Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY Vidock - external card for notebooks

Options
  • 16-02-2010 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭

I am looking at buying a new notebook shortly and I am keen to get something with decent graphics so I can do the odd spot of gaming.

I came across a discussion here to do with attaching an external device using the Expresscard slot on your notebook to which you can then attach a standard high-powered desktop graphics card. Attach an external monitor and a PSU and you're away. This solution is a DIY and customisable alternative to a commercially available device in the US known as Vidock.

This method seems to work quite well and could solve the problem of underpowered graphics cards in budget notebooks. A good way of upgrading your old notebook graphics too when you feel the need.

Anyone else come across this solution or tried it out? The interface card is cheap enough to get from China.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

What are the exact costs. External monitor, graphics card which will output 60% less then in a desktop due to the bandwidth constrictions, combined with a low power netbook cpu which will have about 50% power of a desktop cpu. I would say buy a small desktop and reasonable graphics card and use that for games and the netbook for what its supposed to do.

Advertisement