Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Certificate Fees 2010

• 16-02-2010 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hey all, really excited, speaking on the Gerry Ryan Show tomorrow morning bout the Leaving cert fees this year

109 for normal
    283 for repeats

Am i the only one who finds this really high??

why are repeats paying more? they being punished for making a mistake?
    I do 9 subjects atm, my brother does 6, we pay exact same figure, why is this?

Love to hear everyones views on this topic!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭aoifeX

ya while i think everyone should have to pay the 109 euro for them i think that charging repeats that much more is a disgrace!
    theres a good chance il be repeating next year ( need 560:rolleyes:) and while i would have no bother paying the 109 euro i wouldnt be happy to pay the 280 or whatever it is!

i do 9 subjects aswell and it doesnt make sense that i get charged less than a repeat who would usually only do 6!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Cathal93

Exactly! And they put these costs on us, cause its hard enough for us to complain when we're busy with the leaving!

Trying to think of as many points as I can for Gerry tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

and if you repeat as an external candidate it's €308

1 subject external repeat = €109
    2 subjects external repeat = €199
    3 subjects external repeat = €308
    4 subjects external repeat = €308

So it's an extra €90 for the second subject but and extra €109 for the third subject. Are these figures right? :confused:http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ex&sc=ef

but if the student or their parents/guardian have a medical card then it's free

what about the €40 to appeal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

aoifeX wrote: »
    ya while i think everyone should have to pay the 109 euro for them i think that charging repeats that much more is a disgrace!
    theres a good chance il be repeating next year ( need 560:rolleyes:) and while i would have no bother paying the 109 euro i wouldnt be happy to pay the 280 or whatever it is!

i do 9 subjects aswell and it doesnt make sense that i get charged less than a repeat who would usually only do 6!

Repeats pay more because 1st timers are subsidised! repeats then pay the full belt because they dont get subsidised the secoond time, which is fair enough!!

And FYI dont make the point that poor people cant pay this much cause if you've a medical card you dont have to pay for the exams!

and just another point: if your going on slagging teachers and the dept ask the researchers can you use a false name!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

283? Wow, no one told me it would be that high. And I'm probably right in assuming that this isn't included in the other fee repeats had to pay last October.

I can understand them charging us more because we've done the leaving cert before, but 174 euro extra seems excessive. Especially considering that a lot of repeats -myself included- aren't getting their fees paid by their parents this time round. I don't know where I'm going to get the money for this.

• Advertisement

pathway33 wrote: »

what about the €40 to appeal

the 40 for the appeal is fair enough cause you get it back if there was a mistake!! sure if it was free EVERYONE would have EVERY exam checked!!

How does the government expect us to pay such high figures? Where is the breakdown in where are money is going?

6 subjects :109
    my 9 subjects: 109

What do I get 3 free for the craic?

Mr. 6 subjects, I'd imagine, wont be happy with that?

And 283 for repeats, or 308 as you mentioned, sure of course lets just punish those who made mistakes, sure its terrible that people are human, and broke down under pressure...

Cathal93 wrote: »
    How does the government expect us to pay such high figures? Where is the breakdown in where are money is going?

6 subjects :109
    my 9 subjects: 109

What do I get 3 free for the craic?

Mr. 6 subjects, I'd imagine, wont be happy with that?

And 283 for repeats, or 308 as you mentioned, sure of course lets just punish those who made mistakes, sure its terrible that people are human, and broke down under pressure...

Its easier to just charge the blanket fee!!

sure it'd be tough enough to charge everyone a diff fee!! sure theres two maths papers and one biology paper, do you charge more for that??

do you charge more for woodwork when you've to send an inspector out to the school to grade the projects??

I presume if someone wanted to do 20 subjects that would also be €109

Someone could probably do em all...still only 109?

So how does this balance up?

• Advertisement

Someone could probably do em all...still only 109?

So how does this balance up?

wonder what the irish record is? Put out the call tomorrow. Maybe someone could have a crack at the world record. I think there's over 30 subjects altogether.

'What did ya get in your leaving?'
    '30 OD3's :D'

trying really to think of as many points i can make to Gerry on the show tomorrow!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The fee candidates are charged does not come close to covering the costs of running the exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

wonder what the irish record is? Put out the call tomorrow. Maybe someone could have a crack at the world record. I think there's over 30 subjects altogether.

'What did ya get in your leaving?'
    '30 OD3's :D'
    or even more impressive all HD3 < that might not be that bad :P

H2student wrote: »
    or even more impressive all HD3 < that might not be that bad :P

that means you'd have to be pretty fluent in irish, english, french, spanish, italian, german, latin, ancient greek, hebrew, russian and japanese. Not bad for a 17 year old :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

If I didn't send out my subjects form already, I would say "is that a bet?" :D

H2student wrote: »
    If I didn't send out my subjects form already, I would say "is that a bet?" :D

€10 says you can't do 30 HD3's in 2011 :D

that means you'd have to be pretty fluent in irish, english, french, spanish, italian, german, latin, ancient greek, hebrew, russian and japanese. Not bad for a 17 year old :p

can you imagine how tired you'd be after the two weeks in june?? you'd go on the piss till sept!! well you'd be doing your mmocks till june anyway......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

While the fee may seem high, I don't see what the big fuss is about. It costs a fortune to run the exams and the fee is heavily subsidised e.g. LC HL Irish scripts cost €27 to correct; that's without the costs of printing exam papers and answerbooks, paying a superintendent, paying the assistants, scribes and readers, the postage and transport, having a school open, setting the actual paper and paying the staff in the State Exams Commission.

In fairness, you'll have to pay to sit exams in college. Any driving test isn't free. These things cost money to run.

I would also imagine that anything up to 50% of all students are exempt (anyone got any figures?) from paying this fee due to being medical card holders.

I've a strange feeling that Gerry Ryan won't be discussing the price of the 'Leaving Cert holiday' or the debs or there won't be a thread on it here:rolleyes:

deemark wrote: »
    While the fee may seem high, I don't see what the big fuss is about. It costs a fortune to run the exams and the fee is heavily subsidised e.g. LC HL Irish scripts cost €27 to correct; that's without the costs of printing exam papers and answerbooks, paying a superintendent, paying the assistants, scribes and readers, the postage and transport, having a school open, setting the actual paper and paying the staff in the State Exams Commission.

In fairness, you'll have to pay to sit exams in college. Any driving test isn't free. These things cost money to run.

I would also imagine that anything up to 50% of all students are exempt (anyone got any figures?) from paying this fee due to being medical card holders.

I've a strange feeling that Gerry Ryan won't be discussing the price of the 'Leaving Cert holiday' or the debs or there won't be a thread on it here:rolleyes:

A summary of the points i made that are being ignored!!
    Someone should ring the "ryan line" on the other side of the debate!!

• Advertisement

A summary of the points i made that are being ignored!!
    Someone should ring the "ryan line" on the other side of the debate!!
    What other side of the debate? That people who already can't afford these fees should be charged more? And it's not that easy to get hold of a medical card, especially not these days.

Lets see Deemark, wonder if you would be so acceptant of these payments if your parents were earning a low wage, like so many people in this country. Fact of the matter is we pay 109 euro for these exams, an increase from 97 from last year. Now tell me its fair that politicians of this country earning an almost minimum of 95000 euro in this country, who are considering lowering the minimum wage in this country, can demand us to give them this money this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The driving test is a different story altogether- doesnt cost the RSA 70 euro to put someone in a car and "assess" someone's driving for 20 minutes, personally I think its just a money spinner but thats a different story

For what you get/do for the LC 109 euro is a fair price. You have to do orals, practicals which cost money to administer, plus the actual costs of printing and distributing papers which must be huge I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

Thats a disgrace! Especially seeing as this year, 1 in 2 of every applicant is not going to get their third level place and may be forced to repeat!

Its becoming all about the money again. So you have this LC exam fee, you also have the fee for the CAO application. Students going for Medicine have the HPAT fee! Why repeating students are being forced to pay so much more is really dumbfounding! Its not their fault that the points access levels for some of the courses out there are at crazy levels and missing a course by 5 points forced you into having to repeat the entire year?

Something is so so wrong with the Education System here.

How can the fee increase by 12.5% this year? Doesnt the public sector pay of the correction and exam attending, orals and practical assesors get the most from this pay? Yet arent public sector worker's pay down this year? Please could someone explain??

Lawliet wrote: »
    And it's not that easy to get hold of a medical card, especially not these days.

I beg to differ, the number of medical card holders is increasing in line with the number of those on the dole.
    Fact of the matter is we pay 109 euro for these exams, an increase from 97 from last year. Now tell me its fair that politicians of this country earning an almost minimum of 95000 euro in this country, who are considering lowering the minimum wage in this country, can demand us to give them this money this year.

This fee has always been there! It has gone up by €12, an increase which didn't just come in lately. It has always cost money to sit the exams. Where is the outrage about the cutbacks in our schools-the cut in the pupil-teacher ratio, SNA allocation, the grant cuts for LCA, TY and other programmes, book schemes and the increase in school transport costs? As for politicians, what have they got to do with it? It's not as if there was a big vote in the Dail about LC fees.
    felic wrote: »
    Why repeating students are being forced to pay so much more is really dumbfounding! Its not their fault that the points access levels for some of the courses out there are at crazy levels and missing a course by 5 points forced you into having to repeat the entire year.

EVERY repeat student didn't miss out by 5 points through no fault of their own! Repeating is a choice, you are using the system a second time. The extra fee is meant to be a minor disincentive. Wait until you get to third level - to repeat there brings you from 'free' one year to the full cost of the year's tuition on the repeat.

I beg to differ, the number of medical card holders is increasing in line with the number of those on the dole.
    Considering how those in full-time education can't actually sign on for the dole, and therefore aren't automatically eligible for the medical card, your point is a bit irrelevant.

Considering how those in full-time education can't actually sign on for the dole, and therefore aren't automatically eligible for the medical card, your point is a bit irrelevant.

Most of the posters here are complaining that it's a big expense on their parents, so it's the parents' circumstances I was referring to, which makes it relevant to the majority of LC students. Once you were entitled to a medical card under your parents, it's not difficult to get your own once you turn 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

felic wrote: »
    Thats a disgrace! Especially seeing as this year, 1 in 2 of every applicant is not going to get their third level place and may be forced to repeat!

Not everyone who does the leaving wants to progress to 3rd level.

• Advertisement

What other side of the debate? That people who already can't afford these fees should be charged more? And it's not that easy to get hold of a medical card, especially not these days.

the side of the debate that these fees are completely ripping people off! may parents arent rich by anyway at all. my mother isnt even in the minimun wage! but i pay cause its fair!

theres someone in our school this year who didnt do her mocks cause she wouldnt pay for them!! what a joke like

Advertisement