Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Litter Of Kits

Options
  • 16-02-2010 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

We have a litter of kits (baby rabbits) born here today, six in total :) They are pretty small but strong and doing good. Mammy built them a nice nest, so they are snuggly and warm :)

Anyone want me to share pictures as they grow? :) Might be good for people who have pregnant rabbits and not sure how to raise them too

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I don't think you're supposed to go near kits that young unless there is an emergency as it can upset the mother and some of them will attack their young. So it's probably best not to be taking pictures of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

Magenta wrote: »
    I don't think you're supposed to go near kits that young unless there is an emergency as it can upset the mother and some of them will attack their young. So it's probably best not to be taking pictures of them.

Total myth ;)
    I give Mammy some veggies and she'll munch away while I check the babies. With all my litters I check them every 24 hours. It is important to check them, especially after they are born as any uneaten placentas or deceased babies will rot and poison all the babies, gruesome, I know. Also, you have to check if they are being fed, incase you have to hand raise them.

It is an old wives tale that they while kill their babies if they smell you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

if its safe i'd love to see them grow!!!

if its safe i'd love to see them grow!!!

Cool
    I have done it before where I take a picture everyday of the litter

Ok, first picture is of the nest. A few days before they give birth a doe will use hay to build a nest and then line it with her own fur. Once the babies are born, she will then cover them with more of her fur. If you put in your hand it is lovely, soft and warm. Looks like a lot of fur but usually you don't even notice it missing from the Mother. She built her nest in a hidey house, it is good to give them a hidey house to have their babies in. It keeps the babies from spreading out all over the cage and getting chilled and the Mother feels more comfortable with having them somewhere dark and secure. I just took the hidey house off when checking.

They babies are under the fur here

x3x3xv.jpg

• Advertisement

Two of the babies at two days old, kits are born naked, blind and deaf. They are starting to get in tiny hairs now though

2lcxzyg.jpg

5nsrwy.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Oh they are lovely. :) Please keep us updated!

I'm getting two Lionheads next weekend! I've had a rabbit before, but she passed away last summer, and I've been wanting one ever since. For some reason my parents didn't like the rabbit and didn't want me getting another one, even though they like the guinea pigs! So I had to sell stuff to make money to get the rabbits and everything they need, that way my parents can't complain. :D

Congrats on the new rabbits :) There babies are lion head too but single maned so we will probably get some with manes and some sleek. They are four days old today and I will try get some pictures when I do the daily check. Have to take them on my phone though cause the camera battery is gone

Aren't they gorgeous :)

Babies at nine days

As you can see, they have their fur!

2hfluvb.jpg

2nurfap.jpg

• Advertisement

I like the blue one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ciars84

They are adorable!

I got my lionheads today and have a suspicion the girl one might already be pregnant! So I might be making a post like this soon . . . we'll see :)

Oh wow, doesn't sound like the person who sold them to you was very responsible :( Let me know if you have any questions on raising baby buns :P

Well I'm not sure if she is pregnant, but I don't mind if she is. :)

Thanks, I have a book on rabbit care and it has a section on breeding and I've been reading all about it just in case.

The babies were two weeks old yesterday, and getting so big. They can now see and here and spent yesterday evening on my bed. They got so excited that they were running around jumping up in the air, cuties.

2rfrmnp.jpg

Hypnotised baby

qqvot4.jpg

2ptrxwi.jpg

1607t6p.jpg

2ljrdat.jpg

This little baby came over and snuggled up beside me

24d0evl.jpg

The babies were two weeks old yesterday, and getting so big. They can now see and here and spent yesterday evening on my bed. They got so excited that they were running around jumping up in the air, cuties.

Oh my God they are SO CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, I think so too :P
    I took new pictures of them today which I'll get up tomorrow

They're so cute, I can't wait til mine are born! (If she is pregnant that is!)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I'm not jealous at all :mad:

:P

• Advertisement

Lol!

Here are a few new pictures, I'll take more tomorrow

Scratch

2pqsu3t.jpg

1zph4ww.jpg

10mu0ew.jpg

So cute! Are they any particular breed?
    We had a lovely black rabbit when I was small, your little black one is just like him.

Thanks, they are lionheads, but single maned so they will have little to no manes.

Just wanted to add as well that all of them will be ready to go on the 13th April, PM me if interested.

Advertisement