Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secret Joint Raid Captures Taliban's Top Commander

• 16-02-2010 12:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

Secret Joint Raid Captures Taliban’s Top Commander

New York Times Story just out.
    WASHINGTON — The Taliban’s top military commander was captured several days ago in Karachi, Pakistan, in a secret joint operation by Pakistani and American intelligence forces, according to American government officials.

The commander, Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar, is an Afghan described by American officials as the most significant Taliban figure to be detained since the American-led war in Afghanistan started more than eight years ago. He ranks second in influence only to Mullah Muhammad Omar, the Taliban’s founder and a close associate of Osama bin Laden before the Sept. 11 attacks.

Mullah Baradar has been in Pakistani custody for several days, with American and Pakistani intelligence officials both taking part in interrogations, according to the officials.

More here:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/16/world/asia/16intel.html?hp

The article goes on to credit the Pakistan intelligence services - but there's no doubt that the American agencies probably did the actual infiltrating and grabbing.
    The accreditation going to the Pakistan is likely a political manoeuvring to some extent seeing as the American presence is still a form of contention and a method used by the Taliban to stir support.
    So the Americans while making it look like they are separate from the Pakistan agencies and are distant agencies - probably in fact work together quite closely.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Well, the ISI and CIA did work together very closely during the Anti-Soviet Jihad that they helped create. Now this cooperation fell a part after the Anti-Soviet Jihad ended, due to the nuclear issue, and I think the ISI took that rather personally, but it look like they have kissed and made up so to speak.

While, I have no issue with the ISI working with the CIA to catch Taliban types. I think it best that the Pakistani government uses it own forces to do so, as using US forces will turn people against such cooperation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

wes wrote: »
    Well, the ISI and CIA did work together very closely during the Anti-Soviet Jihad that they helped create. Now this cooperation fell a part after the Anti-Soviet Jihad ended, due to the nuclear issue, and I think the ISI took that rather personally, but it look like they have kissed and made up so to speak.

While, I have no issue with the ISI working with the CIA to catch Taliban types. I think it best that the Pakistani government uses it own forces to do so, as using US forces will turn people against such cooperation.

well it's been spun that it was largely a pakistani led operation. Also it seems the ISI could have picked up this guy a lot sooner. which begs the questions:(A) why give him up now? and (B) Does this mean they'll give up Omar.
    I say that because i really don't see how Omar could have evaded capture unless he was being protected by people high up in the ISI.

Advertisement