Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sleep help

Options
  • 16-02-2010 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

my friend has really bad insomina,getting only 2 hrs sleep at nite best.
    im worried and searching for a sleep clinic that mointier people suffering from sleep problems, hes tried hypno therapy and other things but none have worked. id really appreicate any info.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Has he been to his doctor about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

mellowmeg wrote: »
    my friend has really bad insomina,getting only 2 hrs sleep at nite best.
    im worried and searching for a sleep clinic that mointier people suffering from sleep problems, hes tried hypno therapy and other things but none have worked. id really appreicate any info.
    Go to a gp. sleep problems can be caused by many underlying different medical/psychological problems. Theres a sleep lab at the mater hospital but you'd need to be refered there from GP

• Registered Users Posts: 30 mellowmeg

the doctors have given him 20ml/g sleeping tabelts per nite,too much i think. is there more clinics than the matter hospital?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

i go through phases of sleeplessness usually when im stressed, i suggest maybe a counceller or sleep disorder therapist, maybe they can give more information, i gotta say myself that i usually revert back to a somewhat normal sleep pattern every couple of months

i dont think its that simple for him, its been going on for about three yrs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I think if the doc has prescribed him medication and it's not suiting/working he needs to go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Irish_wolf

If meds and hypnosis wont get him more sleep per night then tell your friend to try polyphasic sleep, it will mean they get the same hours rest everyday but in a manner with is most beneficial... If they can manage it.

There are countless blogs out there by people who have attempted it and it seems reasonable enough with few side effects after you've settled into it, apart from being awake when everyone else is asleep.

I remember I read a very compelling blog about it a while ago but cant remember who wrote it.... if i stumble across it I'll post it here
    :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

the doctors have given him 20ml/g sleeping tabelts per nite,too much i think. is there more clinics than the matter hospital?

surely if a medical professional has prescribed a medication at a particular dose, its not up to you to make judgements on the dose and/or the particular tablet?

i dont think its that simple for him, its been going on for about three yrs.
    i realise that but what im suggestiong is there might be some other underlying problem and i would suggest going to a councellor or psycologist, i was only sharing my experience, i usually get 4 hours of sleep at a time or can go a whole week with only 7 hours or less in that week:)

sam34 wrote: »
    surely if a medical professional has prescribed a medication at a particular dose, its not up to you to make judgements on the dose and/or the particular tablet?
    i realise this but in my experiance some(not all) doctors and psychraists etc believe a tablet cures all ailments,and a constant condition like insoimna has under lying issues that need to be looked at.

• Advertisement

biomed32 wrote: »
    i realise that but what im suggestiong is there might be some other underlying problem and i would suggest going to a councellor or psycologist, i was only sharing my experience, i usually get 4 hours of sleep at a time or can go a whole week with only 7 hours or less in that week:)
    i worry about him working on such little sleep,hes either not affected or very good at hiding it! how do you find your mental state when you have very little rest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

i realise this but in my experiance some(not all) doctors and psychraists etc believe a tablet cures all ailments,and a constant condition like insoimna has under lying issues that need to be looked at.

i think most doctors, psychiatrists included, are very keenly aware that tablets do not cure all ailments, but that they can help somewhat, in the absence of a magic wand

i worry about him working on such little sleep,hes either not affected or very good at hiding it! how do you find your mental state when you have very little rest?

i find im generally ok, sometimes a little wired, sometimes a little tired but you get used to it really quickly and dont always notice how long i have gone without sleep or with sleep, generally i wouldnt really be all that concerned about it unless he started getting run down and that

biomed32 wrote: »
    i find im generally ok, sometimes a little wired, sometimes a little tired but you get used to it really quickly and dont always notice how long i have gone without sleep or with sleep, generally i wouldnt really be all that concerned about it unless he started getting run down and that

A big thing I also found very helpful was a late night swim, 10-11 at night about 40 lenghts or so and that did a lot to knock me out, I have also taken up road cycling at the weekend and find that helps a lot, let me know if any of that helps at all, it certainly did for me when i was bad:)

Advertisement