Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crazy woman attacked me for parking

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

ironclaw wrote: »
    Have to agree. Its all well and good if you don't live there. The parking in UCD is a mess but it doesn't mean we should all go out into the local community and block up local roads. If you park on the road beside a house you should be around to move your car if needs be. Its common decency regardless if your parked "legally" etc.

What if, extreme situation, but your car had to be moved for emergency access etc? Oh wait, the owner is 15 mins away in UCD and non-resident. Insurance won't cover you if the fire brigade have to move your car. And by move its more of a cut the door off type of maneuver. :pac:

So are you suggesting people stand near their vehicles if they are parking off campus? Your analogy makes no sense. What about residents that park on street and work in town? I'm not really sure how cutting a door off a car would aid an emergency service either.

You will probably end up as the next Minister for Transport with thinking like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

So are you suggesting people stand near their vehicles if they are parking off campus? Your analogy makes no sense. What about residents that park on street and work in town? I'm not really sure how cutting a door off a car would aid an emergency service either.

You will probably end up as the next Minister for Transport with thinking like that.

No, I ain't that stupid to say people should stand by their cars. :pac: I don't live in an estate but many of my mates do. As a result I hear all the story's of cars left in estates all day much to the annoyance of the residents. Parked legally or not, your still not a resident and don't really have a right to just park your car there. I know you don't automatically have the legal right to any parking on the road outside your house, but it is normally common decency to let those spaces be for residents. "I don't live here but my lecture is calling, so that gives me an excuse" isn't really a great attitude.

But saying that, if I was absolutely with no other option and something major depended on it, I would probably park there. But not all day.
    I'm not really sure how cutting a door off a car would aid an emergency service either.

Common fire brigade practice to move a car etc if needed (Guidelines in place for it, not sure what they are as I'm on the medical side of emergency things). There are some photo's of it occurring at the Grange Pub in Killiney when it went up a few months back. Insurance won't cover it.

Not likely. The "transport" system in this country is a joke and would need someone on par with Jesus to set it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Maybe people who lie on the south-side of the city could try getting a bus or cycling to college?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,227 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What if, extreme situation, but your car had to be moved for emergency access etc?

It doesn't need an extreme situation. If a resident rings and says a car is blocking emergency access it will be moved. Normal parking should not come not this category though.
    If there is an issue the residents should just ask for parking permits and paid parking to be introduced on their street.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

All they have to do is smash your window and let off the handbrake.

• Advertisement

betafrog wrote: »
    Wow, that's not a sweeping statement at all..

I live on the south side of the city.. Quite close to UCD in fact. But to walk it would take over an hour and half, it would take 45 minutes to cycle (a LOT of uphill cycling involved) and thanks to the wonders of Dublin Bus there is no direct bus from my house to UCD meaning it takes an hour and a half to bus it to UCD. And yet I can drive there in less than 10 minutes.Get off your high horse and try to remember that not everyone has life as easy as you.

Very true. The 46A corridor is really the only decent bus route to UCD. Everything else is too infrequent or is crowded by the time it comes along. On the flipside however I know people who drive from Stillorgan, so those of us without a viable public transport method of getting to UCD find it hard to get parking.

Accomodation is distance / means tested, why isn't parking?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

What if, extreme situation, but your car had to be moved for emergency access etc? Oh wait, the owner is 15 mins away in UCD and non-resident. Insurance won't cover you if the fire brigade have to move your car. And by move its more of a cut the door off type of maneuver. :pac:

And you are always within 15 minutes of your car ? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

there is no direct bus from my house to UCD meaning it takes an hour and a half to bus it to UCD.

Should there be a direct route from everybody's house to UCD or something?
    All roads lead to UCD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Get off your high horse and try to remember that not everyone has life as easy as you.

LOL, I never had a car when I was in college that's for sure. Hardly any students did in this country before it went to hell in a hand basket.

This thread should be put in a time capsule as a perfect marker of fin de siècle Ireland. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

stovelid wrote: »
    Maybe people who lie on the south-side of the city could try getting a bus or cycling to college?

That would be everyone in UCD. Northsiders go to DCU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Wow, that's not a sweeping statement at all..

I live on the south side of the city.. Quite close to UCD in fact. But to walk it would take over an hour and half, it would take 45 minutes to cycle (a LOT of uphill cycling involved) and thanks to the wonders of Dublin Bus there is no direct bus from my house to UCD meaning it takes an hour and a half to bus it to UCD. And yet I can drive there in less than 10 minutes.Get off your high horse and try to remember that not everyone has life as easy as you.

How on earth can it take you 45 minutes to cycle from balinteer and yet be less than 10 minutes in a car? I live in Rathfarnham and it takes me 20 minutes at average pace to cycle in. If I decide to drive in, I'd say the quickest I'd ever get in would be 10/15 minutes, and that's with little or no traffic. At rush hour you have to leave about an hour early if you want to get in for 9, and then there's no parking after that if you're in any later(which leads us right back to the OP:P)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

I live on the southside, but it'd take me ages to cycle. There's also no buses from Bluebell to UCD. So drive it is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

No-one has a special right to park on a public road. If residents want a guaranteed parking space, they can get a house with a garage or a driveway big enough to park in. Or buy 4 sq m of land outside of their house

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

People along one road I walk along place cones just outside their houses to stop people parking there for the Luas. Other than that, its riddled with cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

OK, I'll change that to, there's no bus within a 20 minute walk that would get me directly to UCD.

Hence why I drive.

Hills. Steep steep hills.

There's one hill, and you're going down it on the way in! BTW, the 17 route is about 5 minutes from ballinteer as well.

Look, you can just say "I like driving my car even for a short commute and I'm willing to put up with the problems associated with it" but it means you don't get to bitch about parking or traffic.
    Mushy wrote: »
    People along one road I walk along place cones just outside their houses to stop people parking there for the Luas. Other than that, its riddled with cars.

If I drove daily and was parking my car there, unless it was a marked private space or double yellows, someone would be getting their cone dropped back into their front garden for them. Same crap as people 'keeping' spaces for their mates here by standing in them.

Also, a couple of the printable notices from here (probably) wouldn't help, but would be pretty amusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭captainscarlet

Dont need more parking spaces. All that needs to happen is that student card holders and university staff park free while the rest of the southside b*stards, who take advantage of the free parking and who can make it to UCD before 8 o clock, have to pay for a day pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

A multistory carpark (possibly in the gravel carpark behind Quinn) combined with a student/staff verification system would make parking far less problematic. Just require all cars parked on campus to have a sticker in the windshield that can be gotten from admin for say a 20e a year fee for all staff/students.

As it stands the use of all the car parks down near the main gate is a complete joke. Ive gone in at weekends to find the carparks 90% full, definitely not full of students. Most of my ex-student friends (and myself) all regularly park in UCD when we're going on holiday and then catch the aircoach in from there, leaving our cars parked in spaces for days or weeks at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Blut2 wrote: »
    As it stands the use of all the car parks down near the main gate is a complete joke. Ive gone in at weekends to find the carparks 90% full, definitely not full of students.

You do know research and experiments and actual work get done here? They even have the National Center for Infections beside the lake. Its not all about the arts modules :D

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Grimes wrote: »
    You do know research and experiments and actual work get done here? They even have the National Center for Infections beside the lake. Its not all about the arts modules :D

And of course most of the playing surfaces on campus are near those carparks as well... Sports centre are mad keen to get people in to pay to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

don't forget the glee club.. they're in this weekend too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

she was driving an SUV, then she is one of those people who thinks they need an SUV in the middle of a city, probably has a husband with a nice job, yeah you know the types

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Sell your car and you'll get a bike that will get you into into UCD quickly hills or no hills. I can't think of any route within 10 minute car journey from UCD that would have hills impossible to overcome. Within the urban area you'll be able to get home faster with a bike during rush hours and reasonably close outside rush hour. If you'll spend >500 on a road/hybrid you'll be grand. Driving cars in the city is nonsensical and belongs in the 20th century. Parking problems are just a symptom of outdated habits. UCD mioney should be spent on education/welfare, not to support an inefficient and environmentally unsound mode of transportation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Grimes wrote: »
    Hemmed in by two completely **** cars. Im sure you have tried to get out of that carpark only to find that someone has parked across the entrance?

3 completely ****e cars! It actually looks more like Focus was squeezed in between the other 2 rather than the other 2 hemming the Focus in.

snowblind wrote: »
    UCD mioney should be spent on education/welfare, not to support an inefficient and environmentally unsound mode of transportation.

Transport is the smallest contributor to environmental problems, at least on a CO2 level. Forestry and Industry are both individually bigger.

But I do agree that parking should be distance tested. If you wanna drive from Stillorgan you should pay for it while the people in the greater suburbs / surrounds get a reduced fee. Parking should most definitely be on a permit system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Transport is the smallest contributor to environmental problems

It's the best of the worst, that doesn't mean it's not bad... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

.....people in the greater suburbs / surrounds get a reduced fee.....

Parking should definitely be on a permit system alright but I wouldn't agree with making concessions for people who live further away. Its the commuters who live in Kildare, Meath & Wicklow (so that they can have a semi-detached house with front and back garden like their parents had) who are contributing most to traffic volumes and urban sprawl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

I'd love to have a car. It would be my accommodation and transport! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Its the commuters who live in Kildare, Meath & Wicklow (so that they can have a semi-detached house with front and back garden like their parents had) who are contributing most to traffic volumes and urban sprawl.

Yes that is exactly why ppl live miles away from where they work. :rolleyes: And it is their fault that the public transport system outside of Dublin city is ****e.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

You can't criticize people for wanting that: look at the tiny apartments that are around. Very hard to find a 1980's or 1990's build apartment which tend to be built for people as opposed to many from the 00's, which are built for hobbits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Apartments were built in the past decade for individuals or couples with perhaps a small baby, but no 'family sized' apartments were built.
    Absolute failure on the part of the government (Fianna Fail), An Bord Pleanala and the developers themselves, hence why we now have these satellite counties around Dublin

Advertisement