Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to create a high-res logo from low res?

• 16-02-2010 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I work with a company whose logo was created by their website development company as part of the website design - they basically updated their previous logo, and didn't charge for it separately (outside of the website design charge).

However, the logo is very low resolution (10kb!) and they need a high-res version for print, etc.

Can this be recreated using free, easy-to-use software? It's not a recurring requirement, so they don't want to buy software.

The logo is very simple, green and white, nothing complicated.

They've asked the website company, but they say they didn't design it - I presume that whoever was working there at the time knocked up a low res version on the fly or something...

Any pointers very welcome. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭majnus

I'm afraid there is nothing you can do with the logo you have.

If you want to have it high res, you need to re-do the whole thing.

Best software to do it is Adobe Illustrator, but it's not free and it's kind of expensive, plus if you've never used it, you won't find it easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭MrGarak

If you know anybody that uses Adobe products this is very simple to do in Illustrator by making a vector of the small image, it can also be done with the pen tool in Photoshop. Once you trace a vector it can be resized without degrading the image quality.

Some free alternatives to Illustrator which may work are Inkscape and GIMP.

If your image is very simple and you want a desperately simple solution try this site that claims to make a vector for you:

http://vectormagic.com/home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Yup - it will have to be traced in illustrator. If it's a simple logo, it will be easy to trace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Can you post up the logo ?

Inkscape as mentioned would probably be your best bet.
    ( I've done some work with it in the past and its rather nice key point about it being Free )

It'll probably take you a while to figure out as I assume you're someone new to graphics.

Depending on the fonts used in the logo you could give http://new.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/ a go in case you're not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Post it up

• Advertisement
Advertisement