Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attaching heavy cupboard to plasterboard wall

• 16-02-2010 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

Attaching a cupboard which weighs weight:14,7 kg to a wall in my house. It's an internal wall. Wall is plasterboard on timber frame (I'm guessing).

House is about five years old.

Cupboard is FAR HEAVIER than I originally had planned for.
    Dimensions are
    Width: 120 cm
    Depth: 28 cm
    Height: 35 cm (link to cupboard spec)

69179_PE183923_S3.jpg

Also the places where you attach cupboard to the wall are fixed - holes at the top left and right hand of each corner.

I had wanted to make it a shelf in my utility room and put it up against the ceiling.

Plan now is to put it up over door. "Rest" the cupboard(shown in broken line) on the door frame and have brackets(show XXX but obviously the other way round) from the top of the cupboard which will attach to the plasterboard and timber either side of the door frame. (door frame in *) Assusming that there is a timber frame either side of door (timber frame x)
                     x                                         x
                     x                                         x
                    XXX                                    XXX   
              |--------------------------------|  x
              |                                             |  x
              |--------------------------------|  x
                     x ********************** x
                     x *                                    * x

Are these screws from Aldi good enough to use to attach it to the timber frame?

If not, what's the best thing to use?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭dunlopwellies

If you are screwing into the timber stud then a screw specifically for timber is what you need similar to the brass ones shown in your picture. If you are fixing into the plasterboard there are special plasterboard fixings you will need. The plasterboards fixings are good but not good enough to hold up such press on their own. Some of the first 3 on the link below is what you are looking for. you will ger them in any DIY store. Just googled for the images below
    http://www.lenehans.ie/lenehans/Main/Subcategory2.asp?CatID=120&SubID=1000

Advertisement