Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog poo consistency?

Options
  • 16-02-2010 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭

A delightful topic I know but why, when I take our dog for a walk is his poo a bit 'sludgy', while at home in the back garden all the poo is solid?

I've noticed this for the last month or so, so it's not just a temporary thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The harder stools in the garden, would they be first thing in the morning / last thing in the evening affairs?

Because in that case they probably would have been "baking" for that bit longer whereas the stools on the move during the walk would be a bit more loose because of the movement.

Just an idea ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I find when my dog is out for a walk his poos are slightly softer than normal ones, its just down to the excitement of the walk and the running around etc so i wouldnt be worried at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

One of mine is the same; I think it's because the poo on the walk is the second poo of the day and has probably passed through her guts faster, and maybe been pooed before it's entirely 'ready', so to speak.

That said, a change of food did wonders for the consistancy of her poo; now I can actually pick it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Walking actually stimulates dogs to poo and pee, so they usually end up needing to go when they are out and about even if they didn't need to go before they left. Because of this, many poos on walks are not sitting the the digestive tract as long and they usually would thus not all the water is reabsorbed out of them - and gooey poo on walks can be the result. I know that one of mine will go on a walk without fail, even if he has just gone in the garden before we left.

If your dog has dodgy poo more times than ok poo, it may be an option to change food. A good quality food would rectify dodgy poos pretty quickly. If your dog is on a decent quality food and is still having "sludgy" poo, the food may not agree with your dog (every dog is different, not every single food will agree with every dog) and changing it could help. From what you have said though, I wouldn't really worry. Sounds quite usual to me.

Advertisement