Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attaching heavy cupboard to plasterboard wall

• 16-02-2010 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

Attaching a cupboard which weighs weight:14,7 kg to a wall in my house. It's an internal wall. Wall is plasterboard on timber frame (I'm guessing).

House is about five years old.

Cupboard is FAR HEAVIER than I originally had planned for.
    Dimensions are
    Width: 120 cm
    Depth: 28 cm
    Height: 35 cm (link to cupboard spec)

69179_PE183923_S3.jpg

Also the places where you attach cupboard to the wall are fixed - holes at the top left and right hand of each corner.

I had wanted to make it a shelf in my utility room and put it up against the ceiling.

Plan now is to put it up over door. "Rest" the cupboard(shown in broken line) on the door frame and have brackets(show XXX but obviously the other way round) from the top of the cupboard which will attach to the plasterboard and timber either side of the door frame. (door frame in *) Assusming that there is a timber frame either side of door (timber frame x)

x x
    x x
    XXX XXX
    |
    | x
    | | x
    | | x
    | | x
    |
    | x
    x ********************** x
    x * * x
    x * * x
    x * * x
    x * * x
    Are these screws from Aldi good enough to use to attach it to the timber frame?

If not, what's the best thing to use?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Theres no problem sticking with your original idea ..if you rest it on a 2x1 baton you could screw through the top panel into the ceiling joists (ignoring the screw holes in the unit) if you can find a couple ,being 4ft wide that shouldnt be a problem...or turn it upside down so the screw holes are on the bottom and you wont need the baton ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Jokesetal

Yep, it has to rest on something (otherwise you'll need plasterboard/butterfly type fixings). A 2x1 underneath will give you plenty of support where ever you want it. You can find the timber in the plaster board easily enough also. Just draw an outline wherever you want to put the unit, and drill a row of 2mm holes across until you find the 4x2 and then it's usually 400mm to the next one (remember the holes will be hidden).

Aldi and Lidl screws are not the best, the heads easily shear, better going for a decent brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Jokesetal wrote: »
    Aldi and Lidl screws are not the best, the heads easily shear, better going for a decent brand.

Is there a brand that you would recommend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I'd go with Spax.

Most builders providers sell them, B&Q might too.

Advertisement