Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of neutering

Options
  • 16-02-2010 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭

Just wondering how much people paid to get their female dogs spayed? I know they differ with weight. We know someone looking to rehome their Westie but we have a male dog so we'd need to get her neutered. My girlfriend's previous Vet clinic were €120 for a female Westie. Is this generally the norm? Just interested to see if prices vary. I've emailed a few Vet clinics but no one got back to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Phsyche

Our vet charged 147 for a springer.
    Your best bet is to ring them or pop in. In my experience they never answer e-mails:)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

I paid €140 for a Sibe Husky in Cork for the three visits (post-op check up, and stitch removal).

Don't know where your based but my vet did a super job, i'd recommend him to anyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Depends on the vet really. I paid €150 for a terrier under 10kg about 2 years ago.

Ring up and ask and make sure you know what kind of weight the dog is. Cheaper is not always better though and as it's a female you're having done then I'd go with recommendations. Whereabouts are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

We're in North Dublin.

Raheny Vets got back to me, 175 for under 5kg, 195 for over 5kg. Thought that was very expensive?

Lissenhall Vets just got back to me a few minutes later. It would be 165 for the operation, 10 for the Elizabethan collar and 10 for the painkiller injection so considering you would have to get the collar and injection basically it's 185 all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

€120 for a Chihuahua

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

Not sure if this is relevant to you but if either of you are receiving certain means-tested benefits you may be entitled to get her neutered for only €20. See www.dogstrust.ie for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

I had a Cavalier done (not my own) with pyometra for about €140 not too long ago (maybe a year). This included operation, painkiller afterwards, antibiotics for 10 days after, stitches out (which I did myself, but the option was there) and collar. €185 or €195 sounds a bit excessive for a Westie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

namurt wrote: »
    Not sure if this is relevant to you but if either of you are receiving certain means-tested benefits you may be entitled to get her neutered for only €20. See www.dogstrust.ie for details.
    Not relevant for us unfortunately but that's great for people who can avail for it.

Advertisement