Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External hard-drive please

Options
  • 16-02-2010 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hi lads,
    Anyone have a tip for a reasonably priced external hard drive.
    Needs to be mains powered and over 500gig.
    Preferably nice and quiet as its to be used for multi media storage.

Either online or Dublin area bricks and mortar.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Try here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭johndoc

h8red wrote: »

Thanks. I'll have a look there

newbie2 wrote: »
    Try here

You use that to respond to all the posts in the requests forum?
    A phase comes to mind.......

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭clickhere

Komplett.ie have a western digital 1tb for €79 at pick up point. I find them a good drive. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,936 ✭✭✭✭Basq

newbie2,

If you've nothing useful to say, don't bother!

Mmmkay?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

h8red wrote: »

Not that great a price.

Try PC World (I know, shocker!) as they had 1TB WD Elements drives for 79 euro up to last week in Limerick. They've been in and out of stock since January, so you may need to hunt around. Best price I've seen on these disks.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭doopa

johndoc wrote: »
    Hi lads,
    Anyone have a tip for a reasonably priced external hard drive.
    Needs to be mains powered and over 500gig.
    Preferably nice and quiet as its to be used for multi media storage.

Either online or Dublin area bricks and mortar.

Thanks

I really recommend the LaCie Network space. You stick a network cable from it to your router and then all the computers in your network can use it, desktop, laptop, friends etc.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LaCie-Network-Space-1TB-7200RPM/dp/B001D13LKG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1266613165&sr=1-2

Its one hundred sterling or about 150 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭samsausage

jor el wrote: »
    Not that great a price.

Try PC World (I know, shocker!) as they had 1TB WD Elements drives for 79 euro up to last week in Limerick. They've been in and out of stock since January, so you may need to hunt around. Best price I've seen on these disks.

PC world in carrickmines has that 1TB elements in stock and also have the 1TB WD MyBook Essential for a tenner extra

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

bumpage.

Probably gonna sound like a strange question, but does anyone know if these various great value external HDDs, could be taken apart and used as glorified caddys/enclosures?
    Putting aside the voiding warranty issue of course, could you open em up easily enough and slap another HDD from your Desktop inside?

Caddys/Enclosures can be somewhat expensive at times, so getting an external HDD instead could be more viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

norbert64 wrote: »
    Caddys/Enclosures can be somewhat expensive at times, so getting an external HDD instead could be more viable.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370261617268

Just the cables? I've bought those and while cheap they work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

I picked up a western digital my book essential 1 TB in PC World for 99.99 euro, very good hard drive and can't fault it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭metalgear2k2

http://www.dabs.ie/products/western-digital-1tb-elements-desktop-usb2-6CTB.html?q=western%20digtal%20elements

pretty good deal, got one myself about 6 months ago, cant fault it so far.

Advertisement