Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spam - but is it a scam too if I reply to "STOP" ?

Options
  • 16-02-2010 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I had received a spam text a few months ago from "Arramount Furniture".
    I reported it to O2 and they forwarded it to the data protection office.
    The data protection office rang me and said they received a number of other complaints about the text and would investigate.
    I haven't heard anything back from them since.

But I just got another text from "Arramount Furniture recession sale".
    This time it says "To opt out txt STOP".

But the number is +2783889150162.

(I don't know if posting this number is against forum rules but imagine since it's of a commercial/spam nature and not a personal mobile it's okay)

Anyways, if I replied "stop" would I get charged ?
    Is this a scam ?

I ask because the +27 is the country code of South Africa, so it might be some kind of scam.

Any thoughts ?
    Or am I just being scam paranoid ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Just got it as well and sent the STOP message, I'll let you know later how much it cost me, just before I complain to Meteor about it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

+2783889150162
    That is a South African mobile number.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I got one of these this morning too. Never noticed the number until i seen this thread. I've replied STOP to it so we'll see what happens in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 jimmytwomey

Believe it or not I have got txt messages from Vodafone which I didnt think I signed up to. That redirects you to a website to opt out. This must be the proper way to OPT OUT.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

Bond-007 wrote: »
    That is a South African mobile number.
    Go for it. It's sure to be legit!

• Advertisement

I replied STOP to this message and it cost 20 cent, standard cost for international texts.
    I also forwarded the message to Meteors Spam service, you simply send a message to 50002 as per
    http://www.meteor.ie/support/your_phone/spam_msgs/
    A very nice meteor representive rang me this morning to get more details and to ask for permission to raise a case with the data protection commissioner on my behalf, which I was more then happy to give.

I would urge everyone who has gotten these texts to do the same as the more people that complain the more chance there is of the data protection commissioner actually doing anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Update : I just got an e-mail from the Data Protection Commissioners office asking if I'd be willing to act as a witness if this came to court. I said yes.

So fair play, they're actually going after these text spammers.

Yeah, I just got that email as well, fair play to them.
    i've kept the message on my phone too, just in case the spammers say they never sent it. :)

Advertisement