Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking in Cork... Again!

Options
  • 16-02-2010 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

Ive recently acquired a cork (damn I meant car, although with weather we've had something that floats might be better) from my sister... she's out of the country for a few months. I live just beside finbars cathedral and need residents parking permit. The pain in the arse with this is Id have to change all the insurance details logbook Tax etc.

Does anyone know of some free/cheap parking around the city. At the minute Im parking outside a friends gaff in Douglas and walking home. So im not opposed to a bit of a hike

Dont really use the car that often for around town etc. only when leaving town. Any helpful ideas?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

101001 wrote: »
    Ive recently acquired a cork from my sister...

A new brand of car :confused:

I googled it but my computer said no...:eek:

Parking is only free after 6.30pm or all day Sunday...
    On street parking is usually 2 euros for 2 hours, not sure about off street parking...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Ive recently acquired a cork (damn I meant car, although with weather we've had something that floats might be better) from my sister... she's out of the country for a few months. I live just beside finbars cathedral and need residents parking permit. The pain in the arse with this is Id have to change all the insurance details logbook Tax etc.

Does anyone know of some free/cheap parking around the city. At the minute Im parking outside a friends gaff in Douglas and walking home. So im not opposed to a bit of a hike

Dont really use the car that often for around town etc. only when leaving town. Any helpful ideas?

Don't mean to be be smart but why not sell the car and join the GoCar sharing scheme? They have a pick-up/drop-off point on Wandesford Quay, which is just a couple of minutes from St Finbar's cathedral.

No parking hassle; no tax or insurance or even petrol costs to pay and it's on your doorstep. Worth considering I'd say. I don't know what the rates are but I'm sure it must be okay for the convenience. I was just looking at their site and they reckon if you drive less than 8,000 K per year, you'll almost certainly save money with them.

www.gocar.ie

P.s. I have no connection with GoCar - its just seems to make sense when they have a collection point in in your immediate neighbourhood.

Ivor

By Ballyhehane library is probably the closest on street no disc required area to you. Generally cars parked for days on end in areas often get attention, be it from the Gardai or vandals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

RoverJames wrote: »
    By Ballyhehane library is probably the closest on street no disc required area to you.
    Nice one... vandals... not so good. I assume you mean ballyphehane yeah
    why not sell the car and join the GoCar sharing scheme?
    Dont think my sister would appreciate me selling her car... 'hey welcome home! I flogged your car and went drinking!'... I dont think she'd actually be that surprised tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Nice one... vandals... not so good. I assume you mean ballyphehane yeah

Dont think my sister would appreciate me selling her car... 'hey welcome home! I flogged your car and went drinking!'... I dont think she'd actually be that surprised tbh.

You could a) park it on that bit of Cornmarket Street towards the quay, that is actually private, unused property and so you can't be ticketed/clamped.

b) get a Cork City Council hi-vis vest, put it over the driver's seat and, strangely, you will never get a packing ticket as the council workers won't ticket fellow staff.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 ResidentHill

evilivor wrote: »
    You could a) park it on that bit of Cornmarket Street towards the quay, that is actually private, unused property and so you can't be ticketed/clamped.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but is the above still true?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

evilivor wrote: »
    Don't mean to be be smart but why not sell the car and join the GoCar sharing scheme? They have a pick-up/drop-off point on Wandesford Quay, which is just a couple of minutes from St Finbar's cathedral.

No parking hassle; no tax or insurance or even petrol costs to pay and it's on your doorstep. Worth considering I'd say. I don't know what the rates are but I'm sure it must be okay for the convenience. I was just looking at their site and they reckon if you drive less than 8,000 K per year, you'll almost certainly save money with them.

www.gocar.ie

P.s. I have no connection with GoCar - its just seems to make sense when they have a collection point in in your immediate neighbourhood.

Ivor

I don't think it's an option for the OP as the car is his sister's...maybe it wouldn't be so nice for him to sell it and pocket the money :)

As for GoCar, I've been a member for about 3 years before needing a car of my own; I've used both their cars and their vans, in Cork and Dublin, and it's certainly a very useful service.

The only downside at the time was that the whole thing was only convenient for short trips: couple of hours at maximum, and no more than 25-30 km. If you needed the car for the day, a normal rental would have been cheaper - although I just saw they do have a "24 hours" rate now, which seems quite competitive.

Advertisement