Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am i a bad mommy?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

OP, in this day and age with the economy the way it is anyone who can spend all day or even the best part of the day with their dogs should consider that a luxury.
    On paper your dogs situation wouldn't appear appropriate but the reality is your guy is ok to stay at home while your in work, would you consider getting him a companion? I have 3 dogs and a cat and I think this is why my 3 don't mind me going to work, they are walked either before or after I go to work depending my hours, they get their dinner then go to sleep, I've come home early or unexpectedly and they've always been asleep in their kennel none the wiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

hells bells at the end of the day we all have to go out to work and leave our pets thats a fact of life,,If you've had this dog for 2 years ,,,, he is obviously well adjusted and happy ,,other wise your apartment would not be in the same state when you got home.. dont worry ,you know your dog ,you know he's happy..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I don't think it's cruel. Dog's are quite happy on their own often, and yours obviously is. I know dogs who stay indoors while their owners are at work and they just sleep, because dogs need lots of sleep anyway. My dogs are outdoors but mostly sleep all day except when I'm out with them. If he has two walks a day then he should be fine.

King Charleses are lovely, I have three. I'd say that if you are really worried about him, would you think about getting another one as a friend for him? :) I think dogs are happiest with other dogs, even more than with people. Or a cat if you like cats.

Or some toys that have treats in them and he has to spend all day playing with. Or leave him treats hidden in random places in the apartment that he has to sniff out and find.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Instead of recording 9 hours on a dictaphone/mobile (impossible really), why not ask the neighbour if the dog has been barking?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

You can get a cheap dictaphone that is voice activated so it is easy to check. It could be that the dog barks if it hears a noise like your neighbour leaving their property. The nice thing with using a dictaphone is that it gives you evidence as well as peace of mind. The webcams that can be linked to a mobile phone are also good.

You are being a very responsible owner. Many dogs are not walked before being left. Many spend all day & night in a garden with no companionship. I have just come in from leaving mine for 8 hours. They had a 40 minute off lead run around this morning & have just had "tea" & are now sleeping till it's time for their evening walk.

• Advertisement
Advertisement