Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to bread with soup

Options
  • 16-02-2010 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭

I love to have some crusty bread with my homemade soup but always end up going through half a loaf. Trying to cut down on bread in general so is there anything i could use to compliment my soup? I really can't think of anything that could go with soup as well as bread.....

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Can't you just work on portion control? Just allow yourself one slice of bread, and that's that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

For some people, bread is a real "trigger" food - one slice is never enough!

I know what you mean paddylonglegs. One way to get round it is when you buy a sliced loaf, freeze it into 2-slice portions. Then remove a portion when you want to have it. Hopefully if it's frozen you won't be compulsively grabbing it, as it will take thought to go and get it, defrost it and toast it or whatever.

Some people enjoy crackers or crackerbread with soup; can't say I'm a huge fan.

If you are making home-made soups - make chunky ones with vegetables, meat and potatoes in - or even a little rice, or noodles or pasta. These kinds of soup are a meal in themselves and don't need bread with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

For some people, bread is a real "trigger" food - one slice is never enough!

I know what you mean paddylonglegs. One way to get round it is when you buy a sliced loaf, freeze it into 2-slice portions. Then remove a portion when you want to have it. Hopefully if it's frozen you won't be compulsively grabbing it, as it will take thought to go and get it, defrost it and toast it or whatever.

Some people enjoy crackers or crackerbread with soup; can't say I'm a huge fan.

If you are making home-made soups - make chunky ones with vegetables, meat and potatoes in - or even a little rice, or noodles or pasta. These kinds of soup are a meal in themselves and don't need bread with them.

hmm pasta or noodles might be the way alright, i suppose its carbs etc but it will still limit as i will have go to the trouble of cooking extra if i wanted extra

• Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Faith wrote: »
    Can't you just work on portion control? Just allow yourself one slice of bread, and that's that.

but bread is so good!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Depends on the kind of soup but I like making some baked baby boil potatoes cut into chunks and just throwing them into the soup.

If you're stuck on bread try going for a healthier wholemeal maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i have pitta bread with mine. just keep them in the freezer

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Few Rivita crackers on the side? They're yummy with loads of butter a little Flora :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Crackers, break them up and throw them into the soup like croutons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I just use a bigger bowl and take a bit more soup so I don't need the bread. Wouldn't help of course if the soup is loaded with cream but I try to keep them healthy when I'm making them!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

but always end up going through half a loaf.
    So don't buy a loaf, buy one of those mini baguette things. I have given up buying sliced pans, I just demolish them when I come home drunk!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭MardiB

Low fat cream cheese on crackers is great with soup, especially avonmore tomato and basil soup, yummy!

Advertisement