Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need a job...

Options
  • 16-02-2010 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

So... I'm a civil engineer and I'm out of work a while now. Graduated just as the recession strarted and didn't last long in the job before everyone was left go... I can't take the unemployment and pointless jobs any longer. I'm thinking of moving to Oz in the summer. Is it hard to get a construction firm to take you on on a WHV? Is it possible to have a job lined up before i go, cause i couldn't afford to be searching for a job too long. Not to bothered about where i go really. How long in advance should i be booking flights/visa's etc if i wanted to head over in Aug/Sept?

Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

oakwood wrote: »
    So... I'm a civil engineer and I'm out of work a while now. Graduated just as the recession strarted and didn't last long in the job before everyone was left go... I can't take the unemployment and pointless jobs any longer. I'm thinking of moving to Oz in the summer. Is it hard to get a construction firm to take you on on a WHV? Is it possible to have a job lined up before i go, cause i couldn't afford to be searching for a job too long. Not to bothered about where i go really. How long in advance should i be booking flights/visa's etc if i wanted to head over in Aug/Sept?

Thanks for any replies.

Are you asking about a civil engineering job? It is possible to pick up a professional job while on a WHV but the thing to remember is...

1. On a WHV you are limited to 6 months work with any employer... this can put employers off as professional jobs tend to be more permanent rather than casual.

2. Most employers are going to want 2 years Post qualification experience.

3. There are already plenty of experienced Irish civil engineers looking to pick up a civil job with sponsorship in Australia...

You could try www.seek.com.au but if you are trying to line up a job before you go.... you need to be sh!t hot at what you do and have a sh!t hot extensive CV.

Goodluck

Advertisement