Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Searching Posts in The Gentlemens Club

• 16-02-2010 2:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭

it's been pointed out in this thread that as it stands regular users cannot use the search function in this forum.

This poll is to let the users decide whether or not we ned to ask to have this enabled, or if the things should stay as they are.

Maybe you don't care either way........

Anyways, we'll leave this poll open for 7 days, which I think is a fair enough time for everyone with an interest to have their vote, and it puts a timescale on things too, so that everyone knows what to expect and when. Hopefully thats ok.

I'll copy relevant info from the initial thread here, so that there is one thread and one discussion going on this. It might influence your thinking on the matter in a way you hadn't thought of before.

Cheers

MM

Do you want searching to be enabled in The Gentlemens Club? 25 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    76% 19 votes
    I don't really care
    24% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

• there seems to be little discussion of sensitive issues on this forum and it's purpose has shifted completely since it's foundation. Similar forums just as the ladies lounge are open.
    • There is an inconsistency here between this forum and other boards forums.

• if you're worried about people digging up "dirt" - if someone is snooping, they'll use "last 20 posts" rather than a general search term. I don't think there's much scope for damage in people searching specific terms - more than likely they are searching those terms because they need help themselves.

• If people are really sensitive, the size of the forum now means that restricting it to just tGCers isn't really a big advantage. There may have been less traffic in the old mens health, but nowadays a lot more people are browsing threads they notice in here, rather than coming here specifically. So I think the argument about the embarrassment factor is less relevant a factor than the potential gain from casting the net wider
    • Seeing as how google caches everything anyway and the homepage has a "search Google.ie" widget on it, then search is not really blocked. So not having the in-site search just makes things more awkward and is equivalent to a feature bug.

• I think it's similar enough to PI being unsearchable - It means if someone goes into your user history, they can't go searching any problems or health queries you have, or any answers to queries other folk have.

• This forum started out as a mens health forum and to respect that and to make posters feel more comfortable posting searching was turned off the same way as it is in PI/RI.

• leave it off & update the charter to remind interested parties that search is disabled here & anonymous posting is supported.

• I think not being able to search it is a good thing, it provides a safe area for guys to post about problems/dilemmas etc, looking for male responses (usually) and don't want a song and dance about it. They might not want to post in PI because they would prefer a male POV and they might feel more comfortable in the male community here.

• In the grand scale of things whether the forum is searchable or isn't doesn't really have a huge impact. Just means the search bar doesn't work, you can dig for threads yourself. Also the vbulletin search isn't that amazing either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

Don't want to be identified? Post anonymously, simple.

I don't see the point of not allowing search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Can you still post anonymously in a forum when the search function is turned on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭trout

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Can you still post anonymously in a forum when the search function is turned on?

Yes. Anonymous posting is not bound to searching. They are independent.

We are not proposing any change to anonymous or unregged posting ... that's a seperate matter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

In that case, I can't really see a reason not to have the search function.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Just wondering how popular is the TGC ...i.e. traffic passing though.....I've only recently joined it as a regular...if searching enabled more people to participate, then think it would be a good thing...it's hard enough to 'find' TGC unless you know where to look for it...also, any ideas on a permanent 'thread' on mens issues..i.e. ask any question on mens health in this thread and get a few answers instead of 1 thread for every issue...could attract more people in...just a thought though, and I'm sure there's problems associated with that also..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I think this is going to come down to moderator decision given the number of "don't cares".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭trout

Poll has several days to run yet ... too early to call.

About twelve hours to run peoples so get your speak in now.

• Advertisement

it appears by a narrow margin that we maintain the status quo and searching remains disabled in this forum

Advertisement