Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Netopia 2247-02 & grc.com WPA passwords

Options
  • 16-02-2010 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭

Router: Netopia 2247-02

Software Version: 7.7.0r6

ISP: Eircom

---

I'm out at a house helping someone using a Netopia Router with WEP, along with a default eircom SSID (a neighbour locally was piggybacking..), change over to WPA2 PSK.

Things seem to work fine. I grabbed a key generated from here:

(Gibson Research Corporation - safe for work)

https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

If you scroll down that page, I'm using the password generated as:
    63 printable ASCII characters hashed down to 256 binary bits:

`NrG84]!\?"<o}EiNHO\ePWq!7S6.k/;dCIv@B"V(E\>g4P[8<9U!Jy_r54{n`Y

Now, if I paste that into the Router, it takes it and I set up the connection.. and it works, BUT, if I attempt to go back into the advanced menu, say to add a MAC address to the MAC filtering menu, I get the following:
    Pre Shared Key Error: An invalid Pre Shared Key was entered. The Pre Shared Key must be 8 to 63 characters long.

Yet the connection 'works', both in Linux and XP, along with Windows 7, on a desktop and a laptop.

Are there any issues with the above router accepting printable ASCII keys, or is the Netopia limited to alpha-numeric keys?

I pasted the 'test' key into Notepad2 and it is 63 characters long.

Am I overlooking something simple?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

Amalgam wrote: »
    Router: Netopia 2247-02

Software Version: 7.7.0r6

ISP: Eircom

---

I'm out at a house helping someone using a Netopia Router with WEP, along with a default eircom SSID (a neighbour locally was piggybacking..), change over to WPA2 PSK.

Things seem to work fine. I grabbed a key generated from here:

(Gibson Research Corporation - safe for work)

https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

If you scroll down that page, I'm using the password generated as:

Now, if I paste that into the Router, it takes it and I set up the connection.. and it works, BUT, if I attempt to go back into the advanced menu, say to add a MAC address to the MAC filtering menu, I get the following:

Yet the connection 'works', both in Linux and XP, along with Windows 7, on a desktop and a laptop.

Are there any issues with the above router accepting printable ASCII keys, or is the Netopia limited to alpha-numeric keys?

I pasted the 'test' key into Notepad2 and it is 63 characters long.

Am I overlooking something simple?

You are not overlooking anything, it's a known bug in the web interface of the netopia. Every time you need to go into the wireless Advanced Configuration Options, you have to re-copy and paste the WPA key back in again to avoid getting the error. The telnet interface has a lot more options and doesn't have the bugs that the web interface does. The netopia works fine with all ASCII characters, so no problems there.

Advertisement