Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fuji CF 16GB - how many RAW?

• 16-02-2010 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hi,

Could someone tell me how many RAW shots I'd expect to get with a D3 & a Fuji Compact Flash 16GB 100x?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It depends - raw or jpg, size of jpg?

A rough guess would be about 1,000-1,500 images.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭khc

Lossless compressed RAW on a D3 - 10MB. Do I calculate how many 10MB files fit into 16GB or is there anything else I have to factor in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

My lossless compressed RAW's on my D3 are about 12MB, my uncompressed about 25MB. I get 155 images per 4GB card on lossless uncompressed, 2x4GB cards gives me 310 images so a 16GB card would give you about 620 images or thereabouts.........and still about 60-70% battery life too!

I think initially when I got my D3 I had it on lossless compressed and the figures weren't that different.

pete4130 wrote: »
    My lossless compressed RAW's on my D3 are about 12MB, my uncompressed about 25MB. I get 155 images per 4GB card on lossless uncompressed, 2x4GB cards gives me 310 images so a 16GB card would give you about 620 images or thereabouts.........and still about 60-70% battery life too!

I think initially when I got my D3 I had it on lossless compressed and the figures weren't that different.

Mine are always just under 10MB - weird. Is there another setting that affects size to make mine smaller? I was hoping I'd get about 1,600 on the card!

Lighting, detail, shadow, colour all affect the size...if its a white wall or similarly coloured/lain image the file size will be smaller. I'll switch mine to lossless compressed now and tell you what size I'm getting.....brb.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭trican

Given the option, why would anyone not use lossless compression?!

How lossless is it though?

I just checked. 155 images per 4GB card on compressed, lossless compressed and uncompressed. This is shooting a 14 bit image though!!!!!

The lossless compressed was just shy of 15MB, the compressed was shy of 12MB.

I then switched to 12bit and the lossless compressed file was about 11MB and I get 199 images per 4GB card.

I'm guessing you are shooting with the camera set to 12bit as the files sizes seem to match what your getting.

Edit: So you would get about 800 images on a 16GB card shooting 12bit images using lossless compressed files and 1600 if you were using 2*16GB cards.

yes, I'm 12bit. think i'll get the card anyway, i can't afford anything else right now. i've probably spend the value of a lens on sandisk cards at this rate.............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

khc wrote: »
    Could someone tell me how many RAW shots I'd expect to get
    Paulw wrote: »
    It depends - raw or jpg?

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i would suggest your better with a bunch of smaller cards

with one big card all your eggs are in one basket

with say 4 4gig cards the chances of loosing everything are much less

• Advertisement

stcstc wrote: »
    i would suggest your better with a bunch of smaller cards

with one big card all your eggs are in one basket

with say 4 4gig cards the chances of loosing everything are much less

my problem is i'm doing a wedding for a friend (foc) and i can't afford a few cards - she wants the card so i'm not using my own.

i hear you though - i had a sandisk extreme 4 corrupt on me during a job, thankfully i had backups but it was only about 2 months old and cost me about €200..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

you can get smallish 2 or maybe 4 gig sandisk 3 cards for about 20 or 30 euros

so wouldnt cost too much

why she want the card and not just all the images on a dvd?

stcstc wrote: »
    you can get smallish 2 or maybe 4 gig sandisk 3 cards for about 20 or 30 euros

so wouldnt cost too much

why she want the card and not just all the images on a dvd?

where can i get them cheaply? i usually use gunns for sandisk 4 but i don't remember it being that cheap - conns have 4gb sandisk 3 for €50, so 16gb would be €200.

a dvd will only store 4.7GB or 8GB so it's easier to give her the card (she's a photographer and can read CF) also that means i don't have to transfer anything, i can just give her all the files directly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Freddie59 wrote: »

sorry i mean anywhere in dublin? i need them this week!

16GB, speed is not an issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭stunt_penguin

Conns on Claredon Street - 4GB, €50
    http://www.connscameras.ie/sandisk-extreme-iii-cf-card/p-619659022426pd.html

I know John Gunn charges less but I don't think it's €20. Do you know where in Dublin I can buy a 16GB for £65?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

I posted a thread last week

2GB Sandisk Cards for €5

....one person thanked me :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

Try Currys, they have good deals on Sandisk Extreme 3s. I got a 4GB for €10

wow - I'll definitely try Currys, there's one near me. I didn't know they even sold CF

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

khc wrote: »
    I didn't know they even sold CF

they keep them in a cupboard (no kidding) you have to ask

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64438606&postcount=1

Advertisement