Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Media misrepresenting the facts

• 16-02-2010 1:24pm
    Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭

Why are they doing this?

Herald AM

Gives the impression that they assasins were Irish/British/French
    http://www.herald.ie/breaking-news/national-news/irish-hunted-over-hamas-killings-2064656.html
    When this is the reality.
    The police chief also said, “We have no doubt that it was 11 people holding these passports, and we regret they used the travel documents of friendly countries.

mab1_16022010.jpg

A combination image made from undated photos released by the Dubai Ruler's Media Office on Monday, Feb. 15, 2010, which were claimed by Dubai's Police Chief to show eleven suspects wanted in connection with the killing of a Hamas commander, Mahmoud Al Mabhouh, in his Dubai hotel room last month. (From left to right, top row): Evan Dennings of Irish nationality, Gail Folliard of Irish nationality, James Leonard Clarke of British nationality, Jonathan Louis Graham of British nationality; (From left to right, middle row) Michael Bodenheimer of German nationality, Paul John Keeley of British nationality, Michael Lawrence Barney of British nationality; (From left to right, bottom row) Peter Elvinger of French nationality, Kevin Daveron of Irish nationality, Melvyn Adam Mildiner of British nationality, Stephen Daniel Hodes of British nationality.

This link is the only (english language) site on the web that names the suspects.

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticle09.asp?xfile=data/theuae/2010/February/theuae_February475.xml&section=theuae

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

But you have no evidence to suggest is wasn't them.

or are you suggesting a Irish national could never be capable of doing something like this.

Heres another question, why would Dubai police lie to protect Israel?

Its not like Israel give a monkeys about what the rest of the world thinks about them, so why go to these lengths now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Oh noes! They found out we got oil,gas and gold still in the ground :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Why are they doing this?

Herald AM

Gives the impression that they assasins were Irish/British/French
    http://www.herald.ie/breaking-news/national-news/irish-hunted-over-hamas-killings-2064656.html

How does it give the impression that the assassins are Irish? Even the headline casts doubt on that:
    'Irish' hunted over assassination

Also from the same article:
    But at home, the Department of Foreign Affairs said the three alleged Irish citizens named do not exist. "We are unable to identify any of those three individuals as being genuine Irish citizens. Ireland has issued no passports in those names," the department said in a statement.

The government said the Irish passport numbers publicised by Dubai authorities are also counterfeits, because they have the wrong number of digits and contain no letters.

and:
    Hamas has accused Israel's Mossad secret service of masterminding the killing and has vowed revenge.

Why do you leave all this out? Did you think nobody would click on the link you posted and read the article? Or did you not read it properly yourself?

This link is the only (english language) site on the web that names the suspects.
    http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticle09.asp?xfile=data/theuae/2010/February/theuae_February475.xml&section=theuae

Eh, no it's not. The Herald article you took issue with also named them:
    Dubai police identified the Britons as Michael Lawrence Barney, James Leonard Clarke, Jonathan Louis Graham, Paul John Keeley, Stephen Daniel Hodes and Melvyn Adam Mildiner. The Irish suspects were named as Gail Folliard, Evan Dennings and Kevin Daveron, and Peter Elvinger of France and Michael Bodenheimer of Germany are the other two named suspects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

has the article changed since the OP posted the link? because what's there now is emphatic that there is doubt that these people are Irish:

"The Department of Foreign Affairs reacted to the news quickly, claiming the Irish citizens did not exist.
    "We are unable to identify any of those three individuals as being genuine Irish citizens. Ireland has issued no passports in those names," the department said in a statement. "

might have been updated since the OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I wouldn't take anything printed in any Independant news and media publications at face value. Look at who runs that company, Tony O'Reilly is what you could easily describe as a "NWO shill".
    The "unbiased" coverage of the Lisbon treaty in his papers was sickening, so I'd just ignore anything they have to say about anything.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Truthrevolution

In fairness the Herald is barely a step above the daily tabloit wrags, i would take their articles with a large grain of salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

People still losing sleep over the media. Guys come on ffs. The media has always been twisting or manipulating many stories and scandals. My god you'd swear people just realised like it was yesterday we were told the world isn't flat and people reacted in complete shock that we were lied to all this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

I think all newspapers have always had their own agenda's.If it wasnt founded by a rich business man with a strong political belief(which could be good or bad depending on your viewpoint)it would be founded by a political party or group with a religious slant.

Depending on what you think depends on how you react to the news contained within the paper or media outlet.

Also keep in mind it could just be bad journalism

mab1_16022010.jpg

And not one of them has red hair.!! I smell a rat.......:D

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

mab1_16022010.jpg

Anyone else think it looks like the game board for Guess Who of 80's fame?

btw I misread the Herald article earlier :D:D;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Does he have a Beard?

Does he have a Beard?

Yeah stubble, you win. It was the hippy chap top row 2nd from the left.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

someone mentioned it another thread, but how many EU countries allow you to keep your Glasses on in a Pasport Photo??????

I had to take mine off the last time.

And that looks like a wig the Burd is wearin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

someone mentioned it another thread, but how many EU countries allow you to keep your Glasses on in a Pasport Photo??????

I had to take mine off the last time.

And that looks like a wig the Burd is wearin.

It depends on how old the passport is. In my old one I had my glasses on in the photo but that was about 8 or 9 years ago at this stage. New passport I had to take my glasses off for the photo.

Israeli officials forged the Irish passports used in the murder of a top Hamas operative, it has been revealed.

A report in Dublin by the Irish Passport Service notes that eight forged passports were used and Israeli officials had asked to see the Dublin plant where security-enhanced passports are made just a month before the killing.

Up to 27 people were said to be involved in the murder of Mahmoud al-Mabhouh in a Dubai hotel on January 19. Three fake Australian passports, four French, 12 British, one German and eight Irish passports were used in the killing.

The genuine Irish passports – whose numbers had been used in the forged passports – had been through frontiers in Europe and the United States, but not in the Middle East.

The Irish Independent has reported that the Israeli Foreign Service went to the Department of Foreign Affairs at the end of last year to say it was very impressed by the new Irish passports and their in-built biometric components.

The Israelis requested they be allowed see how the features were built in, but were turned down.

“After the killing in Dubai, one of the bosses here said whoever refused the Israelis getting into the passport plant should be promoted,” a source within the department said yesterday.

Fine Gael’s foreign affairs spokesman Billy Timmins stated: “I am calling on the minister to publish the report’s findings, so there can be transparency in regard to what exactly happened and what steps need to be taken to prevent a re-occurrence of such a serious lapse.”

In the parliament on Thursday, Foreign Minister Martin said two of the eight forged Irish passports were those of children.
    http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Irish-passports-used-in-Hamas-killing-by-Israel-were-forged-94687919.html

Meanwhile Australia has expelled an Israeli diplomat (Mossad agent)

Australia expels Israeli diplomat over Dubai killing

Mahmoud al-Mabhouh Mahmoud al-Mabhouh was killed in his hotel room in Dubai on 19 January

Australia has expelled an Israeli diplomat saying Israel was behind the forging of Australian passports linked to the murder of a Hamas operative in Dubai.

Australia's foreign minister said these were "not the actions of a friend".

The UK took similar action in March, after concluding that Israel was responsible for the use of forged UK passports in the plot.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/asia_pacific/10145459.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Nick Dolan

Whats the big deal with them using Irish passports? Theres no accusation that Ireland was involved in yer mans murder was there?

Nick Dolan wrote: »
    Whats the big deal with them using Irish passports? Theres no accusation that Ireland was involved in yer mans murder was there?

its a big no no by a foreign and supposedly friendly country to use forged passports of that country.

Its an even bigger no no to get caught doing it.

Also it puts every person that carrys an irish passport at risk getting sh1t of security in different countries if allegedly irish people are going around assinating targets.

I worked in the gaza strip/west bank and one of the reasons I worked there safely was because I was irish and my only bit of identity i had on me was my irish passport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

seriously, them mugshots are all of the same person!! i tihnk only the last 2 are different! the rest are just disguises!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Suggest change in thread title "OP misrepresenting the article"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

The_B_Man wrote: »
    seriously, them mugshots are all of the same person!! i tihnk only the last 2 are different! the rest are just disguises!

You are actually right some of those people look like they are twins :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement