Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top 50 earners

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

And Drogba is on those wages too, but not one mention.

I can only assume you think he deserves more. Drogba is worth his weight in gold to Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Van Bommel only does well when he wants to. TBH I would be looking for Bayern to replace him. Good captain, not a CL winner though.

Ironic you say that, considering he has a CL medal... Something nobody else in the Bayern squad has (open to correction on that one though).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

eZe^ wrote: »
    Ironic you say that, considering he has a CL medal... Something nobody else in the Bayern squad has (open to correction on that one though).

Forgot about that :D

My point is more that his form (which since the last CL game has been tip-top in fairness to the chap) isn't that of a captain who can lead his team of merry men to CL glory - which is Bayern's goal in the next 2-3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Forgot about that :D

My point is more that his form (which since the last CL game has been tip-top in fairness to the chap) isn't that of a captain who can lead his team of merry men to CL glory - which is Bayern's goal in the next 2-3 years.

Ah I was only messing, I don't regularly watch Bayern, but even for Barca his form was erratic. Although he has a knack for standing up and being counted when it matters, always came across a good no nonsense leader. I'll always love him for doing this to Madrid when he scored in a CL tie.

mark-van-bommel-soll-dem-dfb-sein-verhalten-erklaeren_8cf50e6094.jpg

:p Legend, pay him whatever he asks! ahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Arsenal have consistently competed for the top trophies over the past three years.

Maybe if they'd paid some of their ex players on the list a bit more they might have gone the extra step and won one.

Genius Wenger or falls at the final hurdle Wenger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Stekelly wrote: »
    Maybe if they'd paid some of their ex players on the list a bit more they might have gone the extra step and won one.

Henry and Vieria didn't leave over money, as far as I'm aware. And I think they were afraid to make another offer to Cashley incase the poor bloke ended up killing himself or someone in his car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

There's your answer. We're only competing and financially stable because of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Lets see how things pan out with clubs over the next few years and see if his prudent policy pays dividends. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

m@cc@ wrote: »
    How many of them clowns would make it into your top 50 players? 2 or 3 maybe? The Bayern wages are staggering for a club that hasn't really challenged for the CL for a few years.

I saw a list of the wages for the Bayern squad a while back and I was surprised how well they pay. Even the the squad players way down the list were on pretty good money.

And we certainly know now why Wayne Bridge joined City. It's mind-boggling that a merely good (but certainly nowhere near great) player like him can command that kind of money now. It's not long ago that only the top players in the world could even dare to ask for that sort of dosh. I don't see how clubs can sustain such massive wages in the long run though, it's a bubble waiting to burst imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Torres on the same money as Gareth Barry lol

I know it's a disgrace, the Spaniard only plays on average every second game. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

are people taking the piss about arsenals wage bill? they have the third highest wage bill in 2008, granted City have probably over taken them but it was over 20m more than Liverpools at that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Mr Alan wrote: »
    are people taking the piss about arsenals wage bill? they have the third highest wage bill in 2008, granted City have probably over taken them but it was over 20m more than Liverpools at that time.
    Yes but they also turned over about an extra 60 million more then Liverpool

Sorry just realised this whasn't your point at all /disregard

But don't Arsenal have a quite a Large squad of kids on pretty big money

In what sense? They have a high overall wage bill but, it's more evenly spread out than most of the other clubs.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Deco earning more than Drogba is hilarious. In a twisted way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Like who??

Adebayor - was a negative influence with ideas well above he's station, he's wages at City are a joke (a bad one at that)

Henry - was past he's best and we got a very good price.

Toure - Give me Tommy the Tank anyday of the week.

A. Cole - great player horrible person he wanted out no point an fighting to keep someone who wants away that bad.

P Viera - We got the best years out of him and has done nothing since he left, that money from City is laughable, but fair play to Paddy wouldnt begrudge him at all.

Diarra - Fine player but had serious notions about himself and no patience, have no doubt Wenger would have made him a better player.

Anelka - Just doesnt stay anywhere too long and Im sure if one of the spanish giants or City came with the open wallet he would be off too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

29. Luca Toni (Bayern Monaco / Roma) 458.000
    31. Arjen Robben (Bayern Monaco) 458.000
    41. Willy Sagnol (Bayern Monaco) 416.000
    42. Frank Ribery (Bayern Monaco) 416.000

Who are Bayern Monaco..>?!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Yes but they also turned over about an extra 60 million more then Liverpool

Sorry just realised this whasn't your point at all /disregard

But don't Arsenal have a quite a Large squad of kids on pretty big money
    jasonorr wrote: »
    In what sense? They have a high overall wage bill but, it's more evenly spread out than most of the other clubs.

people were calling Wenger a genius for his control of the wage bill.

thats nonsense.

his wage bill is huge, its just instead of paying huge wages to top players, he pays very good wages to all manner of young players, while his approach may prove to work over the next couple of years. at the moment, it isn't. so calling him a genius for it, is a tad silly.

Who said this?? I was the one who said the list provided further proof of Wengers genius, never said anything about overall wage bill?? Do you think top players who are offered huge sums of money e.g. Adebayor are happy to stay at Arsenal because the overall wage bill is large but their share is considerably less than those on offer at the City's and Chelseas of this world.

the list is about wages.

you said the list was further proof of his genius?

em, no its not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Paleface

thats nonsense.

his wage bill is huge, its just instead of paying huge wages to top players, he pays very good wages to all manner of young players, while his approach may prove to work over the next couple of years. at the moment, it isn't. so calling him a genius for it, is a tad silly.

I think the point they are making is that he's managed to keep the team competitive both domestically and in Europe without bowing to the wage demands of players like most other clubs have done.

I don't think many other managers could have made it work.

• Advertisement

the list is about wages.

you said the list was further proof of his genius?

em, no its not.

Obviously not for people with limited comprehension skills!

of course he is bowing to the wage demands of players.

just possibly the wrong players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,437 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

#9 might be but #44 isn't.

well played sir! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Paleface

of course he is bowing to the wage demands of players.

just possibly the wrong players.

It remains to be seen if the younger players you're alluding to are the wrong players or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

It has been suggested that arsenal's wage bill is that high in total because Arsenal include all image rights and other expenses in their wage bill whereas other clubs do not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

If you go by wages, apparently Victor Valdez is as good as Iker Casillas, Deco is as valuable as Wayne Rooney, and David Villa is worth the same as Luca Toni. Lunacy.

Also, I know Barca are a big team, but wow, there wages are staggering, especially considering there is no billionaire owner there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

playa3 wrote: »
    It has been suggested that arsenal's wage bill is that high in total because Arsenal include all image rights and other expenses in their wage bill whereas other clubs do not.

really? why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

A. Cole - great player horrible person he wanted out no point an fighting to keep someone who wants away that bad.

Didn't all the Cashley stuff start because Cole was promised a certain wage deal that he'd be offered at the end of the season and then after having a great one he was lowballed by the club and got pissed off at them?
    Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Who are Bayern Monaco..>?!

It's the Italian name for Munchen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

As far as I remember, taxes on those wages in England are about 50%, compared to about 25% for players in Spain. Pretty sure those figures are before tax. If tax was factored in, the list would be significantly different.

edit:

24% in Spain according to this (possibly out of date) link:
    http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/spain/091107/kick-the-buck

50% in England:
    http://www.tribalfootball.com/arsenal-boss-wenger-uk-taxes-stalling-january-market-581351

thats nonsense.

I didn't comment on his "control of the wage bill", we have high wages but I'd imagine being in London is a contributing factor. I'm pretty sure Arsenal have the lowest wages/turnover ratio in the league which, is commendable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

11. Thierry Henry (Barcellona) 625.000

He has a very hands on job in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Voltwad wrote: »

ill get your coat :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭oconnon9

Voltwad wrote: »

sloppy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Headshot wrote: »
    ill get your coat :p
    Couldn't resist :pac:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

playa3 wrote: »
    ding ding ding

The deloitte stats that show Arsenal's bill being much higher than Liverpool's don't give an accurate picture. The club's youngsters aren't really paid particularly differently to any of the other big clubs.

any link to that? or why they would include image rights and other club expenses in the wage bill for arsenal only?

Advertisement