Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Certificate Fees 2010

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Cathal93

deemark wrote: »

This fee has always been there! It has gone up by €12, an increase which didn't just come in lately. It has always cost money to sit the exams. Where is the outrage about the cutbacks in our schools-the cut in the pupil-teacher ratio, SNA allocation, the grant cuts for LCA, TY and other programmes, book schemes and the increase in school transport costs? As for politicians, what have they got to do with it? It's not as if there was a big vote in the Dail about LC fees.QUOTE]

I'm also angry about the cut backs, sna allocation etc, but you tackle one problem at a time. And you've just answered my question. It is the politicians fault, where is the big vote in the Dail, where is the decrease in costs, especially when everyone is struggling to meet basic payments? Not everyone can avail of a medical card, yet may struggle greatly in making these payments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

Cathal93 wrote: »
    deemark wrote: »

This fee has always been there! It has gone up by €12, an increase which didn't just come in lately. It has always cost money to sit the exams. Where is the outrage about the cutbacks in our schools-the cut in the pupil-teacher ratio, SNA allocation, the grant cuts for LCA, TY and other programmes, book schemes and the increase in school transport costs? As for politicians, what have they got to do with it? It's not as if there was a big vote in the Dail about LC fees.QUOTE]

I'm also angry about the cut backs, sna allocation etc, but you tackle one problem at a time. And you've just answered my question. It is the politicians fault, where is the big vote in the Dail, where is the decrease in costs, especially when everyone is struggling to meet basic payments? Not everyone can avail of a medical card, yet may struggle greatly in making these payments

the gov subsidise it heavily! of course its gone up, the country is in the ****!!

im sure if you went to your school and told them you couldnt pay they would sort it out for you

gemxpink wrote: »
    Honestly don't blame her. Was tempted to do this myself, had to pull the money out of thin air.

Why can't medical card holders be exempt of the mocks fees too? Ridiculous that you can be exempt from the state exams but have to pay for the mocks. It should be an all or nothing pay for both of pay for neither.

Well i suppose the biggest joke wit her was that she went to the institute in Dub last year, tats about 6k right?

the school cant pay for everything like.. the school would surely let you pay it off on a weekly basis or something like?

someone has to pay it..

i know thats prob the last thing you want to hear!!

She probably got a grant or something from her parents employers, they can do that sometimes.

I understand that someone has to pay it but I know that our school was insistent on you bringing in the €100 odd euro or whatever it was by the Friday before the mocks and if you didn't bring it in in full you couldn't sit them. I'm sure you could arrange it but most schools seem to be fairly 'pay in full now or you lose your chance'.

Its a balls really like but no teacher or principal wants to see someone who genuinely does have the money not pay!

Like i heard it was costing our school in the region of 20k for our mocks! if everyone didnt pay or even 30% didnt itd be a big hit for them! they have to be strict but im sure theyd be reasonable!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

That whole idea of schools charging for mocks just annoys me. It's a complete farce. In my school, we don't pay anything for the mocks (although it might be included in the €50 stationery fee at the start of the year) and the teachers themselves correct the papers (the papers are DEB, by the way).

It's a much fairer system, as the mocks are a huge expense for parents, especially considering that they are so badly organised, that the questions can be often unusual, that it is so easy to get the paper of your friends or off the internet, and that the correcting standards (if they are sent away) aren't in keeping with that of the real SEC.

It is also my opinion that the mocks are too early, mid-March (when I have my Applied Maths mock!) is a more suitable time, as the course will be covered and there would be no need for teachers to replace questions etc.

Edit: The Gerry Ryan Show is on from 9-12 tomorrow morning. Do you know what time they will be talking about the LC Fees? I would be interested in listening to it. Thanks

• Advertisement

That whole idea of schools charging for mocks just annoys me. It's a complete farce. In my school, we don't pay anything for the mocks (although it might be included in the €50 stationery fee at the start of the year) and the teachers themselves correct the papers (the papers are DEB, by the way).

It's a much fairer system, as the mocks are a huge expense for parents, especially considering that they are so badly organised, that the questions can be often unusual, that it is so easy to get the paper of your friends or off the internet, and that the correcting standards (if they are sent away) aren't in keeping with that of the real SEC.

It is also my opinion that the mocks are too early, mid-March (when I have my Applied Maths mock!) is a more suitable time, as the course will be covered and there would be no need for teachers to replace questions etc.

Edit: The Gerry Ryan Show is on from 9-12 tomorrow morning. Do you know what time they will be talking about the LC Fees? I would be interested in listening to it. Thanks

here here

I agree here but some teachers are retarded in fairness and couldnt correct them even if they were getting paid. like with english and irish where the making scheme isnt 3 marks for this minus 1 fot that. some teachers are poor but by right the companies are a scam really like!!

sure you could correct biology and chem anyway yourself and maybe even maths if it came to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Offside

To be honest I think the price is fair enough - the exams are extremely costly to run and if you can't pay it you don't have to. Failing one exam in ucd incurs a 230 euro repeat fee, more than the fee for repeating students to sit 6+ in the LC.

The Gerry Ryan show people will be talking to me tomorrow, they said today that theyd ring me round 9 30 or so, aswel they said people are more than welcome to voice their opinions be it for me or against me!

The Gerry Ryan show people will be talking to me tomorrow, they said today that theyd ring me round 9 30 or so, aswel they said people are more than welcome to voice their opinions be it for me or against me!

let us know at half nine a more precise time that you'll be going on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

good luck OP:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Let rip OP. Whatever you do, don't hold back. The researchers may give you a reminder about no bad language or obscenitys (ies?). Obey them at your peril.

Best of luck :)

Ya good luck!! dont makean arse of yourself!! ha

were you on yet??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I don't think so! I'll keep listening out to see. Do you have any updated idea about when you will be on?

I don't think so! I'll keep listening out to see. Do you have any updated idea about when you will be on?

he doesnt seem on boards anyway this morning!! maybe he slept in!

couldnt sleep wit the excitment last night and just fell asleep last nightttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

:)

right dont think hes gonna be on.... scammmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

There was a discussion today on the show bout how a presenter in england helped a friend die, and this kind of dominated the programme today. I got a call round 11 saying that they didnt want to put this topic on a day where it was to be dominated by something else. So Alice from the Gerry Ryan Show team said I'll be on tomorrow or Friday.

So no scam :P And the debate about it can continue!

I got a call from her this morning at 8 20, so I suppose I'll get one of those either thursday or Friday, whichever day I'm on, so I'll post it here then!

I think btw that this thread does show that people care about this subject...so more opinions please :)

There was a discussion today on the show bout how a presenter in england helped a friend die, and this kind of dominated the programme today. I got a call round 11 saying that they didnt want to put this topic on a day where it was to be dominated by something else. So Alice from the Gerry Ryan Show team said I'll be on tomorrow or Friday.

So no scam :P And the debate about it can continue!

I got a call from her this morning at 8 20, so I suppose I'll get one of those either thursday or Friday, whichever day I'm on, so I'll post it here then!

Let us know when your going on so

cheers

I will of course,,,

just think it would be cool if this debate continued aswel

• Advertisement

I will of course,,,

just think it would be cool if this debate continued aswel

you want it to be some form of master debate??:D

Was it on this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

Was it on this morning?

Don't think so..

Don't think so..
    Was it on this morning?

NO!!!! DEF not

Cathal,

heard you on this morning! some good points raised!! sounded well to, i would have been completely sh*ting it!

F*ckin' T.D.'s!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Hi thanks! Well I was sh**ing it! But thanks anywho!

Doubt we'll be exactly changing anything this year, but maybe we might be able to do something about the fee for those sitting the Leaving in 2010 (could be the difference of people this year repeating, but not having to pay those ridiculous fees!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Hi thanks! Well I was sh**ing it! But thanks anywho!

Doubt we'll be exactly changing anything this year, but maybe we might be able to do something about the fee for those sitting the Leaving in 2010 (could be the difference of people this year repeating, but not having to pay those ridiculous fees!!!)

Anything but study for the actual Leaving Cert :p

Doing 5 hours a day? I think I've got my study covered, thanks for the concern...

Thought that maybe the burden on our parents with these fees might have been a big issue atm...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

'We' won't be changing anything.
    For the last ten years or so the discussion has been going on within the DES and the SEC about getting rid of the fees altogether. It will happen eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

spurious wrote: »
    'We' won't be changing anything.
    For the last ten years or so the discussion has been going on within the DES and the SEC about getting rid of the fees altogether. It will happen eventually.

Yeah, around about the time the Govt starts to fund our education system properly:rolleyes:

OP, this time next year if you get your college place, you're not going to give a sh*te about the LC fees. They'll see miniscule when compared to college 'registration' fees.

Well done on going on the show and making your point though.

Advertisement