Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mini advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

*awaits Paint Doctor to all the info you've ever need*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Cramped, poor value, stingy equipment and totally goes against the values of the original. It basically is the automotive equivalent of a stylish woman's handbag.

Don't get me started on the C-Class Coupe.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,338 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

VolvoMan wrote: »
    Cramped, poor value, stingy equipment and totally goes against the values of the original. It basically is the automotive equivalent of a stylish woman's handbag.

hence women like them i suppose

and come to think of it she is partial to eye wateringly expensive handbags :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Rubbish! I'm 6"2 and I don't find the new Mini to be cramped. Yes, there is'nt a lot of space in back, but so what? One of the most fun to drive cars out there, and they don't seem to give a lot of trouble. Suspension bushings are a weak point, but thats about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The Coopers are apparently good fun, but the the MINI in general is not imbued with the spirit of it's ancestor. As Volvoman said, they're really a woman's handbag on wheels. An MX-5 would handle far better and be more reliable.

• Advertisement

Confab wrote: »
    The Coopers are apparently good fun, but the the MINI in general is not imbued with the spirit of it's ancestor. As Volvoman said, they're really a woman's handbag on wheels. An MX-5 would handle far better and be more reliable.

she doesnt want a 2 seater or a vert so that puts it out on 2 counts

altho i hear ya, id prefer if she got an older boxster personally:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Cyrus wrote: »
    she doesnt want a 2 seater or a vert so that puts it out on 2 counts

altho i hear ya, id prefer if she got an older boxster personally:D

How about a FIAT 500? Surely a nice one of them must fall within budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I was looking at the GT myself but as you said, you could be looking for a while and the figures don't really add up for me.

What about something like your old 325ci?
    Confab wrote:
    As Volvoman said, they're really a woman's handbag on wheels

Some owners might view them as just an accessory, but I think that's a bit of a sweeping statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Drive one, they are great craic! I find the handling excellent, especially for the price! I have no problem driving what some people regard as a "ladies car" it's their loss...
    Not great for carrying backseat passengers, but I have plenty of headroom (6 foot).

Have a look at the various forums, I think there was a minor facelift in 04 and a new model in 05 or 06?

Paintdoc will give a better run thru of the differences, but...

2002-2005(?) One and Cooper had same engine, cooper = 115bhp, one was 90ish? Pretty much same power to 4k rpm, one can be easily remapped for Cooper power.
    Other than that it's mainly trim (paintdoc may confirm if the One had less sporty suspension) -
    eg piddly exhaust on one, less chrome, different grille

Not sure if the choice of contrasting roof colour was confined to the Cooper.

Have a look at the various forums, no major major issues I'm aware of, some power steering pumps fail, some gearbox failures as well? A few production runs had bad connectors on underseat airbag loom. Have never seen the sparkplug issue on any other forum! yikes!

Accessories,options,packs etc? This is definitely up to her -the amount of customisation and accessorising is definitely part of the appeal to the ladies!
    I'd suggest a red/blue/black Cooper with white roof + mirrors (Pepper pack I think), and the bonnet stripes. I think the minilite style wheels are the best looking of the chrome wheels (white can suit some red/blue cars). White cooper with black roof are pretty cool too, maybe avoid yellow,green,silver. (Although the cooper S came in a darker gunmetal type silver which is way better than cooper/one silver)
    Chilli pack adds contrasting colours on the seats and some other stuff?
    As I said, Paintdoc is the expert there..

I find the dipped beam pattern a bit crap with the halogens, (no problem on fulls with spots :D )maybe see if you can find HIDs? I'd reckon they are more common on the Cooper S tho.

Try and get a glove box if you can! Not standard (can see what people mean by stingy spec there alright!) very annoying not to have a proper glovebox...

How about a FIAT 500? Surely a nice one of them must fall within budget.

doesnt like them either apparently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Cyrus, would she consider a Mazda RX-8?

Cyrus, would she consider a Mazda RX-8?

nope she wont, hates them too :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭mjquinno

The white mini is tasty, the wheels on it are the nicest style of wheels in my opinion. That cadburies blue/purple isn't the nicest blue IMO.
    My thoughts on the sunroof/double sunroof is that they ruin the contrasting roof colour. They'd be fine on a black/black car, but I suppose that's personal preference. (I realise I've said they're not ladies cars only to on to post loads of colour/style stuff - sorry!)

Her car (02 cooper) has no EBD/CBC, no Traction control etc, but to be honest the things handle so well neither of us have ever missed em.

Earlier cars only came with one real key and one mini spare key (no remote features)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Cyrus wrote: »
    nope she wont, hates them too :rolleyes:

Hmmmm Mrs Cyrus is a proper woman so....very hard to please! No offence :D

betafrog wrote: »
    Look great with the checkerboard pattern on them...
    True, you'd have to get the checkerboard done alright if you had the panoramic sunroof.

Cyrus, 15inch,16 inch wheels without runflats are accepted as being the best wheel size for first gen MINI's, 16/17 for second gen. The spare drops down from the underside of the body, but to be honest I can't picture many mini drivers changing it themselves. If ye dont go for runflats make sure she has roadside rescue, + a can of tyreweld for real emergencies.

(The cooper S has no spare at all btw)

Check the power steering fluid levels on any you test drive, altho I think the main failure is to do with brushes in the motor or something.

Advertisement