Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calvin Harris gig was a swindle

• 16-02-2010 11:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭

Received this email today from the student union so turns out Calvin Harris wont be playing in carlow, lets hope they didn't lose any money! No loss to me as i'm not a fan but i know a lot of disappointed people

Hello all,

In relation to the Calvin Harris gig, the agent that we were dealing with for the Calvin Harris booking has turned out to be a scam artist. I am sorry to announce Calvin Harris will not be coming to Carlow March 4th. The guy we were dealing with has screwed us over completely. He had met us in the venue twice and had met with Dinn Ri Management. We had no reason not to mistrust this supposed tour manager as one of the officers knows him personally. He has a company called 'Energy Ents' and i would strongly advise people NEVER to work with this group. It also turns out that he pulled the same stunt in Cork for the Calvin Harris gig that was to go ahead in November 2009, which we only found out Thursday of last week.

The Student Union Executive and Class Reps have been notified. The Students' Union are going to do their very best to acquire a big act before the end of this academic year, May 2010.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭YoungPayters

glad i didnt buy a ticket. have a test the next day anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭duffman13

People were looking to buy them for ages luckily the students union didnt hand over any money or they could have egg on there face!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭e-Mo0?

duffman13 wrote: »
    People were looking to buy them for ages luckily the students union didnt hand over any money or they could have egg on there face!

I heard they handed over alot of money no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭duffman13

Not the case, they were organising through the foundry so any money that would have to be paid would be generated through ticket sales! No tickets were sold thank god

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Kola123

Oh it's terrible. I was looking at his website and like in the contact section it gives his real managers details, how could this have happened?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Who is Calvin Harris?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Uh oh Calvin Harris was planned for the NUI Galway Rag week too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭Bluefox21

Hey

Just in reference to Energy Ents would love to know the reason they gave for canceling. I know someone who works for them and while they may be over ambitious they are certainly not scam artists. The gig in Cork was programmed to go ahead and was pulled at the last minute by the Gardai with huge expense to the company. Because Calvin Harris's deposit had already been paid for a new gig had to be found, the foundry being an obvious choice because of Calvin Harris's relative lack of pull in Dublin for just a set.

I think it is a bit rich of the SU to be engaging in such defamation especially when no money actually exchanged hands. My inclination is that if the gig was pulled it was due to Calvin Harris who was probably offered somewhere else and opted to return the deposit. The fact that this gig could have gone ahead at a profit for Energy Ents highlights the need and possibility for the SU to attract bigger acts out of Dublin.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rayhartjnr

read this in The Herald this evening and I think it said Calvin Harris's guys we considering taking legal action or something!

Funny stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dave D

It now seems The Temple have got Calvin Harris for April 23rd their facebook page says tickets are going on sale monday on ticketmaster! Really hope this is not a scam too! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 munkytennis

hi All.
    just to let y'all know as Streetlife we are the promoters for the Calvin Harris Show at the Temple Carlow on 23rd April. It's 100% contracted and happening.
    We promote shows all over the country with Dave Clarke, Dan Le Sac v Scroobius Pip, Pendulum and lots more and are are really excited to be working with Calvin to do this show in Carlow.
    you can join our face book group "Streetlife Ireland" or email us at joe@cwb.ie with any queries .

thanks and see you on the dancefloor
    joe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭foundry

calvin harris in temple is a tribute innit? streetlife ireland? never heard of it..

Somethin smells fishy..

hi Foundry,
    no tribute, nothing fishy
    see Calvin's own website for confirmation!

http://www.calvinharris.co.uk/gigs.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭foundry

Cool! Fair play to the temple for gettin him! It's all over Beat.fm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNpLovHWbMU

Calvin Harris headines a massive line up at Temple Carlow this Friday 23rd April.
    Tickets flying for this one (he's coming in by ferry so will be there!)

Don't miss out !

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/1800446BC9723EF7?artistid=954227&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=202

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rockorver

Hi there,

I actually worked with Energy Events and I guarentee that we were not scamming anyone!

NO money was handed over and WE were the people scammed!! The gig was up on Calvin Harris' website and we had him paid in full but the gig did not go ahead because he was not able to make that date and only told us last minute.

The reason the Cork gig did not go ahead was due to lack of ticket sales and a problem with the venue license.

I assure you we tried our best but this has happened to every event firm before. MCD, Aiken and MIG Live have all had to do this at some stage. We were just incredibly unlucky that it happened to us twice so early!!

Advertisement