Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedestrian Crossings in Limerick

Options
  • 16-02-2010 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭

Berty you would be the man to answer this but if anyone else has any input would be appreciated

Is it a Limerick thing, or a national thing that most of our pedestrian crossings are practically on roundabouts?! Could you pick a more dangerous place to have a pedestrian crossing? Especially with 2 lanes using the road in each direction! Its seems unbelievably stupid!! Take the parkway and Crescent as prime examples. Say its rush hour, your in the left lane heading out of town at the crescent, McDonalds on your left. The right lane is at a standstill, your going towards County Hall so your moving. There is a truck on the right side. You drive past the truck at say 30mph next thing out of nowhere a pedestrian using the crossing....you couldnt see him cos the truck was blocking your view...bang!
    Or Parkway, you have cars there all the time trying to use the Dublin Rd exit into town. Most in the wrong lane, they are bombing it. Next thing someone steps out on the pedestrian crossing which is practically ON the roundabout, slap of the brakes....skid....potential carnage!

As a famous Spartan once said....This is madness!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I think the ones by the Shannon Bridge roundabout are even more dangerous, both to motorists and pedestrians.

I enquired about them before and recieved a reply from someone at City Hall saying that they were in the best possible position in terms of road safety and that something like what I suggested, (a small footbridge) just would not work on such a busy road.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

One of my pet hates!
    These crossings are so fecking dangerous.
    I really think it is only a matter of time before there is a major crash because of the stupidty of where they are placed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

Kess73 wrote: »
    I think the ones by the Shannon Bridge roundabout are even more dangerous, both to motorists and pedestrians.

I enquired about them before and recieved a reply from someone at City Hall saying that they were in the best possible position in terms of road safety and that something like what I suggested, (a small footbridge) just would not work on such a busy road.:rolleyes:

Why on earth not :rolleyes::(
    Clowns.
    surely the best place to have a pedestrian crossing on a road like the Condell Road would be about 50-100 metres away from the roundabout exits, its a straight road from about 200 meters to the roundabout! Its 2 lanes in, one lane out. But the 2 lane part doesnt seem to stop them at any other pedestrian crossing...??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Liam79 wrote: »
    There is a truck on the right side. You drive past the truck at say 30mph next thing out of nowhere a pedestrian using the crossing....you couldnt see him cos the truck was blocking your view...bang!

Why would you be doing 50kph off a roundabout in heavy traffic? Why would you go up the inside of a stopped lane of traffic, with HGV's blocking your view at that speed? The pedestrian crossings are certainly very close to the roundabout from the point of view that they cause traffic to bunch up at the exit but to drive past a pedestrian crossing with an obstruction before it at that speed is stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

I've noticed the stupid placement before. I've nearly been run over on the one off the roundabout on the shannon brdige. It's crazy, it's a simple fact that lots of drivers might not see someone until the last second with them the way they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The placement of these crossings are decided by the council and in the case of the crescent crossing in partnership with the Engineer's would designed the flyover.

I personally do not agree with the Groody rounadbout crossings because they are on a highly busy roundabout on a national route with multiple lane's approaching it.

The students canvassed the council for this and even, using guerilla tactis, painted their own. Ironically the illegal one was better positioned that the councils.

These crossings, by the council, are in place to faciliate a more pedestrian friendly city in advance of the tunnel and the advent of lighter traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

That one on the Shannon bridge always struck me as being poorly positioned and borderline dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Its common in Frnace to have them on roundabouts too - and they just as dangerous over there. think our City Leaders probably saw them there and thought they were great. The ones on Shannon Bridge dangerous for both pedestrians and drivers. Parkway one just plain stupid. You are coming off the roundabout quickly trying not to get rear swiped and suddenly have to stop at ped crossing. The one on Dock Road down 100m from the roundabout makes more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

The pedestrian crossings on the Groody roundabout are a nightmare for pedestrians and motorists. Often I have been 2 lanes across when a car comes shooting up the third lane especially if there were lorries blocking their view. A pedestrian subway would be perfect in this location as either side of the road is considerably lower than the road itself. I am guessing a subway system of this type would be an awful lot cheaper than a footbridge over the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Mrmoe wrote: »
    I am guessing a subway system of this type would be an awful lot cheaper than a footbridge over the road.

The work involved is too much to consider.

The bridge would have been a good idea but then again people like to throw things off bridges. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Berty wrote: »
    The bridge would have been a good idea but then again people like to throw things off bridges. :rolleyes:

The type of people who if you ask were their mother meet their father they say at the family reunion!!! (off topic i know sorry mod hammer)

The one at the Groody RB is a joke. But these kind of crossings tend to be replicated around the country in places were its just not safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Does anyone have any accident stats showing that these crossings are dangerous? If you drive at an appropriate speed this shouldn't be a problem. Being flippant for a moment, there hasn't even been any anecdotal evidence to say they're dangerous!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

The placement on the roundabout I'd put down to pedestrian laziness/apathy. If they weren't that close, ud still have Limerick pedestrians cross there instead of walking an extra 50 yards up the road and back down on the other side. they're not ideal, but at least they get the drivers to be a little more vigilant for pedestrians at these junctions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

you have cars there all the time trying to use the Dublin Rd exit into town. Most in the wrong lane, they are bombing it.

well isnt that a problem with drivers??

why are they "bombing" it?

there is a speed limit

there is a known pedestrain crossing

why speed specially when there is traffic??

idiot drivers more than anything. these people should not be driving. where would you sudjest moving the crossing. people need to cross the road. drivers dont own freedom of movement...............

but of course if you drive your up your own ass on this topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

zuroph wrote: »
    The placement on the roundabout I'd put down to pedestrian laziness/apathy. If they weren't that close, ud still have Limerick pedestrians cross there instead of walking an extra 50 yards up the road and back down on the other side. they're not ideal, but at least they get the drivers to be a little more vigilant for pedestrians at these junctions.

why shouldnt they be able to cross at the end of that road?

its drivers stupidness more than pedestrian carelessness. if you are speeding you should be done for it full stop. if you speed up when you see a yellow light you should be done for it full stop.

drivers are more at fault than pedestrians full stop................

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

As a famous Spartan once said....This is madness!

A Spartan never said that.

Jumpy wrote: »
    A Spartan never said that.

Very True Jumpy :D Some weird bloke standing a foot from a black hole said it!! Silly boy.........!!

Icky Thump, get over yourself mate!! Let me guess all motorists are evil, all cyclists and pedestrians are Good :rolleyes: Its a fact of driving, especially on the Parkway Roundabout that if you dont accelerate to some degree, your going nowhere!!

If they positioned Pedestrian Crossings say 100 metres from roundabouts on straight entrances it would be safer for all concerned. The pedestrian is not at half as much risk, and the drivers will be braking coming up to a roundabout, before slowly taking off again, making them less likely to hit the roundabout at speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

at least the parkway one coming off the dublin road into the city centre should be up by the green railings where the park inn is as that would be ideal for the foot traffic flow of those crossing the road towards rhebogue or in to the p/way..As for the groody, one sunday morning speeding coming from town needed to get to dublin in a hurry i know i know..another car on the right of me speeding too we both pass the roundabout i spot a lady crossing at the ped lights skiddddd just stopped in time for her the other guy missed her by inches...never again..just be careful..no excuses now but maybe it was the height of the roundabout that I couldnt see the other side therefore having time to slow the feck down and stop speeding with the other guy in his beamer me in my 95 corsa wanting to show him Its got power too...ahh the terrible ego

at least the parkway one coming off the dublin road into the city centre should be up by the green railings where the park inn is as that would be ideal for the foot traffic flow of those crossing the road towards rhebogue or in to the p/way..As for the groody, one sunday morning speeding coming from town needed to get to dublin in a hurry i know i know..another car on the right of me speeding too we both pass the roundabout i spot a lady crossing at the ped lights skiddddd just stopped in time for her the other guy missed her by inches...never again..just be careful..no excuses now but maybe it was the height of the roundabout that I couldnt see the other side therefore having time to slow the feck down and stop speeding with the other guy in his beamer me in my 95 corsa wanting to show him Its got power too...ahh the terrible ego

:D
    But seriously ! :eek::mad:...............................:D!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

I agree with Icky Thump 100% and I drive through the Parkway and Groody roundabouts everyday on my way to and from work.

The only danger here is drivers who use the wrong lanes or speed up to stop other drivers from cutting them off.

I have never had an issue approaching one of these pedetrian crossings where I found it dangerous.

• Advertisement

I'll let you know Liam that little corsa had 23000 miles on the clock was like a dream used to love passing big flash cars on the motorway on the drive to dublin..great fun..even those speeding they see this little car flying past them..used to stroke my ego..a cheap 500 euro car with little tax passing a 2l lexus :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I'll let you know Liam that little corsa had 23000 miles on the clock was like a dream used to love passing big flash cars on the motorway on the drive to dublin..great fun..even those speeding they see this little car flying past them..used to stroke my ego..a cheap 500 euro car with little tax passing a 2l lexus :D:D:D:D

You know thats just because they were mature enough not to speed right?

as i said that was on a motorway and as said it was passing others who were speeding!! I used to speed but do not anymore no point what am i gonna acheive 5 minutes earlier at my destination? for what?

Advertisement