 months. very strange.

I think it might be the change in formation thats causing it. They are much more exposed and get less support on the wings.

Eboue on for Nasri

I think it might be the change in formation thats causing it. They are much more exposed and get less support on the wings.

It's the same formation they've played mostly this season but it's just different players and they're struggling to cope really.

The free kick can be taken at any time after the referee blows for it.

Unless the referee tells them to wait for a second whistle.

What is complicated about that? What can't people understand?

great little break from walcott there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

In practice it seems to depend on the individual ref alright.

Wow. Brilliant from Eboue but what great defending. Vital touch.

Diaby should've shot.

Brilliant stuff from Eboue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Great touch by Rolando to stop the shot from Fab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Walcott annoys me greatly, so you can run, anything else???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

diaby was class tonight but should have took that shot first time imo. walcott useless as usual

not the worst result for arsenal , 1-0 is alot worse than 2-1

Again no real rule here.

Football doesn't have rules.

It has LAWS, and the referees are the judges appointed to interpret the laws.

There are no hard and fast rules in association football at all. None, everything that is decided by the referee during a game are down to his interpretation of those laws.

Ball hits someone's hand, the referee must decide if it was intentional or not, and then apply the law as he sees fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

If you have any doubts about the officiating in this game, i suggest you catch the bayern v fiorentina match for some corkers.

Good result for Porto but I still fancy Arsenal to the job at home. Porto weren't that special. Two sloppy goals really that should've really been avoided.

Fabianski should've saved that cross-cum-shot and he should have never picked up that ball. Needless goals really.

daithijjj wrote: »
    If you have any doubts about the officiating in this game, i suggest you catch the bayern v fiorentina match for some corkers.

Same ref as Chelsea vs Barcelona semi last year right?

• Advertisement

I hightly doubt we'll see Fabianski anytime soon and I thought foster was bad :eek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Same ref as Chelsea vs Barcelona semi last year right?

Correct. (but i did say officiating, so read what you want into it, dont want to spoil the entertainmeent for anyone).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

2-1 isn't too bad a result for Arsenal. Much better than 1-0.

Shocking performance from Fabianski though.

Headshot wrote: »
    I hightly doubt we'll see Fabianski anytime soon again and I though foster was bad :eek

Meh, not much difference between him and Almunia atm...

Cesc looks seriously pissed in his interview.

Happy enough with the score, the away goal is crucial, we will have enough for them at The Emirates imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

when is van persie back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

He did grand when covering for Almunia earlier in the season...don't think one or two mistakes will be the end of him! End of the day if Almunia's fit he won't play, so may not have to worry about it!

Frisbee wrote: »
    Meh, not much difference between him and Almunia atm...

you think so

I watch alot of arsenals games and i think Almunia looks world class compared to Fabianski

im not saying Almunia is good enough, but for me he is miles better than Fabianski

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Comical stuff with the panel. Love that tractor beam they placed over Hansen. Beam him up :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement