Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RAW file - Zip

• 16-02-2010 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone tell me the best way to compress a folder of RAW files (about 300MB) to a zip? I'm using Vista and when I compress as a zip the size barely decreases.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

If they are already compressed in camera it's not surprising they won't compress much more, many cameras compress their RAWs as a matter of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭khc

so Vista is compressing my NEF files, not the actual folder itself? I found an open source program called 7zip but I don't think it'll compress RAW files

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

Vista is trying to compress your folder and contents, if the contents are already compressed no matter which zip software you use you are unlikely to get much extra space.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭khc

oh dear...this is a nightmare. thanks for the answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭davmigil

Zip isn't much good for compressing raw files. I am presuming you need to send them losslessly as raw files and nothing else will do? Have a look at www.rawzor.com. You are still looking at a 3 figure mb size though! If you can cope with some loss of image info, you would better off converting them down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The Nikon NEF has various options, which can vary with different bodies.

On my D70s it was just RAW which was the 12 bit lossless compressed.

On the D300 there is a choice of 12 or 14 bit files.

Then you can choose Lossy Compressed, Lossless Compressed & Lossless Uncompressed (IIRC)

If you already have the NEF's compressed in the camera you will not get more from a ZIP program.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i believe nikon of all raws are least likely to zip as they use quite complex compression even in 'lossless' from my meandering research into ot a while back. if desperate, maybe zip them and split the zips

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

Computer side to it:-

Zipping can not compress images or audio any further.
    Zipping works on getting rid of all the spaces in coding and documents, see as there is no spaces in images or audio it can't get rid of anything to compress.

Advertisement