Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats wrong with the Security board?

Options
  • 28-11-2004 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

FAO: dogs

Why was I banned for posting a problem on spyware in the Security board? I make the following points:

- I didnt read the sticky. My fault.
    - Spyware is a security issue in my book.
    - My post was there to help others not only myself, Im sure Im not the only one with Spyware issues.
    - Whats the point in having 'security discussions' only? Discussions fair enough, but we come to Boards because we want answers and solutions.
    - I cant find a more suitable board for my query other than Security. It seems the most suitable.
    - Maybe you should consider changing these rules, I give to Boards.ie - I dont think its unreasonable to expect a little back.
    - Did you move my post?

Thanks

Heres my original post. I dont see this as me wasting bandwidth or trying to leech information.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=204958
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

You should have PM'd dogs first, you broke the Charter, seems fairly clear to me.
    [edit] It appears that your issue is supposed to go into the Windows forum [/edit]

I recommend going to Techboards.net if you have no joy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

hi CuLT,

I take your points. Thanks. BTW, dogs suggest I post here. Also, security is not solely a Windows issue.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Your particular case happened to be; and that's all that should really be concerning you :) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

This subject has been discussed at length already, and you're certainly not alone in being banned from that board for being unknowingly off-topic... but it doesn't look like something they're going to bend on any time soon.
    I'm not sure you're even going to get more than a throw-away response from the people at the top, since they seem to get tired explaining things twice.
    Log out and read the charter on the security forum, they thrash out the reasoning behind the decision there.
    As I see it, the security board has always been more of a place to share new information on potential security/privacy risks... in a way I can understand how they'd be a bit miffed to be swamped with questions that require a "use a spyware remover or virus scanner" response.
    At the same time I think the forum title is a bit misleading, as it would appear to be more all-encompassing than it really is... maybe a change of title to something like "Security Discussion" would seperate it a bit from the surrounding windows/computers boards where said offending topics are expected.

maybe a change of title to something like "Security Discussion"

Here here. At least keep things logical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

kazzer wrote:
    At least keep things logical.

Read the charter.. -> READ BEFORE POSTING OR YOU MAY BE BANNED

That info was already posted. I think I got it. Contribute or dont. Dont waste bandwidth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

kazzer wrote:
    That info was already posted. I think I got it. Contribute or dont. Dont waste bandwidth.

A similar incident happened about a week ago.. - so dont waste the bandwidth.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

I'll try my best to waste as little bandwith as possible.

From the start...
    kazzer wrote:
    FAO: dogs
    Why was I banned for posting a problem on spyware in the Security board? I make the following points:

- I didnt read the sticky. My fault.
    To me it looks like you've answered your own question, I really can't make it any simpler than how you've already put it. You didn't read the rules, you broke them, you got banned.

kazzer wrote:
    - Spyware is a security issue in my book.
    It sure is. Tech support however, isn't.
    kazzer wrote:
    - My post was there to help others not only myself, Im sure Im not the only one with Spyware issues.
    - Whats the point in having 'security discussions' only? Discussions fair enough, but we come to Boards because we want answers and solutions.
    Help others ? The answer to your problem in the first google result.

The "point" in having a board for security discussions only is that there's a board where people can discuss security. You come to boards because you want answers and solutions ? That's fine, there are lots of really smart helpful people here too -- but not everyone wants to fix your computer.
    kazzer wrote:
    - I cant find a more suitable board for my query other than Security. It seems the most suitable.
    Perhaps if you'd spent a minute or two looking at the board rather than hitting the New Post button you'd have seen several threads have already been moved to the Windows board.

If I had a problem installing an OpenSSH upgrade on my Mac, would it be on-topic to post to the Security board ? Of course not, and it's this distinction you need to understand. Really, it's not that hard.
    kazzer wrote:
    - Maybe you should consider changing these rules, I give to Boards.ie - I dont think its unreasonable to expect a little back.
    Sorry, my pay cheque was late this month :/

I enforce the rules of the security board with the permission of the admins. If you want to change the rules I'm open to discussion, that's what went on in the READ BEFORE POSTING OR YOU MAY BE BANNED thread. Don't think you're going to change the rules by breaking them and I'm not sure why you expect special treatment for €50 a year.

kazzer wrote:
    - Did you move my post?
    It's locked.

kazzer wrote:
    Heres my original post. I dont see this as me wasting bandwidth or trying to leech information.
    Not sure where you got the waste of bandwidth bit from, but just to make everything nice and clear, here's the PM I sent you and it's exactly the same for everyone who gets banned like this from the Security board.
    dogs wrote:
    Hi,

You've been temporarily banned from the Security board.

The purpose of the Security board is for security discussion only, it is NOT a technical support board.

Right at the top of the Security board is a thread titled "READ BEFORE POSTING OR YOU MAY BE BANNED".

You didn't. You are.

You'll be unbanned at some later stage, if you think I'm being unfair you can always post on the Feedback or Help boards (under System).

SantaHoe wrote:
    I'm not sure you're even going to get more than a throw-away response from the people at the top, since they seem to get tired explaining things twice.

When have I ever been unwilling to discuss this ?

If you (or anyone) can make a good case for tech support threads on the Security board then I'll be happy to change the rules.

FIGHT THE POWER!!!!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

That's fine, there are lots of really smart helpful people here too -- but not everyone wants to fix your computer.

Then dont reply. Simple.

Case closed. Bye

dogs wrote:
    When have I ever been unwilling to discuss this ?
    I refer to the admins in this case.
    dogs wrote:
    If you (or anyone) can make a good case for tech support threads on the Security board then I'll be happy to change the rules.
    Read my post again, I don't take issue to how you run the board.
    dogs wrote:
    FIGHT THE POWER!!!!! :rolleyes:
    Jesus, shut up.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Can someone explain to me how changing the name to "Security Discussion" is going to help people avoid the sort of mistake that kazzar made? If people can't spot that this is a simple tech support issue then I don't think the proposed new name would tip them off. Perhaps an update to the description of the forum would be more fruitful. This topic is probably overdue for being the latest entry on the FAQ thread too.

kazzer wrote:
    Then dont reply. Simple.

Case closed. Bye

I cannot defeat this logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

kazzer wrote:
    Whats wrong with the Security board?
    People not reading the f*cking charter and then wondering why they got banned.

Case closed. Bye.

ecksor wrote:
    Can someone explain to me how changing the name to "Security Discussion" is going to help people avoid the sort of mistake that kazzar made? If people can't spot that this is a simple tech support issue then I don't think the proposed new name would tip them off.
    I was just thinking of it as a new user might...
    "Security" huh? Security what? "Security help"? "Security Advice?"
    "Security discussion" at least rules out the above assumptions.
    Just throwing out a suggestion I thought may have been helpful at the time, I don't care either way tbqh.
    Although I see what you mean, the sticky isn't exactly hard to spot. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

ecksor wrote:
    Can someone explain to me how changing the name to "Security Discussion" is going to help people avoid the sort of mistake that kazzar made?

How about "Security - read the charter before you post!" or "Security - Google is your spyware friend"?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Just make a popup window appear after entering the forum. This could contain some cookies that would search the users hard drive for his/her private files. Then when the user posts a new thread and/or post, the popup window could popup again and inform the user that "they better have read the charter or their 'list' will be posted instead of their post".

Should be easy enough to do in HTLM surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Meep!

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

If you are going to rename it, it would probably be better to rename it to something that security based people would know like a slang term so that your average punter would skip over it.

A bit like "GLB" (Which tbh I had to go into the forum to find out what it was).

• Advertisement
Advertisement